Help needed with my sound...neighbour complaining....

sorin

I need your help guys...big time. I have a walkout basement and as you will be able to see in the picture when i have some party's my neighbour complaining about low noise ( boom,boom ) look like is from the base. I have the music just on the two front speakers no subwoofer because i use that just on the movies. The sound is very good just from the two speakers and the base is amazing what is coming out. I leave in a detach house and I was thinking now i will be able to put my music louder but the complaining what i get from neighbour is too much. There is something what i am able to do to stop this low base sound travel to his house. When you look to the picture on the left side there is a bar in that opening and this is where my neighbour is on that side.I have Yamaha receiver with 5 speakers Klipsch and subwoofer Klipsch.

My problem is with the music if i am able to do something because when i watch a movie and i use the whole package i have no complaints because the action on the movie is for couple seconds at the time when you hear the effects compare with the base from the music.

I will attach two pictures for you to see and I hope you will be able to give some advise.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help.

Look like i am not able to upload no picture it will not work...could be because i use Mac ? I try but i was not able and i do not know why...Sorry

Sorin

thank you so much....it make a big difference the way you said compare how i was using just the two front speakers ,also i am choosing different sound setting on the receiver where it will not have to much base ...just for late nights...thanks again.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!

Dude! You have a Guinness tap! I am jealous!

My advise would be to walk around the outside of your home, and see where the bass seems to be the greatest. I would guess the doors and windows. Since the speakers are placed away from the doors in the picture, the bass is bouncing off the facing wall and slamming into those doors. If you were to reposition your setup facing the bar, I bet things would improve...

Well now...

"PISSING OFF THE NEIGHBORS SINCE 1946"

Success Indeed...

th?id=H.5009878254487332&pid=1.7

Took the words right out of my mouth. I all ways wonder if the neighbors have issues but no complaints yet, guess I should turn it up more. Maybe some bass traps would help absorb some of the bass.

I try to be respectful of my neighbors, but it is not difficult. I have had the stereo on relatively loud at night and have been worried about waking the neihbors. But when I go outside you can only hear a slight amount of bass, not enugh to make it to the next house or upset anyone. For some reason it does not get loud outside even with the stereo turned up (an we have really crappy construction here, so it is not that I have a great house).

• Some people are hypersensitive to music from next door. I always wonder how they like leaf blowers, motorized lawnmowers, etc. I'm convinced it's a psychological condition, unless you are blasting after midnight, or so, on a week night. People in my parent's generation (born in the first decade of the 20th Century) were raised to think that it was some kind of sin for anyone to have music at a level that it could be heard from next door. After all, they started out with wind-up phonographs, and, later, low power radios with pointy tubes, and speakers without permanent magnets. So, if your neighbors are in their 90s or older, that may be your problem. We just about reversed the loudness phobia in the '60s and '70s, but when my wife and I built our first music room in a new neighborhood, we put in a floating floor and double walls which also floated, in order to take a composer's ff or fff literally, and to acomodate Bernstein's "Presto Barbaro." As soon as we finished, we noticed that the neighborhood seemed to have no problem with the air being full of everyone else's music including Knights in White Satin on infinite repeat (the guy would dance to it for an hour at a time in flowing white robes, apparently with nothing on under them, in front of unshaded windows, with lights trained on him. No problem at all. They also had no problem with forever running motorcycles, the above mentioned garden appliances, and the Blue Angels buzzing our houses in the fog. It was then that I concluded that loud sound was patriotic. It scares the enemy.
  • It may help to put thick rubber pads under your speakers just for the party -- unless you are on a concrete floor, which won't move sympathetically (well, almost never).
  • If you really want to do it up, put a sliding wall behind the bar, just for the parties. When in place, it would have to be airtight and as stiff as possible. Jeff Cooper's book on building a recording studio in the home may help.
  • You have the sliding glass door closed after about 10 pm, right? Some very thick glass, wide air space doors are out there somewhere ... Google Rives to ask where they are available. It's worth a try, anyway.
  • Let your neighbors know a couple of days ahead of the party, and ask for their indulgence, or invite them, as others have said.

I believe there is art involved in not pissing off the neighbors.

A balance of respecting power usage, dispersion, and how the mind differentiates between random sounds vs. noise. Putting the SPL's on target where they're needed, and no where else.

Using no more power than necessary to achieve a satisfactory SPL in the listening area. Putting the majority of the music power where it counts...into the sub. Spreading the remainder of the signal across as many drivers as possible to maximize system sensitivity.

Just my .02

It has kept them off my back for the past 5 years.

• Knights in White Satin on infinite repeat (the guy would dance to it for an hour at a time in flowing white robes, apparently with nothing on under them, in front of unshaded windows, with lights trained on him.

Dude! Where ya been? I thought you loved the way I danced.