And what will $50 buy you in the Klipsch world these days?

wuzzzer

A pair of walnut Chorus I speakers! Saw a pair on craigslist this morning that were about a 45 minute drive for me. Called the guy immediately. Told him I was headed to church and that I live 45 minutes away and could be there between 12:30 and 1. Guy said fantastic. When I got there he showed me a garage filled with his son's stuff that he just dumped at his place. Unfortunately the guy had no idea what he had. He asked me if they played loud and I said I hope so! He said they must not vibrate much since they're so heavy. I hope they vibrate!!

The guy was very nice - he said he had tons of phone calls about the speakers and couldn't figure out why. They were listed for $50 or best offer. I almost offered less since I had my drive and time but didn't want to lose out on the deal. I'm going to clean up the cabinets, repair the tear in the woofer and probably use them as surround speakers once I move back into the basement.

• Moderators

That's harsh dtel, but oh what fun that phone call would be. SWEET SCORE!

Yes it is [:)] but it's probably just laziness on the kids part, 1 min on fleabay would have told him they were worth at least 3-4 or more times that amount.

Glad you got them back into circulation where they can be appreciated. [Y]

The cabinets are really beat up. The guy had them upside down in his garage on the bare floor. [:@] I thought only for a moment about sanding and refinishing them but I think I'll just end up painting them a semi-gloss black. I took everything apart and vacuumed the insides. That's one bad thing about ported speakers. Never know what spiderwebs and junk will be inside!

I soaked the grilles in my bathtub with a few drops of dish soap. They were brown before, now they're black. The water looked disgusting. They're drying right now. [+o(]

Each tweeter magnet had a sticker on the back with the following hand-written on them: CUST WAR 4-28-89 OD TC. Anyone have any idea what that means?

For now they're going to be in the basement hooked up to an old Aiwa boombox. Can't wait to really hear that Chorus sing!

That's harsh dtel, but oh what fun that phone call would be. SWEET SCORE!

Yes it is Smile but it's probably just laziness on the kids part, 1 min on fleabay would have told him they were worth at least 3-4 or more times that amount.

Glad you got them back into circulation where they can be appreciated. Yes

My wife said she felt bad the guy only asked $50 for them. I told her if he was internet savvy enough to be able to post them for sale on craigslist he could easily have done a little research to see what they were really worth. Realistically I think in their current condition $200-250 would be a fair price for them. At least that's probably what they'd be worth parted out pending all drivers working.

Posted Image

Here's how they looked when I picked them up. [8-)]

I calculated that I paid $3.56 a pound for them. Not a bad haul!

I paid $400 total for my Chorus, forte and SB-3 speakers (not including the upgrades on my fortes).

• Moderators

I soaked the grilles in my bathtub with a few drops of dish soap. They were brown before, now they're black. The water looked disgusting. They're drying right now. Ick!

I do that when I buy used speakers with plastic grills too except I use laundry detergent since it not only cleans, but it adds a nice smell to them. [:D] Aren't the Chorus grill frames made of wood?

Nope, they're plastic. They seem to be exactly like my forte grilles except they're not attached by magnets.

Did the Chorus speakers have actual ports in them or did they just basically have two large holes in the motorboards?

After looking at various pics online it looks like the ports are just holes in the motorboard. Sitting and listening to Pandora Radio through them right now. Man do they sound awesome. I really want to move them upstairs and hook them up to the Panasonic. I really think that once I get them looking all purty again I just might be using them as my main speakers!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought these for the top 4 corners on each speaker: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350693136036. The seller had the speakers sitting upside-down in his garage and each top corner isn't in too great of condition. After I get the cabinets refinished I'm going to install them on each of the four top corners. I think it will help dress them up and hide the ugly corners.

Replaced the grill cloth on both grills tonight. Wasn't too difficult at all. Only one grill had an emblem on it when I bought them so until I find another badge they'll remain badge-less for now.

Total investment including the speakers themselves - under $100. [:o]

if at all possible, i would suggest restoring or refinishing instead of painting. They will retain better value and heritage resemblance that way. Thats what i did to a pair of Heresy that i've bought. After buying tools, supplies, spending 3-4 days restoring and selling them - i didn't make any more (actually just broke even, no counting my labor). But at least they have looked like new.

Ironically, my best Klipsch scores have been on sets in perfect condition....

I've patched the holes, sanded the cabinets, painted motorboard, fixed wiring connections on the back, cleaned up the grills and woofers, reglued badges, restored chiped corners, stained them.

post-12246-1381982798324_thumb.jpg