Tired of life on Earth? Why not try Mars?????

tube fanatic

it's not that they did not find anything.....the issue is a mission has not been completed yet which has the objective of finding a twig, a blade of grass, or toilet paper. it's basic validation and verification. a recent review of re-photographing an area previously photographed shows what looks like ice formations within the tracks in soil of some of our rover vehicles. is this frozen water that surfaced as the rovers passed? is this a formation caused by a reaction the rovers were responsible for (do the rovers attrack condensation), etc. experiments need to be designed to find specific results.

Ironic that the last space race/Nasa created the biggest economic boom the world has ever seen from the internet to computers to processors to cell phones to lasers to fibre optics to electronic fuel injection to all digital products to?

JJK

I do not wish to ignite a firestorm of divisiveness but I've always believed that a well funded space program was a crucible of innovation. Many of these innovations go on to become thriving tech companies providing jobs and a myriad high tech products available to Joe & Jane Sixpack.

Gutting a space program with a long proven record of innovation is in my opinion very short sighted. The billion dollars given to a group of very smart and very tatalented scientists and engineers will reap MUCH more in the way of "benefit to all" than handing out that same billion dollars in the form of food stamps.

The arguments over spending billions on space research versus spending those same billions on social programs here on Earth will rage on endlessly.

Someone once said:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 35th US President.

I do not wish to ignite a firestorm of divisiveness but I've always believed that a well funded space program was a crucible of innovation. Many of these innovations go on to become thriving tech companies providing jobs and a myriad high tech products available to Joe & Jane Sixpack.

I'd really like to see a "Space Program" style effort for US energy independence.

Just had a great idea. Craig and I can both sign up for this trip and be pod-mates for the rest of our lives!!! We could start a new company called Tube Amps From Mars. The possibilities are just limitless....... Guess I had a few beers too many with dinner!

Hey now... sometimes great ideas are spawned following the consumption of a few brews... Please continue...

I'd really like to see a "Space Program" style effort for US energy independence.

Now that would be money well spent.

Just had a great idea. Craig and I can both sign up for this trip and be pod-mates for the rest of our lives!!! We could start a new company called Tube Amps From Mars. The possibilities are just limitless....... Guess I had a few beers too many with dinner!

Hey now... sometimes great ideas are spawned following the consumption of a few brews... Please continue...

If someone ended up in a hospital is your ideal of a good idea then by all means LOL!!!!!!!!!

If someone ended up in a hospital is your ideal of a good idea then by all means LOL!!!!!!!!!

Well, I certainly would not want anyone to wind up in the hospital.

Let's predict that these thinkers will be responsible consumers of adult beverages.

Well, I've watched this one play out with the usual suspects making the predictable comments.

This will happen. Elon Musk will see to it.

I found the response to his October press conference fascinating. All over the planet, newspapers and web sites reported that Musk had said that before he died he'd send 80k people to a Mars colony at 500,000.00 each.

A couple of days later he corrected them: 80k PER YEAR.

There wasn't a lot of response to that. I suspect most think poor Elon has passed his prime at 41.

I've often wondered if we'd recognize a da Vinci, or a Tesla, or a Newton if they walked amongst us. Well, there he is, my friends. Elon Musk may well be greater than them all. I do not doubt anything the man says as he's made good on every promise so far, from a 300 mile range electric car to building an entire LEO launch system for cargo at 1/20 the cost per pound of the space shuttle that performed flawlessly on first use.

A couple of weeks before Christmas he successfully took a Falcon 9, quite a large rocket, and landed it back on the pad. This was by far and away the largest rocket to ever achieve this.

The man is pure genious and waits on no one. He'll generate more wealth and innovation than any other single person in history, IMHO. I continually talk to my son about this man and tell him to either work for him or at least buy stock when it's available. "Big" doesn't begin to describe the growth potential. Many may consider him another addle brained idiot, but Peter Diamondis says "The world's first trillionaire will be made in space..." Commenting on Musk's SpaceX, he said:

"Diamandis sees a promising price improvement curve as what used to take one billion dollars and twenty thousand people to get a space shuttle into orbit can now happen with "a team of twenty people funded by a single individual." In the evolution of space travel, he says "the military industrial complex of Boeing, Lockheed and NASA are the dinosaurs" and today's entrepreneurs are "the furry mammals."

This planet is functionally ruined already. Only a couple of hundred miles away lies a place with truly infinite supplies of energy, resources, and room to grow.

Over my lifetime I watched as the great innovative, entreprenuerial, pioneering spirit died...as reflected in a number of posts here and in like threads in the past. I'd pretty much lost hope that I'd live to see progress towards humankind's manifest destiny, then along came Elon. Thankfully, he's not the only one. Planetary Resources, Blue Origins, Virgin Galactic, and others have recognized where the future is and just in the past 5 years more progress made towards the birth of a space faring civilization than ever before...and it's just the bare beginning.

And, thank God, it isn't subject to the winds of Congress.

Dave