I'm a little bit pregnant.....

oldmako

...and hope to take delivery this afternoon of a.......drum roll please.............Fisher 500B. This is my first foray into tube gear, needless to say I'm anxious to hear it. I found it on Craigslist. It's got a walnut case and original manual. The AD mentions that it still works fine. I have had deals fall through at the last minute before, so I won't hold my breath.

From all that I have read, old tube stuff needs significant attention to optimize its sound and to prevent it from setting the domo ablaze. But if he's still using it, what's the harm in my hooking it up? I have no idea when it was last inspected or serviced, but from the looks of the (poor quality) picture, its not pristine.

Here's a nice bonus.....Thirty bucks!

I'll try and find out when it was last serviced and any other history. It's tubes listed are (7)12AX7, (4)6AU6, 6AQ8, (2)12AT7, (4)7591.

I'll try and post a pic when (if) I get it home.

Smoking deal, even if you have to dump a few hundred bucks into it to get her made right. I know how you feel about deals falling through the last minute, this happened to me last summer on a pair of Khorns. Congrats you will have to know your thoughts on the sound, is this a intergrated or a pre amp, if its a preamp what will you be pairing it with.

The 500B is a nice receiver which is capable of very good audio quality. Don't be fooled by the fact that the guy is still using it- equipment this age usually needs some degree of restoration. At the very least, don't leave it unattended when it's in use! That way, if something does go wrong, you'll be there to immediately shut it down.

Maynard

But if he's still using it, what's the harm in my hooking it up?

To answer the above question. No harm at all go for it. The immediate harm is already done.

But I would advise you temper your expectations after nearly 50 years of aging this receiver does not perform anything like intended and is not really reliable for long term use. I would definitely give a listen with an appropriate attitude tempered by the above statement and listen for basic tonal like or dislike. Once properly rebuilt the tonal balance will not change much if the proper components of near original types are used to bring it up to spec. What will improve is the over all tightness of the presentation, 3D sound stage and precision of the reproduction after properly rebuilt. Much of the improvements I mention would also be the case with the wrong parts but the tonal qualities of the piece will be diminished by a large margin. Parts types do matter.

If you like the basic tonal performance then spend the money to have it professionally rebuilt. If you don;t put it on eBay and flip it for about $600 since that is what its worth in original none rebuilt condition. The receiver properly rebuilt by a reputable professional is easily worth a $1000.

For $30 you committed robbery! Good job deals like that do not come around often these days.

Craig

I am sure Craig will chime in, and my experience with tube amps is very limited, so take this with a grain, I have been through a lot of S.S. gear some that supposedly have "tube like" sound, others were just considered very solid performers. Tubes present music very differently to my ears, with my horn speakers, it is definetly a deeper, more pleasant sound stage, with my speakers, as if the music is around you, and is in layers. S.S. seems to present the music on a more direct uniform plane, with my tube amps, it is like the speakers are breathing on you... The detail in certain recordings seems holographic and over your shoulders and with some instruments, it is like you can pick them out of the air, instead of them hitting you in the face. I am sure some S.S. amps can do this, and it may be a form of coloration, but it is wonderful....

Jun I have heard lots of tube amps. Through lots of speakers. The "3D soundstage" is not how I would characterize them as being different. Coloration for sure, and speakers exhibit this too.

The characteristics of the soundstage, imaging, and so on will vary with amplifier characteristics and with speakers. Much depends on the crosstalk (i.e. blending) between the channels (the 500B, while decent, isn't outstanding in that respect) which is why a pair of mono amps usually outshines a stereo amp with both channels sharing a common power supply. Other factors, such as the use of negative feedback, or no feedback at all as is typical of SETs will also affect the soundstage and imaging. That said, so can speaker placement and your listening position in relation to the speakers. But, I do agree with Craig (yes, we occasionally agree on some things!) that you need to listen to the basic tonality of the amp and, if it's pleasing, spend the money to have it properly restored to ensure safe and reliable operation. Afterwards, it may not sound better to your ears, but you will at least have a piece of equipment which is safe to use.

Jun I have heard lots of tube amps. Through lots of speakers. The "3D soundstage" is not how I would characterize them as being different. Coloration for sure, and speakers exhibit this too.

O.T. just curious, we all have different ears, speakers, listening spaces, tastes in music, and even different cuts of the same albums etc... I always read, that many amps sound the same, I haven't experienced this. I havent heard the systems that you have, how would you characterize tube amps as being different? Of course only ones that have coloration? The reason I say this, I am sure someone could make a tube amp sound like s.s. Thanks...

Carver can make an ss amp sound close to a tube amp. He could probably do the reverse. I would characterize tube amps in general as sounding warmer in coloration. They all have coloration so I'm not sure what you mean by only the ones? Every system has coloration no matter what the source, speakers etc. Go or perform at enough live concerts and you know what I mean. Listen live to a guitarist using a tube amp on stage. Now listen to a recording of the guitarist using a tube amp through a tube amp in your system. Now you have double the tube amp sound. No big deal if you like it, but 3D soundstage as a result of the amp? That's my question. If you hear "air" as so often described what is it really? Do you hear "air" at a concert? Do you hear the vocals hovering five feet above your head and bass over to the left 2 feet lower and guitar and drums somewhere else at a concert or even in the studio? If you haven't experienced it then you don't know. My experience in the real world is that a reproductive soundstage becomes less and less reflective of reality the more it becomes what many describe as "3D." I'm just asking craigs opinion really about the role of amps and speakers in his opinion of what is more important in creating the artificial soundstage.

I love my Fisher 500B. The tuning eye tube is really cool on the fm tuning indicator.

Great deal, too. if it's all original, it will need some TLC and fresh parts to be up to par.

It is very interesting to me that all the vintage giants have their own signature sound: Scott, Eico, Fisher etc.

But if he's still using it, what's the harm in my hooking it up?

...To answer the above question. No harm at all go for it. The immediate harm is already done....

Craig, can you be more specific in regarding the quote above? Am I harming the unit by using it?

Gents, I received the unit yesterday. He said that he had been getting bombarded with responses to his ad. Lucky me, eh?

Here's what I have found so far;

1. It's filthy. My guess is that it was in a kitchen since there is crud around the knobs.

2. It was last used one year ago and has been in the closet ever since. Turns out the Misses wanted to listen to Rush Limbaugh on AM, so she talked the old guy into buying her something more modern! THANKS RUSH! I never liked the guy till yesterday.

3. He bought it new. He maintained that it's never been serviced, but it has had tubes replaced. I suppose that means he did it himself and the unit was never gone over by a tech. However, the guy was probably in his late 70s so there may have been episodes which he doesn't remember.

4. There is a fairly significant amount of noise present when using the VOL pot. The R channel is noisy but settles down once you let go. The L channel is worse, but every now and then it settles down and the unit is QUIET. I was listening to some classical on the tuner this morning and I was very pleased. I have tried 5 different receivers in my room and only two (this one and my old Sansui G-5700) pick up the station without a bunch of accompanying noise.

5. There is also a bit of noise present unless the tuning knob is "just so". Ditto the FM MPX detent on the input selector. All other switches and pots are silent.

6. Hooked up to a pair of Heresey I's and it sounds great.

I think that a can of Detox [:D] will go a long way to quieting the Volume pot, and I may try that at some point. Can anyone tell me how the case is attached? Is it through the screws in the feet? I'm not going to go nuts, but I would like to try and clean it up a bit. I am fairly certain that I'm going to keep it and have it restored.

Thanks for the kind words and advice.