Trentster5172

Hello,

I'm new to post, but I have been reading here for some
time. I have been looking for a lot of information on the SW-115's and
have found really nothing to compare them to. I thought about doing
the internet sub thing, but decided to stay with Klipsch. I have
decided to upgrade my theater downstairs. I will be trading out a pair
of SW-112's for a pair of SW-115's. I will also be upgrading to an
RC-64 II from an RC-62 II. I hope to be able to provide some good comparison information on the upgrades by maybe this weekend if they come in. I will be mating the RC-64 II with a pair of RF-82 II's; however, I will likely upgrade to RF-7 II's next year. My theater room is more of a rectangular shaped great room measuring 18 feet wide by 46 feet long. I'm looking for a little extra kick on the sub side of things and more clear dialog. I use my Oppo BDP-83SE to process everything I play out of it since I have an old legacy style receiver which still is a great sounding amp for it's age. I plan to upgrade it too, but probably not until after I get the RF-7 II's. I can't use the YPAO to tune the blu-ray so I just measure to the speakers and use a decent sound meter. I set all of the speakers to small. I do use the YPAO for everything else and usually just check my manual setttings in the Oppo against the YPAO. I only have one sub pre-out on this receiver, so I just use a Y-adapter to both subs. I then use Y-adapters again at both subs and plug into both RCA's so hopefully I'm not loosing much of the signal (any constructive comments greatly appreciated). When we watch movies I use the RF-82 II's and the RB-51 II's for left and right. I then have four RS-42 II's along the walls with two ending up behind the sweet spot. I'll try to post a couple of pics.photo.php?fbid=10200296396406584&set=pcbphoto.php?fbid=10200296375966073&set=pcbphoto.php?fbid=10200296375966073&set=pcb

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Trentster. Looks like you have a great setup to start with and will have an even better setup with the new upgrades. Even though the RC-62 is a great speaker, I believe you will find the RC-64 to be a considerable improvement. Likewise with the RF-7ii over the RF-82ii.

Pics aren't super easy to figure out with this forum. When you hit Reply, click the Options Tab and you will be able to browse and attach one image per post. You can insert multiple images (up to 10) in one post if you host your images yourself (ie photobucket, flickr etc). You can hit Reply and click on the Insert/Edit icon (looks like a chain link) and paste the URL to your image. Do this for each image in your post but make sure you resize the images to around 700 pixels wide or the images will get cut off.

Superbowl ReadyMy Theater

Thanks! I was trying to figure it out. I posted these in the gallery and then grabbed the URL's. The full room picture is just before people started to show up for the superbowl a year ago (2012), so the room is a little busy! You can also still see my old Polk speakers mounted above the RF-82 II's before I got the RB-51 II's to replace them. The other picture I just took a few days ago so that I can do a photo comparison after the upgrade.

• Moderators

Wow, what a great looking room!

I agree. Very clean look indeed. One suggestion is to angle (toe in) your mains slightly towards your main listening position. You will get much better imaging that way.

(Youthman may have some photography competition) Yes

With all do respect, I enjoy my iPhone 4s as well but I don't think his iPhone 4s can come close the quality pics my Nikon D90 takes. [:P] If you view the original images you will see the difference.

Welcome Trent. I upgraded from a 62 to a 64 and was amazed in the difference. The 62 in its own right was excellent the the clear dialog from my old 64 was astonishing. Was hard for me to part with it. The room looks great and if you were to ever move your new 115 subs towards the corners where that furniture is you may get more bass response but in turn it may be too boomy for that room. The room looks great though congrats on the new speaks.

Welcome Trent. I upgraded from a 62 to a 64 and was amazed in the difference. The 62 in its own right was excellent the the clear dialog from my old 64 was astonishing. Was hard for me to part with it. The room looks great and if you were to ever move your new 115 subs towards the corners where that furniture is you may get more bass response but in turn it may be too boomy for that room. The room looks great though congrats on the new speaks.

Welcome to the forums! That is a massive room you have there! I wish I had 18x46 to play with... I think you might want more than just those two subs at some point in a room that big. I think you'll notice a huge difference upgrading to the RC-64 center as well and once you upgrade to RF-7s you'll be enjoying movies at home that sound better than your local theaters more than likely.

Welcome Trent...

Wow, what a great looking room! I like your plan to get the RC64II now to play with the RF82's. Makes sense if you plan on getting the RF7II's later.

(Youthman may have some photography competition) Yes

Klipsch newb here. Question on this quote. Is the RC64II not a good fit with the 82's?? Everything I read says the 64 is best with the RF7II's. Is it that much of an issue if he were to not decide to upgrade to the 7's?

It may be a bit overpowering but if you can control the levels and integrate the speaker by increasing or decreasing the volume of the center..... it should rock.....What kind of gear/amp is he using it with???.....Usually if you are using a newer.... quality processor or AVR you can run an integration program with a mic that will attenuate/integrate all the speakers to work with each other. But even after running these programs I usually mess with the levels to get it exactly where I like it..........Welcome to the forum!!!....[Y]

Welcome Trent

As been stated earlier, I think you will be very impressed with the rc64ii,it has a lot of impact for a center speaker.Adjusting your settings should make it blend nicely with what you already have.I run a rc64ii with rf83's and it blends very ,very well.

Have fun with your setup

Mark

I received the SW-115's and they are installed. Unfortuantely the RC-64 II is on backorder so it may be a while. My first impressions of the SW-115's is they weren't much more than the SW-112's right out of the box. They are much bigger and heavier, but weren't twice as much bass or anything. I started playing with things and they are very different than the SW-112's in sound. I watched several movie clips and listened to some music. In the new TRON movie the recognizers flying around just shake the house. The crashes in the light cycle scene are pretty awesome too. I watched the beginning of Avatar where the ship enters the autmosphere and lands. It shakes the ground like you were there. I listened to some Dire Straits, Tom Petty, U2, and watched a bit of the Eagles Concert in DTS. The deeper notes are defineately there as the range is extended from the SW-112's and much easier to hear. After playing for a while I would rate the volume at maybe 1.2 times louder than the already capable SW-112's, but when the hertz start to drop you can still hear the SW-115's where the SW-112's fell off and became silent. I was also suprised how musical these are for a 15" sub. I was expecting them to not be that impressive, but they sound pretty good. I played some Trey Songz, Wiz Khalifa, Notorious BIG and some Dre too. Yep- they get down there. I prefer listening to my Forte's by themselves in full range, but a block party with these things in the garage on top of the Fortes cut at 80hz would be fun!