Inviting the unknown stranger

Taz

This is such a friendly forum. :)

Yes

It certainly is!!!! I am an Altec guy, and all of these gentlemen still answer my questions and tolerate me, tolerance is a great thing, we need more of it on this small planet of our's. I have met 2 forum members and they were awesome!!!!

When I first joined this forum I thought for sure that my newbie questions would annoy some people. They didn't. Everyone has been very helpful with questions and the like. I've now met two forum members and enjoyed some quality listening time with each. Although the first gent I met (BE36) turned down my offering of beer when I arrived (cause he didn't drink) he still welcomed me and my buddy into his home for a few hours to listen to and watch some stuff on his sweet AT screen. A year or so later when I built my own AT screen, who do you think I PM'ed for suggestions. Great people here. I know I myself can be a bit ornery at times but I love receiving PM's asking for assistance. If I can help, I will. That should be the mantra here, lol. "If I can help, I will"

I've entrusted fellow Forum brothers to pickup prepaid speakers for me and hold them in their home, done the same for others, and had numerous visits as both host and guest- sometimes overnight. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a lot of the joy of collecting Klipsch speakers has been the travel, the sharing of knowledge with like-minded crazy persons, and the fellowship.

You mean have people come to your house... to listen to audio or a HT setup? Your kidding right? I mean these people are strangers, who knows what ideas or things they might bring over to demo. You may find some of them travel from long distances and wish to spend the night too? Oh my, then what will you do? You might get robbed, or they might break something too? And what if they critisize what you have put together for years too? Will that break your heart or ego? This is the internet right? Where were taught to be over cautious and expect the worst!!!

OR

You may find someone just as nutty as you are, (Sorry it is true) and have a bond instantly... But not because your showing off what you have, YOUR SHARING IT.... and bringing joy to others too! Trust me, they will "get it" as soon as the audio comes on and they feel it... It's like audio heaven!

• 3 months later...

You mean have people come to your house... to listen to audio or a HT setup? Your kidding right? I mean these people are strangers, who knows what ideas or things they might bring over to demo. You may find some of them travel from long distances and wish to spend the night too? Oh my, then what will you do? You might get robbed, or they might break something too? And what if they critisize what you have put together for years too? Will that break your heart or ego? This is the internet right? Where were taught to be over cautious and expect the worst!!!

Or worse yet, what if they want to listen to country music??? [:|]

been around for over 5 years.....and like most..have a few garage sale items for sale.....what is most surprising are the folks who join the forum just to contact a garage sale item seller. Why...becuase the items come up on www.google.com pretty easy. So now you have a guy with one post reach out to you to do a meet and great for an item worth a few hundred or thousand dollars. SO don't assume everyone who contacts you over a garage sale item is really part of the klipsch active community.

VERY good point Speakerfritz. There are more then the usuall amount internet buzzards that are not real members of the community here. Whos only intent is to swoop in for a buck. [6]

Ill get off the soap box now,,, but thanks for mentioning it Speakerfritz.

Cornman

VERY good point Speakerfritz. There are more then the usuall amount internet buzzards that are not real members of the community here. Whos only intent is to swoop in for a buck. Devil

Ill get off the soap box now,,, but thanks for mentioning it Speakerfritz.

Cornman

Also a good point.

There are also forum members with fairly decent post counts that ONLY flip gear here on the forum. Would you consider them REAL members if that's their only purpose here?

I have met some wonderful folks on this forum. I have had many over to my house and have been to other members homes. All excellent and fun experiences. Actually we should do it again sometime soon.

On the other hand, I have had some very questionable equipment buying experiences here - even from members who have significant post counts etc. Mostly poorly represented condition issues but even have purchased equipment that flat out didnt work!

I have been surprised when that happens and quite disapointed. I have resisted posting complaints and issues because I dont think that is terribly productive. I mean someone that sells an item that flat out doesnt work is certainly going to continue the bs in a back and forth internet pissing match.

I do not have a good solution to this but I given my experiences I have to think it happens more than we would like to think.

Josh

this is an interesting observation.

i've met some of the best people i know on this forum.

used to love getting a reaction from my daughters when i told them i'd invited someone i'd met on the internet. or that i was going to meet someone i'd met on the internet.

edit: another unusual sort of hospitality: audition a local piece of gear, pay cash for it with someone else's money, then pack and ship it to a forum member on the other side of the country all because the seller had local pick up only.. no shipping.

An even better scenario is a forum member paying via paypal and using me to pick up the device locally. It usually means I get to meet someone else with cool audio gear, I don't have to touch the cash, and I get to explain the impressive trust that exists in our little community. Bonus points when the buyer asks me to hold onto the item and use it until he can make the trek upstate to get it. I've been able to really learn about that value and quality of ATI gear through this very scenario, and will be sad when the amp leaves in a couple weeks. :(

I have met some wonderful folks on this forum. I have had many over to my house and have been to other members homes. All excellent and fun experiences. Actually we should do it again sometime soon.

On the other hand, I have had some very questionable equipment buying experiences here - even from members who have significant post counts etc. Mostly poorly represented condition issues but even have purchased equipment that flat out didnt work!

I have been surprised when that happens and quite disapointed. I have resisted posting complaints and issues because I dont think that is terribly productive. I mean someone that sells an item that flat out doesnt work is certainly going to continue the bs in a back and forth internet pissing match.

I do not have a good solution to this but I given my experiences I have to think it happens more than we would like to think.

Josh

I have to agree. It has happened to me as well where not all was as promised. I can also say from experience that there is some percentage of equipment failures that are the result of it being slammed around in shipping. The shipper can slam a box hard enough to jar some weak solder joints loose and not do any apparent damage to the box itself.

All that said, I'm happy to add that I've mostly gotten along really well with folks in the Garage sale. It probably helps when I agree to pay their asking price and send them a Paypal 2 minutes later.

It probably helps when I agree to pay their asking price and send them a Paypal 2 minutes later.

I
sent my only Pay Pal once, as a down payment for some KHorns. As I
was traveling south the Gentleman called and asked my spouse if I was
really driving from Oregon to his place 100 miles south of Sacremento
Calf. When I arrived I payed the balance in cash. Was not a bit
nervous, Met a very nice Gentleman and his Wife.

Second experince
in buying from someone on this site was with another Gentleman (Carl)
whom I had previous email contact, and had developed a sense of trust.
Thus I sent him checks until I had purchase payed off. Then he arranged
shipping for me, and I got the balance of the equipment from Texas,
here in Oregon. He shipped the preamp and power amps prior to my
finishing paying for all equip, AND he shiped them on his dime. .......
Taz

Josh

I have to agree. It has happened to me as well where not all was as promised. I can also say from experience that there is some percentage of equipment failures that are the result of it being slammed around in shipping. The shipper can slam a box hard enough to jar some weak solder joints loose and not do any apparent damage to the box itself.

All that said, I'm happy to add that I've mostly gotten along really well with folks in the Garage sale. It probably helps when I agree to pay their asking price and send them a Paypal 2 minutes later.

0 0 0 0 0;
mso-font-charset:128;
mso-generic-font-family:roman;
mso-font-format:other;
mso-font-pitch:fixed;
mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;}
@font-face
{font-family:"MS ??";
panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
mso-font-charset:128;
mso-font-pitch:fixed;
mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;}
@font-face
{font-family:Cambria;
panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman";
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-font-pitch:auto;
mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-unhide:no;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Cambria","serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"MS ??";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
mso-default-props:yes;
font-family:"Cambria","serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"MS ??";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
-->

I have had issues with poorly
packed products. I am referring here to downright misrepresentation.
Blown power supply, bent front plate (hidden in photo), things like that.
Things that you would expect be disclosed. I mean a blown power supply so that
the unit didn't work! I am always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I
have had sold things that there were problems with shipping etc – and I try to
make it right. I will always take something back if someone is not satisfied. I
have found that isn’t the case all the time!

Again, I have had good experiences as
well but the percentage of bad ones is way higher than I would have expected.

I have found that if you want to know who a person is, read their posts in REVERSE order.

Oldest first, work your way up to today.

Some of the "one post wonders" are just good guys at the start of the road.

Some were dogs when they started and are dogs today.

In fact, those guys don't deserve to be compared to dogs.

Who was it said, "jackals"?

There has been a lot of change in the last few years.

Not much for the better.

Josh

Sounds like we bought from the same member. I too have refrained from complaining publicly even though I'm torn because in doing so may prevent forum members from having future issues.

An even better scenario is a forum member paying via paypal and using me to pick up the device locally. It usually means I get to meet someone else with cool audio gear, I don't have to touch the cash, and I get to explain the impressive trust that exists in our little community. Bonus points when the buyer asks me to hold onto the item and use it until he can make the trek upstate to get it. I've been able to really learn about that value and quality of ATI gear through this very scenario, and will be sad when the amp leaves in a couple weeks. :(

[O] Tic Tock buddy [:P]

Second experince in buying from someone on this site was with another Gentleman (Carl) whom I had previous email contact, and had developed a sense of trust. Thus I sent him checks until I had purchase payed off. Then he arranged shipping for me, and I got the balance of the equipment from Texas, here in Oregon. He shipped the preamp and power amps prior to my finishing paying for all equip, AND he shiped them on his dime. ....... Taz

It was my pleasure John.

The first buying/selling experience I had on this forum was with Daddy Dee. I sold him a Crown amp that he was going to use at his church (I believe). I told him not to send payment till I had it boxed up ready to go. I had payment in about 10 minutes! His interaction with me is typical for the most part for long standing forum members. I 've had numerous exchanges with forum members since and they've all been stellar (but 1).

Time Tic Tock buddy Stick out tongue

uhh, errmm.. i contracted west nile. ya.. and morgan, morgan is showing symptoms of ebola. i think Addie has pink eye AND strep. Should probably postpone your visit for a few months. [6]