New HT Build

HAmmer32261

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Looking forward to watching the progress of your room hammer. To me, it was just as fun building the room as it was enjoying the final product. It's cool seeing it come together piece by piece. And when you have the ability to do the work yourself, you save a ton of money in the process.

Looks like a solid room. No windows. That should make for a cheap projector that will look killer. 12 foot wide though? You still gonna run 4 83's. I would think that would just be wide enough if you ran the l and r snug to the wall and toed in a bit. I forget the rule of thumb on distance apart compared to listening position. Either way looks like you will have a killer room soon! I can't wait to start mine. Been to too many home theater demos lately. My living room ain't cutting it anymore lol

@Coleman your welcome to come over anytime your in the area

@Youthman got alot of ideas from your build, thx for the help

@ Scrappydue yeah i wont be able to get all 4 on the back wall.

im going to set 1 pair of the 83's forward about 2 feet and let Audyssey do its

thing. although i'll be running 7.1 the extra 83's are going to be mainly for music

@Wuzzzer LOL yeah the floor will be padded and carpeted, I'll also be

adding some acoustic panels if need be

@duder1982 im on hold untill 04/02 that's the earliest the duct guy

can come out to put in the cold air return. after that ill be insulating then drywall

{more pics later}

That cove area on the back wall is interesting. It looks like you are just closing it in. Could that be an area you could fit a DIY sub in? Looks like a Danley DTS-10 or an F20 SUB might fit. The Danley can have the mouth coming out the side. Just a thought...

@ Mustang Guy in the beginning of this i was going to make a little closet in that area, the fireplace is directly above

that space.then i just decided to frame over it and hang the TV on that end

but that is a good idea you had, i was also thinking about trying to fit all my components

on a tall rack and put it in that space then run cables the whole distance of the basement

but i just went to the lazy route instead lol

That cove area on the back wall is interesting. It looks like you are just closing it in. Could that be an area you could fit a DIY sub in? Looks like a Danley DTS-10 or an F20 SUB might fit. The Danley can have the mouth coming out the side. Just a thought...

I really wouldn't want my sub behind me if I could help it.

I'll coattail on this post, Hammer your room will be amazing when it's done - having all that concrete on at least a couple of sides will allow some guilt free volume! Very nice!

The question I have is we are going to put an addition on this summer and I will be building a room in the basement as well. The dimensions will be 23' x 24' (minus wall build, etc.), so in the interest of complete overkill which is something some of us share when it comes to this topic, has anyone split their signal and run multiple side channels and rear channels with any success? For example, I currently have 5.1 and will hopefully immediately go to 7.2 while wiring for 9.2, I have two RS-62ii's and was thinking of adding an additional pair along the side wall and maybe doing a pair (or four (?)) of RB-81's along the back wall.

Any feedback on that? I know the system will fill the room as is no problem, but adding another amp and more surrounds might really deepen things further, or would it amount to overkill and not be that much bang for the buck.

Hammer, with apologies it is not my intent to hijack your post. [:)]

Finally started on the HT/Music room build and thought i'd post a few pics

of the progress so far with more to come later. the room is 12x25x7.6

IMG_0097_zpsec8e3ab0.jpgIMG_0096_zpsd10e1d7d.jpgIMG_1585_zpsb0955808.jpgIMG_1603_zps4c5f7fbf.jpgIMG_1610_zpsd1f8931c.jpgIMG_1614_zpsd597d8a7.jpgIMG_1608_zps27bd8119.jpg

I'm really anxious to see the finished product... Good Luck!

I'll coattail on this post, Hammer your room will be amazing when it's done - having all that concrete on at least a couple of sides will allow some guilt free volume! Very nice!

The question I have is we are going to put an addition on this summer and I will be building a room in the basement as well. The dimensions will be 23' x 24' (minus wall build, etc.), so in the interest of complete overkill which is something some of us share when it comes to this topic, has anyone split their signal and run multiple side channels and rear channels with any success? For example, I currently have 5.1 and will hopefully immediately go to 7.2 while wiring for 9.2, I have two RS-62ii's and was thinking of adding an additional pair along the side wall and maybe doing a pair (or four (?)) of RB-81's along the back wall.

Any feedback on that? I know the system will fill the room as is no problem, but adding another amp and more surrounds might really deepen things further, or would it amount to overkill and not be that much bang for the buck.

Hammer, with apologies it is not my intent to hijack your post. Smile

I don't think you will gain anything adding more surrounds. Spend the money on room treatments. The dimensions of your room will make things very challenging. Plan your seating positions well and place the surrounds accordingly. More will just confuse the intent of the sound mixers.