Jubilee Speakers For Sale - SOLD

greg928gts

rhetor, there must be some way to work a win-win situation here. ask her what SHE wants! The trip to Maine idea was definitely a good try. Smart cookie your wife is and a good sense of humor, too.

just this week i tried to get my wife to go to TX to buy a fire truck. As much as she wanted me to have it we just don't have a garage for it.

Dee, if your wife will let you have the Firetruck, can't you get the little accessory for it . . . A new closed in pole barn? [;)]. Billy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a room 12' x 15' x 10' high be large enough for them?

Yes. In fact, they would sound better than probably any other kind of loudspeaker in a small room.

Chris

The Jubilee is a bifurcated horn. I believe you need to be at least 12' feet for the bass to sum properly. Ideally, you would want them on the 15' wall, but then you won't be back far enough I don't think. If you put them on the 12' wall, you will be back far enough but the drivers will only be 6' a part. It will work, but the room will load up very quickly. It will sound good, but they won't do well if you push the volume. Speaking from experience here.

The Jubilee is a bifurcated horn. I believe you need to be at least 12' feet for the bass to sum properly.

Knowing how much you like folks to offer a competing idea, Dean... [:D]

I believe that the "bass bin bifurcation issue" is a function of frequency to which you listen to the bass bins (just like Khorn bass bins - which actually have a bit worse problem due to the geometries of the bass bin horn mouths). I also know that, once time aligned, many of the "close field listening" issues simply disappear. Ever listen to a time-aligned Khorn? I find that it's nice even up close, unlike Khorns using passive crossovers and no time alignment.

Regardless of esoteric issues (like the one above), the fact remains that you will be in the near field of the speaker at some point--usually ~120 Hz and below, and this will affect perception of bass frequencies regardless of the way that they're reproduced.

The issue that I've found that's perceptable to my ears is the undersize midrange horn mouth vertical axis length for all Heritage speakers, i.e., the "collapsing polars" of these midrange horns. Fortunately some simple room acoustic treatments can help a great deal with this problem.

The K-402 horn on the Jubilee doesn't have this issue.

Chris

rhetor, there must be some way to work a win-win situation here. ask her what SHE wants! The trip to Maine idea was definitely a good try. Smart cookie your wife is and a good sense of humor, too.

just this week i tried to get my wife to go to TX to buy a fire truck. As much as she wanted me to have it we just don't have a garage for it.

Wrap it in a large roof tarp : )

The Jubilee is a bifurcated horn. I believe you need to be at least 12' feet for the bass to sum properly.

Knowing how much you like folks to offer a competing idea, Dean... Big Smile

I believe that the "bass bin bifurcation issue" is a function of frequency to which you listen to the bass bins (just like Khorn bass bins - which actually have a bit worse problem due to the geometries of the bass bin horn mouths). I also know that, once time aligned, many of the "close field listening" issues simply disappear. Ever listen to a time-aligned Khorn? I find that it's nice even up close, unlike Khorns using passive crossovers and no time alignment.

Regardless of esoteric issues (like the one above), the fact remains that you will be in the near field of the speaker at some point--usually ~120 Hz and below, and this will affect perception of bass frequencies regardless of the way that they're reproduced.

The issue that I've found that's perceptable to my ears is the undersize midrange horn mouth vertical axis length for all Heritage speakers, i.e., the "collapsing polars" of these midrange horns. Fortunately some simple room acoustic treatments can help a great deal with this problem.

Chris

I think I have to agree with Chris on this one. While my forgetter often works better than my rememberer, I seem to recall Roy saying that the Jubilee sounds all come together within 3 or 4 feet of the speaker.

Knowing how much you like folks to offer a competing idea, Dean... Big Smile

Chris

I think I have to agree with Chris on this one. While my forgetter often works better than my rememberer, I seem to recall Roy saying that the Jubilee sounds all come together within 3 or 4 feet of the speaker.

From memory I believe, Roy has said it's 8 feet minimum distance that you need to be away from the Jubilee. As far as the bifurcated horn mouth is concerned a combing will be noticed off axis above 500hz due to wavelength and the width of the front panel between the horn mouths. That's all from memory so I welcome comments from others.

From memory I believe, Roy has said it's 8 feet minimum distance that you need to be away from the Jubilee.

IIRC, this distance is affected mostly by the vertical separation of the K-402 and the bass bin mouths. I've found that I can listen within this distance without change in timbre, although it is very nice to pull back to 10-11 feet slant distance from each speaker, which is where my two prime listening chairs are located, and where the imaging performance is, IMHO, spectacular. At the back of my listening room--35 to 40 feet away--they sound even better in terms of FR and low bass, but L-R stereo imaging is much less apparent.

By the way, the horizontal and vertical polar response of the Jub bass bin and the K-402 horn match in the 400-450 Hz band, which also helps speaker integration at close listening distances, even off-axis.

Chris

Thanks for correcting me with the right info.

I can't believe these are still for sale at that price -- it's like getting the top sections for free.

@Tom, it was my fault. Someone with a small room who has interest asked if they would work. Now we know they will, and I think that's relevant information. Ultimately, it helps the sale.

Dean, we have both tried Jubilees in smaller rooms. Your experience is an important data point and we both agree that larger rooms are generally better. However, for the potential buyer out there, I would hate to see them pass on a deal to get Jubilees just because their room was not "ideal". IMO, Jubilees in a less-than-perfect room will still out perform most systems.

I asked the wife if she wanted to take a little trip from the Deep South to Maine to New England. "Why?" She asked. I answered, "Well, because I love you so much and I just want to spend quality time with you and see flowers in spring." She raised an eyebrow and responded, "Right. Where are the speakers, what do they look like, and how much do they cost?" My flustered response? "What speakers, Honey? I don't know what you are talking about." She contemptuously retorted, " You are either terminally ill or there are Klipsch speakers involved. And you just got a clean bill of health on your last physical." After some severe negotiations, we are staying home. Sad "And no shipping allowed," she ended all of my purchasing aspirations on these awesome Jubilees. Husbands, do not try this . . . it will fail and lead to tense discussions in which you will have to engage your most prolific Aristotelian rhetoric to save what Klipsch speakers you have in your collection. I am keeping all of my current collection after a full day of heavy persuasion, now relegated to watching this thread while drooling. What a great buy this will be for the new owner! Yes. Husbands, be careful out there! Zip it!

I like the arrangement SWMBO and I have. She has her own job and own bank account. I have my job and my own account. We each buy what we want, and buy some things together. I don't tell her NO, and she does not tell me NO. She does however give her opinions! As do I. [Y].......................Taz

From memory I believe, Roy has said it's 8 feet minimum distance that you need to be away from the Jubilee.

IIRC, this distance is affected mostly by the vertical separation of the K-402 and the bass bin mouths. I've found that I can listen within this distance without change in timbre, although it is very nice to pull back to 10-11 feet slant distance from each speaker, which is where my two prime listening chairs are located, and where the imaging performance is, IMHO, spectacular. At the back of my listening room--35 to 40 feet away--they sound even better in terms of FR and low bass, but L-R stereo imaging is much less apparent.

By the way, the horizontal and vertical polar response of the Jub bass bin and the K-402 horn match in the 400-450 Hz band, which also helps speaker integration at close listening distances, even off-axis.

Chris

Thanks for pointing those aspects out Chris as it matches with my listening experience with the three way cinema version.

Just to add to the small room experience with these is that they don't need to be turned up loud to get going. At whisper quite levels it's the same from the speakers and better from the room. So when everyone else is asleep you can still listen to them all night long. I can hardly wait to unpack my pair and get them into action. :)

Somebody please buy these speakers and save me from myself .

You do know that the Jubs will fit very nice where those Belles are located in the corners. The leftover Belles would work nicely in a two-channel room.

Chris