New B&K amp 200.7 s2 (TASDOM is the MAN) is on its way

Heritage_Head

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a B&K 200.2 and 200.5 on my RF-7II's and love them. I think you'll be very happy. I also had a XPA-2 and XPA-5 combo briefly that I never cared for. The XPA-2 was ok, but I could always faintly hear a hiss in the speakers. The XPA-5 had a horrible hum from day one. I spent days on the phone with Emotiva, they had me trying the most ridiculous things to fix it. They even exchanged them and I had the same problem. Then one of their lead engineers said it was a compatibility issue with the Amps and my then Integra processor. Like the others said, the B&K has a nice warm sound that goes very well with the Klipsch. I'll be interested to hear your review.

What would you say the biggest difference is with the emo and b&k as far as how they sound?

Wow! You guys are really giving it to him about the shipping lol I hate waiting on new stuff to arrive. It always seems like an eternity.

The biggest difference for me... First of all, no hum or hiss. The B&K are dead quite in quiet passages. I know a lot of people here use the Emotiva amps, but they're just not a good match for high efficiency speakers. Even the techs at Emotiva will tell you that. Usually when I buy a new component I do a lot of A/B comparison to make sure what I'm really gaining (or losing). I have a Niles amplifier selector that lets me switch between amps seamlessly. I level match both with a SPL meter. The box only has one button. Pressed its one amp, depressed its the other. There's zero delay in switching. There have been many amps that I can't even tell when they're switched. I'd ask my girlfriend "did you push it? Really? Do it again" That wasn't the case with the B&K. I didn't even need to A/B the difference was immediate.

I didn't go directly from the Emotiva to the B&K. I only had the Emotiva's briefly. The Emotiva's were supposed to replace a Nakamichi PA-7 and PA-1. I ended up returning the Emotiva's and put the Nakamichis back in their place. The Nakamichis bested the Emotiva and the B&K bested the Nakamichis. I also tried parasound and some others. The biggest difference to me was in the high frequency. The big tweeters on the RF-7's can be very nice and rewarding on a good recording. However, most of what I listen to on TV, CD's, and Radio is poor quality. When listening to that stuff the detail of the RF-7's can be punishing. Listener fatigue always set in for me. With the B&K that went away. The detail was still there but everything was smoother. Rough recordings became more enjoyable. It has a lot of the tube like characteristics without the headaches of tube equipment.

I use a B&K 200.2 and 200.5 on my RF-7II's and love them. I think you'll be very happy. I also had a XPA-2 and XPA-5 combo briefly that I never cared for. The XPA-2 was ok, but I could always faintly hear a hiss in the speakers. The XPA-5 had a horrible hum from day one. I spent days on the phone with Emotiva, they had me trying the most ridiculous things to fix it. They even exchanged them and I had the same problem. Then one of their lead engineers said it was a compatibility issue with the Amps and my then Integra processor. Like the others said, the B&K has a nice warm sound that goes very well with the Klipsch. I'll be interested to hear your review.

What would you say the biggest difference is with the emo and b&k as far as how they sound?

Wow! You guys are really giving it to him about the shipping lol I hate waiting on new stuff to arrive. It always seems like an eternity.

The biggest difference for me... First of all, no hum or hiss. The B&K are dead quite in quiet passages. I know a lot of people here use the Emotiva amps, but they're just not a good match for high efficiency speakers. Even the techs at Emotiva will tell you that. Usually when I buy a new component I do a lot of A/B comparison to make sure what I'm really gaining (or losing). I have a Niles amplifier selector that lets me switch between amps seamlessly. I level match both with a SPL meter. The box only has one button. Pressed its one amp, depressed its the other. There's zero delay in switching. There have been many amps that I can't even tell when they're switched. I'd ask my girlfriend "did you push it? Really? Do it again" That wasn't the case with the B&K. I didn't even need to A/B the difference was immediate.

I didn't go directly from the Emotiva to the B&K. I only had the Emotiva's briefly. The Emotiva's were supposed to replace a Nakamichi PA-7 and PA-1. I ended up returning the Emotiva's and put the Nakamichis back in their place. The Nakamichis bested the Emotiva and the B&K bested the Nakamichis. I also tried parasound and some others. The biggest difference to me was in the high frequency. The big tweeters on the RF-7's can be very nice and rewarding on a good recording. However, most of what I listen to on TV, CD's, and Radio is poor quality. When listening to that stuff the detail of the RF-7's can be punishing. Listener fatigue always set in for me. With the B&K that went away. The detail was still there but everything was smoother. Rough recordings became more enjoyable. It has a lot of the tube like characteristics without the headaches of tube equipment.

Wow im sold lol. Emo told me the same thing when i called them about the static and hiss i was getting. They said these amps are not a good match for your speakers. 25 years ago i ran an old 40watt kenwood integrated amp with speakerlab 4s (was passed down to me). It sounded at the time really good but i was only 15 so anything sounded good compared to the boom box i had. I ran that amp for years and years and put so many hours on that amp i can still hear the sound it had. I hooked that amp up to so many speakers over the years (infinity,bose 901s,jbl,polk audio and speakerlabs). none of those speakers compare to the 7s but that little amp sounded so warm and clean that my hope is that the b&k has that sound with the power of the emo (200x7).

sounded so warm and clean that my hope is that the b&k has that sound with the power of the emo (200x7).

B&K Reference 200.7 S2 = "warmish" signature + 1500va transformer + 5 pairs mosfet output transitors per channel + 162,000 microfarads capacitance = HEADROOM

[:D]

Bill

sounded so warm and clean that my hope is that the b&k has that sound with the power of the emo (200x7).

B&K Reference 200.7 S2 = "warmish" signature + 1500va transformer + 5 pairs mosfet output transitors per channel + 162,000 microfarads capacitance = HEADROOM

Big Smile

Bill

Bill i have ho idea what you just said but it sounded good. [:D]

• Moderators

Bill i have ho idea what you just said but it sounded good. Big Smile

Heck, Bill doesn't even know what he's saying. [:P] Actually, Bill is very knowlegable in how they are constructed and understands that lingo. My brain thinks in simple terms. I think what Bill means is "That amp has more muscle than "the Rock". [:D]

• Moderators

B&K Reference 200.7 S2 = version 2 or Mk II.

I was just kidding. I know S2 typically means a second version (B&W does this with their speakers). I was making jest of my High School days when using letters in formulas...ex. E=MC squared (couldn't figure out how to make the superscript 2).

B&K Reference 200.7 S2 = version 2 or Mk II.

I was just kidding. I know S2 typically means a second version (B&W does this with their speakers). I was making jest of my High School days when using letters in formulas...ex. E=MC squared (couldn't figure out how to make the superscript 2).

E=MC^2 is how I usually do it...

Late to this thread, but congrats to reference_head, and that was super cool of Tasdom for the hookup. I went ahead and did a little research of the b&k 200.7 on internets and have come across very favorable reviews of it, so looks like you are in for a real treat RH when you get to finally hook it up. This is a little off topic but I was wondering, during my search of reviews, is B&K still in business? And read some people saying that they were not, others saying that they were restructuring things internally, anyone have an idea?

Late to this thread, but congrats to reference_head, and that was super cool of Tasdom for the hookup. I went ahead and did a little research of the b&k 200.7 on internets and have come across very favorable reviews of it, so looks like you are in for a real treat RH when you get to finally hook it up. This is a little off topic but I was wondering, during my search of reviews, is B&K still in business? And read some people saying that they were not, others saying that they were restructuring things internally, anyone have an idea?

Thanks viper will be fun to do a side by side with my emo. I think they got bought out and not sure if they will be back.