Crossover Roadshow

Deang

These were shipped to you by Nick who is using big horns and drivers, he probably left the jumpers where they worked best for him, which would NOT be anywhere near the best place for you! I would start with either 5 (pos) and 2 (neg) or 4 (pos) and X (neg).

Rusty, please email or call me if you need any help or just have questions.

- / + dB

------- ----

X – 1 -22.7

1 – 2 -19.7

2 – 3 -16.7

0 – X -15.0

3 – 4 -13.7

0 – 1 -12.0 (probable starting point for drivers with 2" exit/ BMS, B&C, Radian, etc.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X – 3 -9.8

0 – 2 -9.0

1 – 4 -6.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 – 3 -6.0 (preferred by many who listen louder than most)

X – 4 -5.5 (default setting using Al's Trachorn or Dave's Fastrac)

2 – 5 -3.8 (my preferred default setting for stock Klipsch components)

0 – 4 -3.0 (Klipsch stock setting)

Yup!! the big mid horns with big 2" drivers will require an extreme amount of attenuation. I'd start where Dean suggested even though he has no idea what he is talking about ;) Totally full of BS..............

I had started a thread over in mods asking everyone what they are running and how they are attenuating their systems. There weren't alot of responses, but between what was posted and the information I get from folks who call me I was able to put together a matrix of sorts. I was hoping to fill the gaps in the chart with some useful information but I guess I'm just going to have to wait until people get more vocal about what they're doing.

Robert, I don't know any more about powered loudspeakers than I do about active crossovers. All I can tell you is what you already know -- when a capacitor blows, it can either be because the capacitor was bad or something downstream caused it to blow. I really don't have the skill sets to mess with low level signal stuff.

Just a quick update, at the first setting that Dean recommended that I start at they sound very impressive! I'm a buyer for sure, now to decide how much I want to spend. [Y] Drink the kool-aid folks, it's very good stuff, lol. Nice work Dean and thanks again for the chance to try them out. I can't wait to try out some more settings but for a day or so I'm just going to soak it in as is.

Craig,

I've got a set of La Scalas, with Crites woofers and Crites tweeters and a set of Dave Harris wood horns. I first used the crossovers that were in them, vintage 1977 and they really didn't sound very good, and since have been using the Cornscala_Wall economy Universal's that had been in my Cornwalls. I know that they weren't really made for La Scalas but have been using them until I could decide on what I want to use with the La Scalas. To be honest the economy universals sound pretty good in them, but Deans really pull away once you start to apply a little more power to them. I'm looking forward to playing around with them a little more.

Dean, when you get a chance send me your phone number so I can talk to you about the different choices you offer in them.

Hi Rusty,

As of yesterday there are only two choices. I will build these with either the Mundorf oil filled polypropylenes or with the VH Audio OIMP V-caps. The former is affordable, the latter is not. :-) I don't advertise the V-cap build, no need to really, everyone always asks if I'll do it and what it costs. For information on why I decided to do this and for pricing info on the Mundorf build, just head over to the products page of my website. Simply put, only 1 in 5 were interested in the economy build, and after one guy said if he didn't like it he would just send it back to have the capacitors upgraded -- I decided to drop the build. If all I do is expensive, people say I'm too expensive. When I offer something affordable, nobody wants it. I have two right now who bought the economy version wondering if they should have taken it to the next level. What I have finally figured out is that people don't come to me for "cheap", they come to me for something better than good. I think I'm okay with that.

I was the first to try the Road Show AA’s and was very impressed with the improvement over my AL 3’s, the open natural sound was well beyond anything I had. I wanted a pair. After much discussion with Dean I ended up with the Super AA’s with the Mundorfs over the “entry level” Road Shows. What I got was more clarity and detail from top to bottom, tighter bass, with crisper highs, the sound stage is bigger and with more “in the room” presence, the LaScala’s have never sounded better. These crossovers have revealed a whole other level of what Craig’s VRD’s and the LaScalas can produce. Dean and Craig are masters at what they do, well worth the price of admission.

Tom

Bruce, I told myself a long time ago that I wouldn't build anything that I wouldn't use myself. My son (Austin) has offered to build the economy version, but he's not quite there yet. His soldering skills are there, but he hasn't mastered being anal yet, and you know how I am -- it doesn't leave my bench unless it looks as nice as it sounds. When I think he's ready I'll cut him loose, but not right now. In the interim, I feel better building something that delivers the appropriate "wow factor" in both performance and aesthetics. BTW, if people would follow me on Facebook like they're supposed to, they would learn that I offer payment plans for forum members in good standing. :) That was one of the reasons for the page, was so I could talk about things I couldn't talk about here. I guess most here just aren't into that kind of thing.

Tom, I'm not an Engineer, I just play one on the internet. Actually I am an Engineer, I'm even a Network Engineer -- it just doesn't have anything to do with audio. [:P]

Hi Rusty,

As of yesterday there are only two choices. I will build these with either the Mundorf oil filled polypropylenes or with the VH Audio OIMP V-caps. The former is affordable, the latter is not. :-) I don't advertise the V-cap build, no need to really, everyone always asks if I'll do it and what it costs. For information on why I decided to do this and for pricing info on the Mundorf build, just head over to the products page of my website. Simply put, only 1 in 5 were interested in the economy build, and after one guy said if he didn't like it he would just send it back to have the capacitors upgraded -- I decided to drop the build. If all I do is expensive, people say I'm too expensive. When I offer something affordable, nobody wants it. I have two right now who bought the economy version wondering if they should have taken it to the next level. What I have finally figured out is that people don't come to me for "cheap", they come to me for something better than good. I think I'm okay with that.

Dean I want a cheap set....;)

Hi Rusty,

Dean I want a cheap set....;)

Craig, I was about to say the same thing, he bait and switched me........I was to eager, lol.