Best amp for Cornwalls

doogie67

I just scored a set of 1983 Cornwalls on Craiglist for $150. I have been looking for a pair of these locally for years. I like to listen to a variety of music from Classical to Hard Rock. Right now I have a MAC 1700 hooked up to them and they sound pretty good. I plan on rebuilding the crossovers soon because they are original. I have a Marantz 2245 that needs recaped (does not work yet)and I have enough parts to build a tube amp. I was wondering if the tube amp would be able to give the "punch" that the hard rock needs to sound good. I don't hear of many people listening to such music with tube amps. I have a set of Heresy's that I did try a tube amp on, and the sound lacked "that punch". Please excuse my inexperience. What direction should I go.

There are some integrated tube amps that have a higher power rating that may be a match for the Cornwall's. I use an 85 watt integrated tube amp to drive m RF 7's. It seems to be able to reach the same level as my Pioneer Elites SC 35 avr without a problem. I listen to a wide range of music and the the bass output is definetly not shy.

Doogie67,

I am not steering you away from a tube amp but here is an excellent alternative.

Get one of these and never look back. Bass drive to die for, sweet velvety midrange, and detail to no end. This Luxman receiver is blessed with 160 true watts per channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-R-117-AM-FM-Receiver-w-Remote-Just-Serviced-WORKING-GREAT-w-REMOTE-/290946264908?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43bdbfaf4c

I sold mine to DeanG here on the forum and he could not be happier. The Luxman drove my Heresys like no other amp has ever before.

I have also owned the middle brother in that line the R-115 at 70w/ch and it has the same qualities as the R-117 but with a little less headroom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-R-115-Vintage-Receiver-With-Remote-/231016907482?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35c9ae42da

Both receivers have preouts if you must add an outboard amp but I promise you either receiver has plenty of ooomph to do the job.

Bill

There are some integrated tube amps that have a higher power rating that may be a match for the Cornwall's. I use an 85 watt integrated tube amp to drive m RF 7's. It seems to be able to reach the same level as my Pioneer Elites SC 35 avr without a problem. I listen to a wide range of music and the the bass output is definetly not shy.

Let's make sure the OP knows your 85 watt tube amp is a hybrid, with a solid state topology output...don't want the guy thinking he can find a 85 watt integrated tube amp without getting sticker shock. (if there is such a thing as actual 85 watt integrated tube amp)

Thanks Mike for making that important distiction. I am new to all this tube gear and terminology, but learningBig Smile The output stage of the Yaqin has transitor and tubes in the preamp.

The key with the hybrid amp is that the transistor output can make a significant difference driving the low impedance dips in the RF7x response. The Cornwalls should not be quite as bad. The biggest factor in my opinion will be room placement for getting appropriate bass and punch.