Need to prewire the house, any ideas?

I am in the process of doing soem renovation and it is time to prewire everything. I already have the whoel house prewired with CAT6.

What else do I need? This is preliminary. I will need:

alarm system (I do not want wireless) & video

Audio system - If I could have a computer hooked to the internet and server and access it with various receivers and amps that woudl be great. Don't know how to get there yet.

Lighting, maybe. Probably a low voltage system.

ac control

does anyone here do this for a living? Where do I begin my research? Thanks.

I am in the process of doing soem renovation and it is time to prewire everything. I already have the whoel house prewired with CAT6.

What else do I need? This is preliminary. I will need:

alarm system (I do not want wireless) & video

Audio system - If I could have a computer hooked to the internet and server and access it with various receivers and amps that woudl be great. Don't know how to get there yet.

Lighting, maybe. Probably a low voltage system.

ac control

does anyone here do this for a living? Where do I begin my research? Thanks.

Not my forte' when I was doing some home theatre with a lead tech/friend always reminded me of doing some redundancy, that is, whenever possible allow an extra line in case of failure. Although not needed for your video needs, I found that a good RG-6 sheilded decently could be used when terminated w/phono connects for audio, and future video possibilities you may not envision presently. We would sometime come in before the walls were up and run our wires from an easilyaccessible junction box. for our purposes we always took into consideration of possible future cable/sat system use and always prewired one or 2 short runs to the outside through exterior wall into junction box/panel. Fishing walls through the hot attic in Florida, while not impossible certainly is easier to accomplish before the fact. All I got for now.

Some good 300 Ohm twinlead, for if you ever want to DX FM or HDTV.

Some 50 Ohm coax, for if you ever do the Ham Radio thing.

Even if you never use either of these, it might make the house more attractive to a future buyer.

I have always been interested in remote stuff for the home. Wouldn't it be cool to be on vacation and know which lights are on, doors are opened, etc.? Even better to be able to trip a light on from a computer thousands of miles away. On the same program, be able to see your security cameras and replays. Arm your alarm from a smartphone while miles away at lunch. Here is a website where they sell home automation stuff. http://www.smarthome.com/homeautomation.html

These guys know a lot more than I do. No such thing as over wiring a house. Built my home starting in the 70's. Still have wiring circuits that I can access and use. Haven't lived there in 25 years, but maybe some day I'll move back. Don't skimp on anything If you are doing the building yourself and plan to live there. Build as though you are building for your grandkids grandkids. I never had any problems with any of the inspections. The inspectors would just shake there heads and mutter "I don't know why" and sign off on the inspection.

If you live in cold climate don't forget to wire under the house for lights, plugins, and for heater when freezing weather arrives. I did and it amazed the electrical inspector. The heater turns on at 33 degrees. ..........................Taz

Power to your attic that is controlled from a switch downstairs.

All land lines should be home runs to the phone junction box, that way if one line gets chewed in half by a mouse you do not lose the others on the same wire run.

Smoke detectors that work through your security system that are powered by 120 VAC with battery backup.

Outdoor motion sensor lights

If a single story house, use inexpensive plastic conduit to run down to your communication outlets in the rooms. This allows pulling new wire for updating communication systems or adding to what you already have. Pulling wire can be a real pain.

Ceiling fans. In Texas you got to have them. As many as your decor will allow. Do not forget kitchens, bathrooms, porches and garages.

Dimmer switches on overhead lights.

If you hang Christmas lights outside then weather protected outlets in the eaves of your roof.

Ground fault interuptors on kitchen, bathroom and outdoor power circuits.

TV/internet cabling - whatever you may plan to use to the rooms that plan on using them and then some that maybe you presently have no plans for.

Home runs for power from your audio room to your breaker box.

If your house is fairly large, an intercom system. They come in handy.

Beer tap in your audio room.

Hope this helps. Most of this I did when I built my house 18 years ago.

Thanks for the responses. I think that I need to figure out the audio first. How do I have 1 source that can strem through the entire house? I have rooms where I want to have audio, but not critcal listening

I ran wire under the house to all bedrooms for stereo plus some other areas that I might someday want speakers.

I also ran a curcuit with what I think is called a double throw switch That allows me turn on and off stereo equipment that is plugged custom circuit from master bedroom as well as in stereo control room. Kinda nice when you want to listen to music in the bedroom, but be able to turn it off without leaving the bedroom.

" How do I have 1 source that can strem through the entire house? I have
rooms where I want to have audio, but not critcal listenin"

Niles has made a switch whereyou can switch to different rooms. The one I have has a "Protection mode" to prevent problems with impedence while runing more then one set of speakers. I know that my switch has at least 4 speakers selections and maybe 5 that can be run at the same time. Don't ask me how they designed it, but it does have protection switch on the box as well as the selector switches.

...........................................................................................Taz

Thanks for the responses. I think that I need to figure out the audio first. How do I have 1 source that can strem through the entire house? I have rooms where I want to have audio, but not critcal listening

Buy a bigger amp.

does anyone here do this for a living? Where do I begin my research?

There's a company in CA that does this type of stuff, and they caters to the movie stars, pop stars, rock stars and just about anybody with enough money. But I don't think you're gonna want to pay what he charges. Something on the order of between $50k and $100k, depending on how far you want to take it.

They'll set it up so that you can do everything with your smart phone, laptop, notebook, or a PC from anywhere in the country. You can adjust your thermostat(s), camera angles, pool temps, monitor you alarm, whatever you want. It only costs money.

Don't think everything will be hardwired, which is also the way I would want it. At some point, I would suspect you'll have to accept some type of IR or RF signal to a control receiver, which can be hardwired (Ethernet) to a control server with the capability of being operated remotely/internet.