Marantz, Denon, Yamaha?

Assumer

Hey guys just wondering if anyone had a good breakdown of what the general difference in sound was between these receivers. I currently own a denon and like the sound. I was considering an upgrade but it is difficult to audition a varity of equipment due to the lack of local dealers. I currently listened to a friends Marantz with Axiom speakers and it sounded warmer then my Denon but I missed the high end of my system. (of course could have been the speakers) Currently using Chorus IIs in the front, Forte IIs in the rear with a RSW 15 inch sub and RC7 in the center channel. Any idea of what the different receivers would do sound wise with this setup?

Thanks

Not on your list but the Pioneer/Pioneer Elite models with the "D3" amplifiers sound nothing short of amazing. Caused me to sell my tubes. Surprise

You are quite correct. I purchased 1 SC-1222k's when I thought they were really inexpensive at $599 but the same guts as the Elite line. Ended up buying a second one. 4ohm capable so no issue pushing hard loads. For $564 on Amazon is a great deal.

Even though last years model, if you aren't looking for 4K video, sound wise they are great. The SC-61, almost the same model as the SC-1222k minus 12volt triggers, was reviewed very favorably by Home Theater. http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver

I have a Denon and never have liked it at all. I really like the sound of my Harman Kardon. I would like to hear the Pioneer Elite with D3 amps. I have heard a Yamaha with RF-7's and I thought it was bright. Just my personal experience.

Hey Vital, with all that great gear you have I can't imagine it not sounding great, Heck, you could run things off a car battery and it would sound good, lol. You would need to demo a Pioneer for at least a week since we all are acustom to the sound that we currently have.[:)]

Hey Vital, with all that great gear you have I can't imagine it not sounding great, Heck, you could run things off a car battery and it would sound good, lol. You would need to demo a Pioneer for at least a week since we all are acustom to the sound that we currently have.Smile

Hah, I have a fetish. If I see a deal on CL too good to pass up I usually snag it! I'm thinning out the stock though, gonna make my push for some pro audio gear real soon. I'm seriously interested in the Pioneer units. I will be buying an AVR within a month or so. It will probably be either an HK or a Pioneer.

• Moderators

I am a music guy before HT but the wife does love movies.

I moved from Onkyo to Yamaha and wan't super satisfied for 2ch. When I switched to my first love, Harman Kardon, I couldn't be happier. Very musical sounding unit.

Looking at upper models from all three of these, I doubt the majority here could distinguish the sound between any three given equal and constant levels. I think you will do well with any of the three, but if there was a obvious sound quality difference, the folks here would know it and it would be what all Klipsch owners bought when it came to AVR's. As far as bench tests go, Denon is usually on top when it comes to SNR's, channel separation, THD, etc. Once again, I know my ears couldnt tell the difference. Just get an upper end model and I think you will be happy, If not, score you a quality amp to plug in to it and call it a day.

I doubt the majority here could distinguish the sound between any three given equal and constant levels

Yes, you will hear a difference between a Yamaha and a Denon on Klipsch speakers. These are not just amps, they have preamp sections which vary drastically and they each have their own sound signature. The Marantz and Denon, I don't know, they probably sound a lot a like since they are the same company.

but if there was a obvious sound quality difference, the folks here would know it and it would be what all Klipsch owners bought when it came to AVR's

All you need to do is search these forums and you'll have people saying over and over again for the past 13 years that Harman Kardon is one of the best sounding AVRs for Klipsch when it comes to music. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Most people would rather buy an AVR rated at 150 watts with all the bells and whistles than an AVR rated at 80 watts no matter how many people on a forum tell them the lower rated HK has more power and sounds better.

I love the Chorus IIs but they are big for my current room.

Too big in what sense? Visually? What are your room dimentions? I doubt if they are too big sound-wise, unless you are talking about a closet sized room[:)].

To compare good receivers, they should be in the same room, with the same speakers, in the same positions, with the same listening position. Can you and your friend temporarily pool your equipment and then compare receivers?

• Moderators

All you need to do is search these forums and you'll have people saying over and over again for the past 13 years that Harman Kardon is one of the best sounding AVRs for Klipsch when it comes to music.

I would agree with that. My first pair of Klipsch was paired with an older Harman Kardon AVR55. Several years passed, moved to Onkyo, to Yamaha then to Emotiva and ended up right back where I started....Harman Kardon....all because I felt the others just didn't have the sound I personally was looking for 2ch. It's also fantastic for HT as well. Everyone has their own taste....I know what my taste buds like. [:D]

I was speaking of being too big physically for the room. After setting everything up properly, I have decided to keep what I have. The Chorus IIs sound great! I can live with the size of the speakers. I went and listened to a friends Axiom speakers and they sounded good but kinda loose for lack of a better word. When I returned home and listened to my Klipsch with the Denon receiver, I gained a new apprication for Klipsch. They were defined with tight bass. Gonna keep what i have.

I doubt the majority here could distinguish the sound between any three given equal and constant levels

Yes, you will hear a difference between a Yamaha and a Denon on Klipsch speakers. These are not just amps, they have preamp sections which vary drastically and they each have their own sound signature. The Marantz and Denon, I don't know, they probably sound a lot a like since they are the same company.

but if there was a obvious sound quality difference, the folks here would know it and it would be what all Klipsch owners bought when it came to AVR's

All you need to do is search these forums and you'll have people saying over and over again for the past 13 years that Harman Kardon is one of the best sounding AVRs for Klipsch when it comes to music. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Most people would rather buy an AVR rated at 150 watts with all the bells and whistles than an AVR rated at 80 watts no matter how many people on a forum tell them the lower rated HK has more power and sounds better.

Well that's solved

The Chorus IIs sound great! I can live with the size of the speakers. I went and listened to a friends Axiom speakers and they sounded good but kinda loose for lack of a better word. When I returned home and listened to my Klipsch with the Denon receiver, I gained a new apprication for Klipsch. They were defined with tight bass

Your subwoofer and mine (RSW15) sounds "kinda loose" to me. I ended up setting my Klipshorn channels for Large, with the RSW15 getting fed "LFE + Main," after much experimentation. That way I get some of the "tight" bass impact from the Khorns (timpani, etc.), and the looser bass drone of the RSW15, which also goes lower than the Khorns; the RSW15 gets fed the special movie LFE mixed with everything else below 80 Hz. The Khorns and the RSW sound like they are in phase, and my pre/pro's Audyssey may help with that.