Is Heresy ok for center with LaScala's

SonicSeeker

My opinion, no.

I think you should try to fit another LaScala in there if possible and if not, perhaps a Cornwall. I personally, wouldn't want to go smaller than a Cornwall.

I would say same for rears but, would personally consider Heresy's for rears in the situation. I'll certainly expect others to disagree with me but we all know they'll be wrong [:o]

Bit much for the room I have. I thought the heresy was originally for a center between k-horns.

they Were "Marketed as center for K-horns" that way as a combo & so was the Cornwall , but in reality neither does a good job of it due to the smaller mid horn ,the CW has a larger mid horn than a Heresy but not big enough of one to even come close to the K-horn IMO

Now a CornScala would work just fine , there are a few horizontal CornScalas around

I have to agree. The Heresy will do in a pinch; I used one several years ago and was happy with it... until I tried one of the La Scala that I was using a surround. The Heresy makes its presence known (you know you are listening to a speaker) because of the compressed dynamics compared to the KHorn. Dropping-in the La Scala as center makes it all seemless.

I use the Heresy as side surrounds and like them them a lot.

I used a Heresy II as a centre speaker between a pair of La Scalas and it sounded all right. I updated it to a Heresy III and it sounded better.

When I replaced it with a Belle, then the soundstage was really ideal. A La Scala or Belle makes the best centre speaker between a pair of La Scalas, but if you have a Heresy you can use, it won't sound bad, just less than perfect. Like psg, I was happy with it (for a couple of years in my case), but was more happy with the larger speaker. You may find the Heresy satisfactory because of its size or other reasons.

A single Heresy is not that expensive, so you could try it and see if you like it. If it doesn't suit you as a front centre, it can serve as rear centre or as one of a pair of surround speakers. The ideal is five, six, or seven La Scalas, but that's not practical for every room or every budget.

Bit much for the room I have. I thought the heresy was originally for a center between k-horns.

they Were "Marketed as center for K-horns" that way as a combo & so was the Cornwall , but in reality neither does a good job of it due to the smaller mid horn ,the CW has a larger mid horn than a Heresy but not big enough of one to even come close to the K-horn IMO

Now a CornScala would work just fine , there are a few horizontal CornScalas around

thought the Cornwall used the exact same mid horn as the heresy? I'm pretty sure they do and that's why most move to the "corn scala". For that bigger mid horn!

Another option is to run a "phantom center". I honestly don't know why more people don't do it. Klipsch speakers image incredibly well. How many times have you heard people brag that in 2 channel mode most people swear the center is on?? I've heard it said a bunch and experienced it as well. You don't have to worry about timbre matching as there's no speaker to match. You also don't have to worry about a smaller center keeping up with larger mains.

I have 2 Heresy's surrounding a TV and you'd swear the voices were coming directly from the TV. My daughter and son-in-law have 2 Fortes set up the same way. It really works well. You really don't miss the center speaker at all.

Another option is to run a "phantom center". I honestly don't know why more people don't do it. Klipsch speakers image incredibly well. How many times have you heard people brag that in 2 channel mode most people swear the center is on?? I've heard it said a bunch and experienced it as well. You don't have to worry about timbre matching as there's no speaker to match. You also don't have to worry about a smaller center keeping up with larger mains.

I have 2 Heresy's surrounding a TV and you'd swear the voices were coming directly from the TV. My daughter and son-in-law have 2 Fortes set up the same way. It really works well. You really don't miss the center speaker at all.

I do the same with cornwalls and it works great. I think it comes into play when the L and R are far apart. As long as they aren't to far apart i agree its a better option then a undersized non timbre matched speaker.

this is great advice, reminds me of back in the early 90's i went to my local klipsch dealer to buy a new academy to use between my k-horns. i think it was like 450-600 for a new one. my dealer said just run phantom center. a dealer turning down money. my pioneer at the time had phantom center

i don't think new receivers have a setting for phantom center like they did back then

• 2 weeks later...

The Heresy might serve best when you cannot fit a LaScala. I used to put my TV on top of the LaScala but the image height is too tall. I ended up looking up at the screen instead of at. The other solution is to get an acoustically transparent screen, but that will be a compromise in image quality. Hey movie theaters do it!

I'm considering going the Heresy center channel, since a projector and AT screen are not in my "Crystal ball." I must wish I had one to demo against my lascala.