Subs To Go With Khorns

jcmusic

I always needed a subwoofer with my K Horns for 2 channel until I enclosed the backs. I used a Klipsch SW15 at the time, not a very good subwoofer, but it put out a lot of bass, even though it was sloppy.

After enclosing the backs of the k Horns I used to think the subwoofer was on and it was not, I eventually stopped using it (2 channel listening). I extended the backs out a little more than most, but did not have them in the corners.

I had an active X over so I was able to set each drivers level.

Food for thought. Maybe you do not need as much subwoofer that you think.

Thanks for the reply and you may be correct. The backs of my Khorns have been enclosed for a while now, and it doesn't really sound like I need a sub but; the room measurements seem to say I do.

I am going to listen more before making a decision as I just finished installing the last of the acoustic treatment. I have to eq the room a bit, once I get that dialed in then I should be able to decide. The first measurement is after eq the second is flat.

post-18877-0-11520000-1387861978_thumb.j

post-18877-0-62160000-1387862032_thumb.j

Edited by canyonman

Got any local friends with subs so you can try one out? If not get one with an in home trial. Send it back for a 10% restocking fee "loss" to know if it would really benefit you. I'd say by your graphs it looks like you could definitely use one. But I also try not to obsess over graphs. I have a NASTY null around 72 hz in my room which is a very chest punchy bass region. Had I never got my mic I wouldn't have noticed it. I am extremely happy with my theater downstairs. I don't stress it.

Well Scrappydue, I am not stressing over it but, once I get started on something I like to get it done. Anyway with the addition of all the acoustic treatment and the Eq it's like learning how to listen all over again. I have been so conditioned to a boomy bass without knowing it for years, until I heard a friends system with room correction. That's when I discovered I didn't like the boom and want a clearer tighter bass... So now the treatment is done and I am trying to find what a true flat sound is like, then some Eq adjustments to get to what I like...

Well Scrappydue, I am not stressing over it but, once I get started on something I like to get it done. Anyway with the addition of all the acoustic treatment and the Eq it's like learning how to listen all over again. I have been so conditioned to a boomy bass without knowing it for years, until I heard a friends system with room correction. That's when I discovered I didn't like the boom and want a clearer tighter bass... So now the treatment is done and I am trying to find what a true flat sound is like, then some Eq adjustments to get to what I like...

audyssey xt

audyssey xt

Well ClaudeJ1 I already have a mic and M Audio Mobile Pre and use the REW free software, the Audyssey seems to be for HT, I am strickly 2 channel.

• 2 weeks later...

New sub arrives today i can't wait to start playing with this, it will be my first sub ever in a two channel system!!!

Canyonman,

So what did you get??

There is a Velodyne HGS-10 on Ebay that is coming down in a day and a half with no bids and a starting bid of $225! That would be a score!

Roger

New sub arrives today i can't wait to start playing with this, it will be my first sub ever in a two channel system!!!

Canyonman,

So what did you get??

There is a Velodyne HGS-10 on Ebay that is coming down in a day and a half with no bids and a starting bid of $225! That would be a score!

Roger

Hey Roger,

I am starting with a single SVS SB1000 and will go from there...

Canyonman,

So what did you get??

Roger

Hey Roger,

I am starting with a single SVS SB1000 and will go from there...

Good deal! Let us know how you like it!

Roger

Well I just yesterday was able to sit down and listen for awhile, I still have to find the sweet spot for the gain it is a work in progress. Up to this point the music sounds great I just have to listen for awhile which using a sub in my system is new to me. So I am gonna let me ears decide the outcome, I have my room measuements which are pretty flat without the sub by adding the sub I should expirence some improvment.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the sub, I found that I have a nasty room null in my room at 70hz. so I moved the listening chair back a few feet wow!!! What a difference no more issues at 70hz but, it is now showing around 50 hz. Well I was able with the help of one the Klipsch Forum Brothers to get the sub dialed in and found the sound that I was looking for. Looking at the frequency measurements I could see that around 95hz the mains started to roll off some, I thought this was very unusual for Khorns as I tried to figure out why this was happening. Finnaly I was able to sort it out I think anyway, turns out that my amp is only 2wpc so that would explain the mains rolling off, there just isn't enoght power to drive the 15" woofers and the two other drivers. That's where the sub comes in using my Eq I set a HPF at 90hz and the subs xovers at 80hz, and it is there I found that sound I have been trying to find for a long time now. A nice and tight bass with alot of thud to it and no boomyness!!! Anyway I was so ipressed with this sound that I ordered another sub to try and cancel out the room null I was sitting in, we shall see soon enough... At the very least though I am happy I tried the sub and have no regrets to this point. I know alot of guys will say that the sub is too small and won't work with the big horns, WRONG!!! it all depends on the situation, I have a small room 16X13X8 so the sub has no problem loading the room and I don't listen louder than about 90db so it works. I am looking forward to installing the second sub hoping it smooths out the that one bad area!!! To be continued!!!

Here a picture of the Danley sound labs spud. This is not my photo I copied it off the net from another forum(hopefully the owner doesn't mind me using it).

thats rmk from Avs. Those subs are long gone from his setup. JTR rules his room now. In fact he is selling his current JTR setup to buy their new flagship products when they come out.

I'm going over to his place in March to check it out.

Update on the sub, I found that I have a nasty room null in my room at 70hz. so I moved the listening chair back a few feet wow!!! What a difference no more issues at 70hz but, it is now showing around 50 hz. Well I was able with the help of one the Klipsch Forum Brothers to get the sub dialed in and found the sound that I was looking for. Looking at the frequency measurements I could see that around 95hz the mains started to roll off some, I thought this was very unusual for Khorns as I tried to figure out why this was happening. Finnaly I was able to sort it out I think anyway, turns out that my amp is only 2wpc so that would explain the mains rolling off, there just isn't enoght power to drive the 15" woofers and the two other drivers. That's where the sub comes in using my Eq I set a HPF at 90hz and the subs xovers at 80hz, and it is there I found that sound I have been trying to find for a long time now. A nice and tight bass with alot of thud to it and no boomyness!!! Anyway I was so ipressed with this sound that I ordered another sub to try and cancel out the room null I was sitting in, we shall see soon enough... At the very least though I am happy I tried the sub and have no regrets to this point. I know alot of guys will say that the sub is too small and won't work with the big horns, WRONG!!! it all depends on the situation, I have a small room 16X13X8 so the sub has no problem loading the room and I don't listen louder than about 90db so it works. I am looking forward to installing the second sub hoping it smooths out the that one bad area!!! To be continued!!!

lol awesome! only had a sub for a few days and already buying another one. be careful they can get addicting. trust me ;)

lol awesome! only had a sub for a few days and already buying another one. be careful they can get addicting. trust me ;)

Well scrappy to be honest I was gonna get two to start with and then decided to try one and if it worked try another, so here we are. Not to mention I have a 45 day audition period in my home, then I can keep them or return them works for me. I just have to play with them and find the sweet spot it may take awhile...

Edited by canyonman

Hearing that last octave is like having sex for the first time. You finally realize what you've been missing, without the awkward feeling afterwards.

Well I don't know if I would go that far LOL!!! but your close!!! LOL!!! Second sub will be here on Monday yippy!!!

Hearing that last octave is like having sex for the first time. You finally realize what you've been missing, without the awkward feeling afterwards.

Wow, do you start thinking about subs a lot and if you do not hear a sub for a little while you start having thoughts of subs every few minutes and can't concentrate on your work and get cranky, then you hear a sub and are fine for a few days and it all starts again? :huh: