Cornwalls, lousy room, no bass....

radom

My Cornscala's have no bass problems.

After you check the logical things posted above. Consider this...

Is your room is square? You may suffer from bass cancelation. I struggled with it for a long time. The geometry of a square room is not good for the reflection of lower frequency sound waves. I found the following on a site which explains better than I can.

"When the total distance traveled by reflected sound is half a wavelength of the original sound, it destructively interferes with the direct sound causing a notch to appear in the bass region of the loudspeaker. This first notch will be typically about 2/3rd octave wide and cause a significant decrease of the total bass energy in the room. You must check that the loudspeaker is not at a distance from the wall behind it that will cause this cancellation notch to appear in the frequency range that the loudspeaker can reproduce."

I installed and juggled all sorts of sound treatment panels, traps, and reflectors. The room never sounded good. The continuation of the theory as it was explained to me is that no matter the arrangement, some frequency would suffer be cause equidistant reflection surfaces. If squareness is present (not you, the room), take your speakers to different space and see if they sound better.

Edited by bliss53

Proper phasing. Not square, but cancellation may still be a possibility. Carver CT6 & m500t. The old 500 is better than a Sunfire 600 on these, believe it or not. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd have this problem when I decided to get the Corns. I can always crank the bass knob way up, but it ain't right. Got me considering tubes, something I've avoided for near 40 years.....

Appreciate the input, folks.

I found cornwalls to have the bass I most liked about Klipsch, and I have owned every Heritage speaker they made. I would suspect something is wrong with either your crossover, woofers, or room effects.

I think it would serve you well to try and pinpoint the problem. Have you checked all the connections inside the speakers? Phasing between speakers?

Thanks everyone. I haven't been inside 'em myself, they are ALL new inside. So, out of phase inside is possible. Although, the feller that did 'em up really knows his Klipsch stuff. Anyone can make a mistake. I'll get inside over the weekend and update.

I have cornwalls and cornscalas in an older home with hardwood floors, I keep them about 4" off the floor on roller dollies to reduce the base interacting with the floor, about 6" off back wall, and 14" maybe off side walls... kinda out of the corners ... bass sounds awsome there imo.... it would be hard for me to see cornwalls not having enough bass ... i would think it's something else also...

Edited by paperboy117

Did you try em in a different room? That might be easier than opening them up. That would eliminate the room out of the equation

This would be my suggestion first.

I replaced the carpet in my home with hardwood throughout and it made my house into an echo chamber and really raised some serious issues with my sound.

Did you try em in a different room? That might be easier than opening them up. That would eliminate the room out of the equation

The room issue is not likely the cause in all bass frequencies. Besides, all you need to do is walk around the room with bass playing and you will know how bad the cancellation is and where it is strongest and weakest.

I never found taking the backs off very difficult and since they are 'new' to this listener, it might be beneficial to ensure there are no bad connections etc.....but you have to start somewhere.

Why couldn't he reverse the wiring on one speaker and see if it helps? If it doesn't, there's no need to go into the speaker.

Of course that's one option, but now the mid and tweeter are reversed as well. But you are correct, that is one quick way to check the bass only.

Why couldn't he reverse the wiring on one speaker and see if it helps? If it doesn't, there's no need to go into the speaker.

Of course that's one option, but now the mid and tweeter are reversed as well. But you are correct, that is one quick way to check the bass only.

That was for testing purposes only, not a fix. If it makes a difference, I think I'd take both speakers apart and check all wiring.