Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

@Mikekid  Some nice shots there.  Lightning is great stuff to shoot.  Was North in Michigan one summer and caught an amazing electrical storm.  So my buddy and I broke out the tripods and went to work.  Craziest thing I ever saw.  It was like the lightning coming up from the ground going into the clouds.  Not down from the clouds.  I'm STILL stumped on that one.  Ruled out cloud cover so dunno what or how but I'm still stumped 40 years later.  lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/9/2024 at 9:06 AM, Marvel said:

My great great grandfather passed away in 1923 (born in 1843). His wife was born in 1849, died in 1946.

I was thinking about this... My GGGrandmother was a teenager during the US Civil War and lived past the end of World War II.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

I was thinking about this... My GGGrandmother was a teenager during the US Civil War and lived past the end of World War II.

That's crazy when you think about it.  The things she saw/lived thru during those years actually built the foundation of the USA.  Just amazing when you think about it.  Automobiles instead of horses, trucks, electricity, telephones, cinemas, medical technology just everything.  Wait!  I missed prohibition!  😂

• Haha 1

I have to check some other info. I think this is my paternal grandmother (the youngest in the front), with twin sisters on the right side, with her and older sister on the left. She was born in 1898.  [corrected]

IMG_20240411_0001.jpg

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, reid666 said:

I wish i could post some of the best pictures but unfortunately i lost all the pics along with the hard drive :(

I went print to digit once upon a time.  That was enough.  28 years of B&W along w/boxes of Kodachrome 64.  Yep, know what I'm doing w/those.  Today & digital?  I'm LUCKY to get it outta the phone and onto a hard drive.  I honestly am clueless.  I've got stuff on phones laying here.  lol  My daughter set the phone to upload to Google then when Google Face Groups hit I was lost again.  Stressin on how to do it so I asked her.  She turned somethoing on the phone on and said there it's done.  I'd spent 3 days trying to figure out how to avoid losing all my photos in google.  This crap is nuts for old guys!  lolol  :)

sharing family stuff?

Mom (Japanese) and Dad (German) around the time they decided to make me in mid 1961... only to regret it early 1962 when I was born. That was pretty taboo stuff in early 1960's.

53643054994_a00e8594f2_k.jpg

53647726201_aca4652478_k.jpg

My Great Gandfather from my Dad's Dad Mothers side (Braun)... on a Movie set in Hollywood.

53643054984_a50c347f73_3k.jpg53643178500_5ff724a807_3k.jpg

• Like 6

It should never have mattered, Michael, but it did for too many people. Unfortunately it still matters to some. I'll stop before I get in trouble.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I have to check some other info. I think this is my paternal grandmother (the youngest in the front), with twin sisters flanking her and older sister in the back. She was born in 1898.

IMG_20240411_0001.jpg

Post from another forum I recently read:

2 parents
4 grandparents
8 great-grandparents
16 second great-grandparents
32 third great-grandparents
64 fourth great-grandparents
128 fifth great-grandparents
256 sixth great-grandparents
512 seventh great-grandparents
1028 eight great-grandparents
2048 ninth great-grandparents

for you to be born today from 12 previous generations, you needed a total 0f 4094 ancestors over the last 400 years.
think for a moment, how many struggles? how many battles? how many difficulties? how much sadness? how many love stories? how many expressions of hope for the future? did your ancestors have to undergo for you to exist in this present moment...”

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

It should never have mattered, Michael, but it did for too many people. Unfortunately it still matters to some. I'll stop before I get in trouble.

Well you know... in 1960 it was less than 20 years after Pearl, and only a few years after Korea so all things Asian was exotic and interesting, as long as it wasn't your next door neighbor.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, reid666 said:

I wish i could post some of the best pictures but unfortunately i lost all the pics along with the hard drive :(

That is why sometimes having a physical medium helps. I was cleaning my father attic and found a developed color print film in sleeves. I took those photos in 1998. Gave them to the lab to digitize them and make the usual prints and voila, no color loss in spite the sleeves were exposed to cold and hot environment for many years.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 9:38 PM, Mikekid said:

Kestrel rain-dance

_MG_1493csmall.jpg

Incredible shot! As soon as i finish writing my research paper, with the little help from these guys https://academized.com/custom-research-paper, i think i will take a photography course. I always liked to take photos but for some reason never had this feeling where is a better light etc etc etc.

Edited by gillrich
  • Thanks 2