Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Ok, anyone else see that big deer in @JohnJ's pic?  Bwa ha ha ha!   😂

Some nice shots there @Islander  I did about 80% of my shooting in B&W back in the day.  Sooo much easier to work with in the lab than C-41.  

Lost a SI cover shot the year of the Ohio State - Indiana 2OT hoops win in Cbus because it wasn't in color.  Every big gun on the planet was there including SI and they ALL missed the winner.  Was truly a hoot cause I was the only one to nail it and they couldn't figure out HOW I knew the ball was going where it did.  They ALL thought Jim Jackson was gonna take the final shot.  I just told 'em ya have to listen and stand by what He tells you to do.  That's exactly what I did that day.  Did make 1k from a magazine on it though.  :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Full Range said:

Native bees are stingless and they make honey pods like small marbles joined together 

The honey is medicinal as well as delicious 

Honey pods look like this 

maxresdefault.jpg

Those are amazing! Stingless would be nice... I believe the honey from our bees is also medicinal, as well, but this is giving thought for some further reading.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Those are amazing! Stingless would be nice... I believe the honey from our bees is also medicinal, as well, but this is giving thought for some further reading.

Look up the Manuka honey it has to do with the foliage that produces the flowers they pollinate! It can actually have antibiotic properties to it.

I found it was much better in hot tea per @Full Range instructions!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Ok, anyone else see that big deer in @JohnJ's pic?  Bwa ha ha ha!   😂

Some nice shots there @Islander  I did about 80% of my shooting in B&W back in the day.  Sooo much easier to work with in the lab than C-41.  

Lost a SI cover shot the year of the Ohio State - Indiana 2OT hoops win in Cbus because it wasn't in color.  Every big gun on the planet was there including SI and they ALL missed the winner.  Was truly a hoot cause I was the only one to nail it and they couldn't figure out HOW I knew the ball was going where it did.  They ALL thought Jim Jackson was gonna take the final shot.  I just told 'em ya have to listen and stand by what He tells you to do.  That's exactly what I did that day.  Did make 1k from a magazine on it though.  :)

Those aren't my pictures.  I think the ones you're referring to were shot by Invidiosulus, but aI could be wrong.  I was just quoting him in regards to his shot of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Look up the Manuka honey it has to do with the foliage that produces the flowers they pollinate! It can actually have antibiotic properties to it.

I found it was much better in hot tea per @Full Range instructions!

Manuka honey is a New Zealand term

But the tree species that produces Manuka honey Is a native Australian Tea Tree or Leptospermum scoparium 

Yea it’s great in tea with apple cyber vinegar and I have it almost every day 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 11:11 PM, Schu said:

I lived in the Cordova/Germantown area from about 1999 thru 2006'ish...

Ah... I moved in 1980. Used to live in Midtown, just a few blocks from the zoo. At the time it was a nice quiet neighborhood.  I worked at WHBQ, when it was still an ABC affiliate.

I liked it then and never felt unsafe. Lots of nice small music bars to visit (or play at). Beale St was still termite filled empty buildings, other than Schwab's Dept. Store.

I know that area very well... I spent a lot of my time at the botanical gardens and art museum. I never felt inordinately unsafe either... but I didn't go out at night.

12 hours ago, Schu said:

I know that area very well... I spent a lot of my time at the botanical gardens and art museum. I never felt inordinately unsafe either... but I didn't go out at night.

We were just one block north of North Parkway, about straight up from the zoo, and a couple blocks west of Southwestern at Memphis now Rhodes College). My late wife attended school there. Overton Park was great, and citizens managed to keep I-40  from going straight through town.