Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

What pictures vaguely capture is the scale of what is in those pictures. It's there, but now the same as seeing it in person.

Absolutely true, Bruce. I used to apply that analogy to records and cds in place of real music. Photos and recordings suffer the same "unreality".

One of the reasons that I didn't do lots of classic landscape photography is exactly that it doesn't impress like "being there." So, starting 20 years ago or so photogs just decided to keep making BIGGER prints. Now, you go to a photo exhibit and pictures are on 4' x 8' paper as if enlarging it will make it real. Doesn't work for me, but maybe for some. When I was doing lots of exhibits, I rebelled by showing some photos as small as 6" x 6".

OTOH, if you can produce a photo that isn't cliche, it will attract interest as "something not seen before." Or being seen in a new way.

• Like 3

@RealMarkDeneen That banner if true would be so nice, and good for all us "little people at home"!

Clothes on those three could be from the 70s up until now, stroller more like 80's to now.

We all know the years that there wasn't a freakin war are scant in the last five decades!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@RealMarkDeneen That banner if true would be so nice, and good for all us "little people at home"!

Clothes on those three could be from the 70s up until now, stroller more like 80's to now.

We all know the years that there wasn't a freakin war are scant in the last five decades!

You're very perceptive. That pic was taken on October 31, 2008 in Eureka, Ca. Humboldt county has always had a large contingent of what I might loosely call hippies and such clothes as you mention there were pretty common. Not a lot of "suits and ties" in Humboldt!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh Heck!

Thanks for the compliment Mark!

Seems easy to me since I was alive and awake for most of those years. That red haired gal looks like a few of my friends back then and a toddler in blue jeans? Love it, since I "retired" it's jeans, T-shirts and boots all day, every day.

Suits🤣 I'd have to lose twenty lbs to wear one of mine now.

BTW that tbird pic... the chrome bumper, the patina on the trunk, the big round taillight complete with fin... that's a prize winner there. To me at least!

Tie Dyed & Bell Bottoms all over South Blvd meant the Dead were in town for a couple shows when I was little! And the Coliseum was on the other side of town!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JohnJ said:

If you look closely you can see it’s a reference to the John and Yoko banner.IMG_0554.thumb.jpeg.43e16ff0e655fa60e3e26fc632845081.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg.5b7abe2c92d37373821388c2ed17486a.jpeg

• Like 3

Heard that song a few times, and without a "The" in front of it... does seem that's what it is mentioning.

Too young to be a hippie, but been anti-war, anti-wasteful forever.

Last forty years been over aware of those spend our tax money overseas f'n warmongers in dc. Even worse now!

Need some new acceptable "hip" artists to pick up what artists did in the 60s to change perceptions... maybe save our country!

• Like 2