Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

34 minutes ago, rplace said:

Seems like it at times. 14-18 grams for a double shot, grinding just right for a 20-30 second pull then it changing every day or two as the beans age. Just when you get it right you run out of beans. I dump down the sink about 1/3 of what comes out of the machine. Too fast, too slow too thin, too thick. Almost as madding as which pressing of an LP by what guy that mastered it on a system that has the proper bias and tubes...oh wait THE CABLES!

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/learn/coffee-101/how-to-guides/pull-a-perfect-shot

If you measure your tamp pressure and time your draw you can get really consistent results.  I do 30 lbs tamp and 25 seconds every time then adjust your grind to get exactly 1 or 2 oz (depending on basket).

• Like 2

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:
42 minutes ago, dtel said:

Catch on, don't fool yourself, they invented the game. 

We need to change that, she needs to sign up. :P

you want everyone to be in your shoes...

not only she's a member she is also

a moderator...

I just take my coffee in  moderation ..

I don't need anymore help....lol..

And she is the only person I ever gave a warning point to :huh:

Yes she should sign up and your LF also, don't be scared, just say what you want.....................and hope they don't read it, or just deal with it. :lol: 

On the good side, my wife was like most, "why do you need new speakers yours work just fine". 

When I would read here I would tell her funny things people would say and do and more and more she would ask "who said that". She got to know some of the personalities and would ask what's goin on. One day I go to read here and see she signed up. :mellow:

I first thought it was not a good thing, but the more she read here the more she got into this stuff. She always like the music but no interest in how it's reproduced, she was the one to pick out our last and biggest speakers after hearing them for 2 minutes. The other day I couldn't get the BR player to connect to stream pandora, after a few tries she says, it's broke why don't you just get a new one ? :)

It was not like this before, plus she knows I will keep things until there is no chance of it working and have no choice.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, babadono said:

And now for something completely different. All this talk of drug dealers and mixing up the perfect batch of....er.... ah....coffee made my think of Steely Dan's Ode to Kid Charlemagne

Always did like Steely Dan, and one of the bands I never got to see live. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you measure your tamp pressure and time your draw you can get really consistent results.  I do 30 lbs tamp and 25 seconds every time then adjust your grind to get exactly 1 or 2 oz (depending on basket).

I've got a calibrated tamper that you can feel click at 30 pounds and a pretty decent grinder so everything should be consistent but I'll get a 15 second shot, make the grid one setting finer and get no flow multiple times a week. I actually think it might be the pressure on the machine. Can't really explain it but when you start the shot and just before the coffee flows you can hear a change in the machine noise...all I can think is pressure building up....about 6 months ago that noise changed and now my shots are not consistent.

• Like 1

Just now, rplace said:

I've got a calibrated tamper that you can feel click at 30 pounds and a pretty decent grinder so everything should be consistent but I'll get a 15 second shot, make the grid onr setting finer and get no flow multiple times a week. I actually think it might be the pressure on the machine. Can't really explain it but when you start the shot and just before the coffee flows you can hear a change in the machine noise...all I can think is pressure building up....about 6 months ago that noise changed and now my shots are not consistent.

Do you have external gauges?

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

And she is the only person I ever gave a warning point to :huh:

Yes she should sign up and your LF also, don't be scared, just say what you want.....................and hope they don't read it, or just deal with it. :lol: 

On the good side, my wife was like most, "why do you need new speakers yours work just fine". 

When I would read here I would tell her funny things people would say and do and more and more she would ask "who said that". She got to know some of the personalities and would ask what's goin on. One day I go to read here and see she signed up. :mellow:

I first thought it was not a good thing, but the more she read here the more she got into this stuff. She always like the music but no interest in how it's reproduced, she was the one to pick out our last and biggest speakers after hearing them for 2 minutes. The other day I couldn't get the BR player to connect to stream pandora, after a few tries she says, it's broke why don't you just get a new one ? :)

It was not like this before, plus she knows I will keep things until there is no chance of it working and have no choice.  

Even though I've never met her, she seems like a very nice person, you are a lucky guy.

My wife is ok with this stuff, all she ever says is when we're watching a movie....turn the big speakers on, and they're pretty!

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

What's happening there Chuck? Did the wind do that, or the weight of the frost, or are they sleeping?

That's what I was thinking, I hate to see a tree fall, plus it's a mess to clean up, the small branches are the worst part of cleaning up. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Do you have external gauges?

59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you're getting a 15 second shot you should make the grind coarser, not finer, till you get a 25 second shot.

No external gauge, it is a Gaggia Classic....not super high end but not terrible either. As for the grind I want it finer so it takes longer, no? I don't want a 15 second shot I want closer to 30.

1. Grind Size

Imagine two pipes. One is full of rocks, the other is full of sand. Now imagine pumping water through the pipes. The rocks will obviously allow water through much more quickly than the sand.

This effect is the same with grind size and espresso. The finer/smaller your grind size, the slower the flow will be. The larger/coarser your grind size, the faster the flow will be.

This adjustment can be done with almost every coffee grinder, giving you the freedom to choose the time that it takes to achieve your target yield.

2 minutes ago, rplace said:

No external gauge, it is a Gaggia Classic....not super high end but not terrible either. As for the grind I want it finer so it takes longer, no? I don't want a 15 second shot I want closer to 30.

Sorry, brain fart, you are correct.

Just now, rplace said:

@CECAA850 What is really crazy is with almost certainty I have the same tamp or very darn close. My Baratza Vario has very fine control. How can I get super fast flow then nothing with I'm weighing out the beans to the tenth of a gram? 

I've never weighed anything.  I normally fill the portafilter basket overfull then level it off with the back of a butter knife.

If you're having that type of problem then there's an issue with the machine not giving consistent pressure, that's why I asked about gauges.

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

pipes. One is full of rocks,

crack ? pumping water through the pipes bong ?

much more quickly This super high effect adjustment can be done with almost every pipe 

this is what I got out of this ?  think

that I might need glasses...

I'm glad we're talking about coffee..

Yea with no gauges I can't really tell...but I'm pretty sure that is the only variable. And with the change in noise the machine now makes due to how it always sounded I think it is pressure related or at a minimum something else with the machine. Not the tamp/dose/grind.

1 minute ago, rplace said:

Yea with no gauges I can't really tell...but I'm pretty sure that is the only variable. And with the change in noise the machine now makes due to how it always sounded I think it is pressure related or at a minimum something else with the machine. Not the tamp/dose/grind.

Unless your burrs are loose or worn and your getting inconsistent grinds I would think it was the machine as well.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Unless your burrs are loose or worn and your getting inconsistent grinds I would think it was the machine as well.

Reasonable thought given that I neglected to mention at other times I'll make 6-8 very consistent shots over a 2-day period. When that happens the machine sounds like it used to sound. I don't really know the internals but I know there is a pump and some pressure at the core of every espresso machine. I've not found similar mention of that problem with my machine searching on-line.

• Like 1