Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

A friend from high school has a retirement hobby business called Reset Bike Shop in Portage, MI.  He just Reset my wife’s ‘73 Schwinn Suburban, with which she’ll be surprised in a little more than 2 weeks.  Jeff Reset my ‘74 Legnano a few years ago.  Now we have his and hers Resets.

The American made Schwinn was $98 in ‘73; the Italian job was slightly more than 4 times that in ‘74.  They're both worth more today.  The bikes and spouses are original owners.

01EF8465-1B62-4BF4-AC4F-5C8B746A6F20.jpeg

D3F4D661-03C8-482E-932D-1FECAD1982B6.jpeg

schwinn $544. adjusted for inflation

Italian job $2177 adjusted for inflation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one I never use.  It's too heavy and not as maneuverable, all bogged down with some kind of drive mechanism that old people don't have to push it.  So far it is just a back up.  Honda mower that is, not a bicycle.

On that note, I would give all of my bicycle business to my son, he is a pro whiz for that.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have one I never use.  It's too heavy and not as maneuverable, all bogged down with some kind of drive mechanism that old people don't have to push it.  So far it is just a back up.  Honda mower that is, not a bicycle.

On that note, I would give all of my bicycle business to my son, he is a pro whiz for that.

Your son works on bicycles......isn't he in his late 60s?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Your son works on bicycles......isn't he in his late 60s?

Your point is?   My friend with the bike restoration biz, retired from Upjohn, is in his late 60s.

OBTW, Chuck, how about that Spartans Tarheels game?  The Heels were way off their game.  They're much better than that.  They could meet again.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, billybob said:

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you , and everyone here. 

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What’s that white stuff Elden, cottonwood seeds?

Not sure what it is but it's cold. :unsure:

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That looks like a very nice Christmas card.....cool pic Elden.

Thanks but VERY rare around here.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

He seems to stay as busy as he wants to.

Nice hobby, good bikes are not cheap anymore, well worth restoring them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Your point is?   My friend with the bike restoration biz, retired from Upjohn, is in his late 60s.

OBTW, Chuck, how about that Spartans Tarheels game?  The Heels were way off their game.  They're much better than that.  They could meet again.

Oh does Carolina have a football team?  I only watch basketball:mellow:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Honda makes a hell of a lawn mower motor though.  I'll give them that.

Only used one helping my old aunt cut her grass, it almost killed me. It was self propelled,  low was really slow, and high was a slow jog, kicked my butt on high, like cardio.

• Like 1

Careful Chuck, @Tarheel, those Porschephiles can be a sensitive lot.

When I was at the Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Subaru store — we wore out receptionists.  By the time they spit out all of that, they were too tired to speak to the customers — we would try to explain to customers that many VW Parts were EXACT replacements for Porsche labeled Parts, and much less expensive.  But NO,  no stinkin’ VW parts we’re going to bastardize their Teutonic wunderwagens.

I admit that 911s and their derivatives are amazing well engineered vehicles, although I prefer mid-engined Boxters, etc.

Putting the engine behind the rear axel is an inherently poor design for excellent handling.  Can you say Beetle, Corvair and DeLorean?  That said, Porsche engineers did an amazing job of overcoming that design flaw to make a car that could handle and not snap around unexpectedly.  Porsche 911s are the best handling rear engined sports cars.

Lotus did a similar thing with the final iteration of the Elan.  It’s a handsome enough car, but making the best handling front wheel drive sports car, like the best handling rear engined sports car, is like bragging about being the world’s tallest dwarf.

Don’t get me started about the Isuzu lump sitting transversely over the front wheels.

4CDB77CA-EE64-40E3-BD5B-4F488C8DE4FA.jpeg

• Like 2