Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:
1 hour ago, dtel said:

You know why they drink other things at the same time with Guinness, because it taste so bad.

Now it is confirmed you have no Irish.

I had a good drunk going one time and grabbed a Guinness Extra Stout out of the barrel and enjoyed it.  That's about the only way it could have been enjoyed. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

She was pissed. I then learned that the flowers must be delivered to her at work so she can show off in front of the other ladies. 

If your going to do it that does make them feel special, I couldn't do that anyway we worked together, giving other people flowers.

When the kids were teens they wanted me to get roses for her for something, instead I got her rose bushes, it kind of worked.

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
1 hour ago, dtel said:

None at all, I don't even like the whisky.

No problem.  None of us get to choose.  You are probably cajun thtough and through---good enough for me.

Your scaring me now :ph34r:

I'm full of something

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

i tried to get her a bowling ball once ... 16 pounder, too heavy for her so i would have to use it.  I tried to convince her that reactive resin was the appropriate fourth anniversary gift.  Not sure how she lasted 25 years before dumping me.

You were married 25 years. :huh:

If she was a pain maby you should have given her radioactive resin instead of reactive, just a few letters different, she wouldn't have noticed.  :o Good idea with the bowling ball and cloth flowers, just being practical.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

As long as we're confessing, I used to raise hibiscus.  They are easy to grow and have the most beautiful and vivid colors.

Nothing wrong with that, not even a confession really. Growing plants in a container or garden is a great hobby and very rewarding.

I love my garden and containers, been playing with plants since I was a little kid growing a vegetable garden with my dad. The only thing is I am getting away from plants that have to be protected in winter except a few I like which are perennial.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

actually 26 or 27 by the time we got around to getting divorced.  I think some would argue that she should have been given a medal for putting up with me for that long. I mean,   she didn’t get the totally crazy me, i’d settled down quite a bit; but, still I wasn’t the quiet, respectful, responsible man that you all have come to know and love. 

Are you saying you are BigStewMan formerly known as Richard Cranium?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Nothing wrong with that, not even a confession really. Growing plants in a container or garden is a great hobby and very rewarding.

I love my garden and containers, been playing with plants since I was a little kid growing a vegetable garden with my dad. The only thing is I am getting away from plants that have to be protected in winter except a few I like which are perennial.

I had a bunch of potted hibiscus, paradise lilies, philodendron, etc., which people started referring to as "Jeff's Jungle."  Then, one day, I moved to another place and left them out in the sun while I went to Houston for a week.  What was I thinking?  That was the end, and I never got back into it again after that.  Those flowers are just so cool to see blooming slowly over a handful of days.  The bumblebees and hummingbirds all buzzing around really accent the whole set-up.  Tree frogs, lizards, etc.  It's just cool how you can start small habitats like that.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

actually 26 or 27 by the time we got around to getting divorced.  I think some would argue that she should have been given a medal for putting up with me for that long. I mean,   she didn’t get the totally crazy me, i’d settled down quite a bit; but, still I wasn’t the quiet, respectful, responsible man that you all have come to know and love. 

I'm impressed I didn't think it was that long, you did better than many. I know about the settling down thing, if I didn't get married at the rate I was going I would probably be dead long ago.

40 years in Nov, like the song says, " I can't complain but sometimes I still do". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

geez, i’m supposed to be the hippie; but, you all seem to be the flower children. I’m the oddball here ... you guys cook and grow stuff. 

i’m going to blame it on my upbringing. before my parents were killed and i got sent away to live elsewhere, i was being raised by the Portuguese side of my family.  My grandparents were both born and raised in the Azore Islands and came to America when they were adults. My grandmother was VERY old country in her ways. When i was 21 i moved back the San Francisco Bay Area  and I was at my grandmother’s house. I was trying to cook some chicken. She came into the kitchen with her purse, shoving money at me while telling me to go by myself a dress. You see, in that culture, men didn’t cook or clean. I was woke up to a cup of coffee, which i would drink in bed while watching television, while my breakfast was being made. Then while i was eating breakfast, my grandmother would go make my bed. then I disappear until lunch. It was a good life ... then i got adopted into an “american” family. Total culture shock when i said i was going outside to play and was asked if i had cleaned my room yet. I asked, “why would i clean my room when i live in a house with four girls?”  Well, that statement didn’t over very well and i knew then that my life had changed forever. 

Interesting story, but... how did you get adopted at the age of 21?  

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Well, that statement didn’t over very well and i knew then that my life had changed forever. 

In some cultures sure, here not so much, or never.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

poor wording on my part ... you have to read my posts like i write them ... in flashbacks.  She told me to buy myself a dress when i was 21, the rest of the story was when i was a kid. My folks both died when i was eight. 

you should have seen the line of people wanting to adopt me ... okay, not even i can pull off a lie like that. 

Oh, I see.  Which do you think would be better in the long-haul?  Grandma spoiling the boy?  Or the new parents making him deal with his own messes?  

I was spoiled, pretty much, so I kind of know what you mean about life changing after you are forced to grow up.

• Like 1