Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Had to open the windows after dark here tonight because I had to season the pan I made my late dinner in. Don't soak them but I do a quick scrub then dry for five in the oven then put some lard on it and back in for ten. Any longer and that stuff will smoke! Still makes the house smell so ceiling fans on windows open for fifteen and that takes care of it!

• Like 3

well

I guess you don't like okra... OK

I'm a pretty hard core mustard person

I will use ketchup on fries once in a while, on the odd fried egg sandwich and on loko mokos. That is one or two scoops of rice, a fried hamburger patty, a couple eggs and brown gravy. Ketchup and hot sauce for it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

can't say I've had pickled okra. I spose if you don't like it, try someone else's brine.  

ya ever eat eggs pickled in the brine from pickled jalapenos?...

Never pickled them myself just bought them done already.

Never liked the idea of pickled eggs, a friends dad raised quail and pickled many, never cared to try them either.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Had to open the windows after dark here tonight because I had to season the pan I made my late dinner in. Don't soak them but I do a quick scrub then dry for five in the oven then put some lard on it and back in for ten. Any longer and that stuff will smoke! Still makes the house smell so ceiling fans on windows open for fifteen and that takes care of it!

Have done that a few times before. I usually after washing (no soap) I put on a burner to dry but not heat to smoking, after it's dry I heat more wipe with saved bacon grease or vegetable oil and heat till it just starts to smoke a little and turn it off. Heating a little more until the grease kind of dries up, if you don't get it cooked on enough it stays sticky. Even when I make a small amount of smoke it still has that smell like you did.

I use cast iron for almost everything, collected 9 different pots so far, all sizes and shapes, I love them.

Cooked fried chicken strips tonight in a dutch oven style pot, I hate to fry anything really it makes such a mess. The whole stove top is oily now and don't feel like messing with it tonight. Cut some boneless chicken for it, now besides the stove mess the counter needs to have the flour scrubbed off of it, and I tried to be careful. And the house smells like something was fried, which is not as good after you eat.

• Like 3

@dtel

Yes sometimes just hot water and the pad will do... I sniff it before putting in the oven to dry and if it smells like what was cooked in it I just do the whole process. Not sticky yet, the old one sure is though. I'll make something different to not use them if it is 90% humidity or that plus 95 outside. Cooking with gas because it used to be one fifth the cost of electricity not even copper works as well as cast iron. Copper is $$$ and needs even more maintenance!

And cornbread which I mentioned here recently... now got to have it again, has never been cooked in anything but that skillet here. Just for funsies... no cornbread does not have sugar in it! Think it will have a touch of sharp cheddar and ripe j a p s in it tonight. Have to switch from the leftover beef and shrooms to something more compatible tomorrow.

• Like 3

that is getting close to what I know as Mexican corn bread...  Folks will throw creamed corn in it ... sometimes

Knew there was something missing

music. Mo' bettah now

A little boogie woogie for breakfast...

How's everyone this AM?

I'm doing OK. Knee is still a little iffy. OK for walking. No lateral movement, yet.It tells me every time I try.

Coaxing some seeds to sprout. They don't like to sprout when it's 100` in the shade .... and they are in the sun, where it's closer to 140`

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

that is getting close to what I know as Mexican corn bread...  Folks will throw creamed corn in it ... sometimes

Knew there was something missing

music. Mo' bettah now

A little boogie woogie for breakfast...

How's everyone this AM?

I'm doing OK. Knee is still a little iffy. OK for walking. No lateral movement, yet.It tells me every time I try.

Coaxing some seeds to sprout. They don't like to sprout when it's 100` in the shade .... and they are in the sun, where it's closer to 140`

Good Morning to you too!

When it's just a little of that it's close to plain cornbread.

Sweet yucky creamed corn in it? No way Jose!

Lodge used to have thousands of recipes at their website a decade ago. I've put taco ingredients in it and it is very good as a meal. Reminds me of a tamale with the flavor. If it doesn't have buttermilk, yellow corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & something instead of what shortening was it's not cornbread to me.

My left ankle hurts this morning just like yesterday.. hope it's not a hereditary issue can't afford any more doctors had enough for two lifetimes already.

Boogie on, sounds like a great way to start the day!

• Like 2

Alrighty then, that's why there are choices.

I grew a variety that had yellow and white kernels on it and it was just as you could imagine and so sweet it didn't take much butter.

Nothing has killed the darn fire ants except gasoline and that destroys the soil also so I can't use that. Tried everything from instant grits bought especially for them to vinegar, boiling water on the queens nest (usually a smaller mound they're smart like that) there was something in the 90s that worked in FL then one letter was changed in the name and ever since it's like roundup. BS

• Like 2

are you speaking of amdro?  we can get it here. I use it our Harvester ants.  There are fire ants down in the valley. Never seen any at this elevation. They seem to like the lower desert.

I think I've grown a similar variety of corn. I went into reverse looking for corn. Found Cocopah. An heirloom from around Yuma. The indigenous folks grow it. Not that super sweet stuff. It tastes like corn, not sugar. It seems to be more digestable, too. You get colored ears. Red, white and blue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Alrighty then, that's why there are choices.

I grew a variety that had yellow and white kernels on it and it was just as you could imagine and so sweet it didn't take much butter.

Nothing has killed the darn fire ants except gasoline and that destroys the soil also so I can't use that. Tried everything from instant grits bought especially for them to vinegar, boiling water on the queens nest (usually a smaller mound they're smart like that) there was something in the 90s that worked in FL then one letter was changed in the name and ever since it's like roundup. BS

John -----

Roundup will contaminate the soil and even contaminate what you eat , these chemicals that go back into the food chain and cause cancer --

I use 2 methods ----for small surfaces

1)-I burn the soil  prior to planting by putting dry wood/hay  over the planting area , and I let it burn hot  for 1/2 an hour -------I  then mix the soil , repeat everytime you have bare soil  prior to planting  -

if that don't work  ----

2)- -https://www.gardenstylesanantonio.com/garden-tips-blog/how-to-get-rid-of-fire-ants-in-your-plants/

1 gallon water

• 3 ounces blue Dawn® dish soap (Why blue Dawn®? Research showed it worked better than other brands and colors.)
  • 1.5 ounces orange oil (Be sure to use the correct measure — orange oil at a 3-ounce-per-gallon rate is used as a natural herbicide and will burn plants.)
  • Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RANDYH said:

1)-I burn the soil  prior to planting by putting dry wood/hay  over the planting area , and I let it burn hot  for 1/2 an hour -------I  then mix the soil , repeat everytime you have bare soil  prior to planting  -

Same idea, I have seen people with small areas in hot climates cover it with black visqueen  for  a week, the sun heats it to the point of sterilizing seeds. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Yes sometimes just hot water and the pad will do...

Yes i usually use one of those green scrubby pads with no soap, on the rare case of something is really stuck on I have one of the SS mesh scrubbers and it works great, just don't use to much pressure. 

Every once in a while I do coat all sides in oil and bake in the over with a few pans at a time and bake them for a good while increasing the heat as I go. But like you said it's best to do when you can open some windows and a door because it smokes a little but smells like it's smoking alot.

It's a little extra work but to me the cast iron is easier to cook on and clean plus a more even heat.

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Cooking with gas because it used to be one fifth the cost of electricity not even copper works as well as cast iron.

Electric here, I would rather gas but 25 years ago when we built this I was not doing the cooking and my wife said she wanted a glass top electric as it was easier to clean.

So it has been replaced since but with a similar model, I do have to be a little careful setting heavy cast iron pans on it but it is much tougher than I would have expected. If it does break I might look into how much trouble it would be to get a gas line to where it is but them i would need a propane tank with no natural gas here. The new gas stoves are designed to be much easier to clean then the old type as far as how parts come off to clean. 

th (1).jpg

• Like 3

We have a choice of electric or propane. I took electric.

No crazy about having an all electric house. We suffer outages. Not days --- any more. An hour or three. We do have the bbq and woodstove. The stove will do, but is hard to get at. We are using it like an insert. We can get to the stovetop... just takes a few gymnastic manuevers

• Like 1

@grasshopper

You were right, since i had everything here I used my favorite quesadilla ingredients in it.

Bacon, onion, jalapenos and cheddar... it did clear my sinus cavity!

IMG-20200516-181055.jpg

IMG-20200516-185830.jpg

Didn't take to butter on it like the regular stuff but the salsa works great all I lacked was the sour cream... that would have been great!

Bacon grease makes the edges get real crispy too.

Yes I know but my cholesterol is always low and I'll get some grapefruit juice tomorrow to lower it some more!

@dtel

This peachy clean scrubber at amazon... they are silicone and last for years and work well with mine, they won't hold soap but when I don't use it it doesn't matter.

Like that piece of mail you have there!

• Like 4