Pre Amp Tuner on the cheap

Pete H

I need to pick up another pre amp for an additional set up but I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred and if it's less, that's great. This is going out in the shop and I'm bringing the Carver CT7 inside for some reconditioning so this is for listening while working, nothing critical but a good tuner section is most important for this application. I'm just looking to give a listen to something different. Any suggestions?

I need to pick up another pre amp for an additional set up but I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred and if it's less, that's great. This is going out in the shop and I'm bringing the Carver CT7 inside for some reconditioning so this is for listening while working, nothing critical but a good tuner section is most important for this application. I'm just looking to give a listen to something different. Any suggestions?

Do you need volume control? Does it need to be stereo? What about phono stage?

I need volume control. It needs to be stereo but doesn't have to have a phono stage.

I need volume control. It needs to be stereo but doesn't have to have a phono stage.

Vintage is different. How about something in tubes? You can get in for under $200, but that doesn't mean you won't end up spending that or more having a technician checking it out and making repairs/adjustments.

I bought this a while back for $185 including shipping. It does not have a volume control, but it does have a preamp. It cleaned up and I threw a couple pre tubes in and have been using it for weeks. So far so good...

$_57.JPG

The brass cleaned up to like new, and I put all new foam around the glass and cleaned it up. Like new!

Vintage is different. How about something in tubes?

I need something else to work on like I need a third eye. LOL, I have a great looking console that I purchased about 2 years ago that I have yet to pull apart and dive into that big black whole (tubes) so this needs to be a simple plug and play for the shop while I'm building cabinets and trying to finish all the other items on the list. I appreciate the input.

I've got a B&K Reference 50 w/ remote and probably the original manual if I can find it. It really does an excellent job in a 2 channel set up. I hate to part with it simply because I paid $2,500 for it brand new and I know that no matter how mint it is it's not worth even close to 1/5 of that....anyway I'll sell it for $300 plus shipping.

There was a Forte for sale here. I have heard very good things about them. It is a Nelson Pass design I think.

I have a Forte 3, I love that amp, yes Mr. Pass had a big hand in it. It runs class A to like 15w (from my dim memory when I looked at the specs years ago when I bought it) then switches to AB, very clear and musical. I have it drivng a set of Quartetes in the HT, it never gets out of class A.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith
  • Like 1