Ultimate All Horn System derived from 2 Channels!

ClaudeJ1

When it comes to QUALITY of sound per DOLLAR, there isn't a speaker in the world that can touch KLIPSCH anything in the modern or Heritage line.

If we took this $18,000 and called the Klipsch PRO dealers, we would get an MCM 4-way system with brand new twin horn subs that would absolutely TROUNCE any of these 100's of overpriced Mickey Mouse distortion boxes that would fall apart the minute that any kind of sound emulating REAL LIVE MUSIC, like the DYNAMICS of a REAL DRUM SET.

My own setup is as "miniature" of a setup than CAN reproduce the sound of live drums, which are THE most challenging crest factor/dynamics/transients, you name it.

When his system made the cover of Audio Magazine as the "ultimate" with 46 db Watts (that's 40,000 Watts) of power on horns, I remember, the analog genius, Richard Burwen, saying that peak sound output from ACOUSTIC drums can reach 140 decibels. That is MY refererence and the Chesky Test Recording of Drums is my best Single Cut DEMO CD.

Burwen designed an all-horn system to handle LIVE DRUMS, which he had setup/measured in the sound room for comparison, and everything else goes down from there. There were NO DIRECT RADIATOR speakers involved. Even the twin 30" subwoofer drivers were loaded by the giant conical horns. So if we take a system like this as the ultimate, all these little boxes that the magazine reviewers wax poetic about (like $10,000 2-way nearfield monitors, oh, puhlease!) are all expensive crap in comparison. It's also the reason why they always put the drummer in the BACK of the band, sometimes behind plexiglas, in smaller venues.

http://www.burwenaud...und_System.html

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Might be something interesting here.
Although visually striking, his elaborate horn arrangement has me doubtful.

I'd still gander a listen if I was ever in the area, but I'm not about to drop $500 for what appears to be a glorified VST plug-in of sorts.

I may take the plunge on the following. Its only $110 If not satisfied they say they will refund.

BURWEN BOBCAT TR (True) digital signal processor software adds unique

high frequency reverberation that makes recordings smooth and musical. It plugs

into the Windows Media PLayer and offers 2-channel PURE BOBCAT and

SMOOTH BOBCAT processing buttons plus BYPASS. Use it for listening,

ripping, or burning. Batch convert music files to Bobcat processed MP3s for

your mobile player or WMA lossless.

That's an impressive setup. I sure would like to hear it - I wonder where this guy lives?

Back in 1980, I was part of an Engineering group working on advanced hard drive technology. One of the guys on the team designed his own direct drive tube amps for his home made electrostatic speakers.......he was a Mechanical Engineer, and his speakers were the only "stats" that I heard play loud enough. He was from the East Coast and a good friend of Richard Burwen, so I'm assuming East Coast here.

He heard the Burwen system and said it would part your hair if operated anywhere near full output on Chamber Music, which I thought was hilarious. He said Burwen was an Electronics Genius and designed a lot of non-audio stuff as a contract engineer. Audio and Photography are his hobbies, as are mine. I may be competent but I am far from a Genius. LOL.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

If you want a good drum album, check out Sheffield Labs Drum Track

Heres a link to mine although amazon seems to have a few versions available including a 6.00 download

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Drum-Track-Disc-Master/dp/B003JG93DC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394397434&sr=8-3&keywords=sheffield+labs+drum

5.94 gets you the mp3 download at 256Kbps

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Record-Newton-Howard-Buchanan/dp/B0014NGMDG/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_mus?ie=UTF8&qid=1394398160&sr=8-1&keywords=sheffield+labs+drum

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1

I have both the chesky and the sheffield, Both excellent drum track albums, I can throw another at you for impact its the best I have ever heard (it does have a low level hiss in the recording)

Its track 20

this one is a little tough to find, Chesky has a few albums / test discs that have good Drum tracks

Edited by joessportster

I remember reading about that system in the 1976 article. I also seem remember that it was said to cost $100,000 at that time, but it did sound amazingly good.

Perhaps the closest modern approximation would be the MAGICO Ultimate installed in the room with the stepped walls and ceilings that was shown in an early article about it.