Volti Audio upgrades

The past few months I have been upgrading my Khorns with Gregs products and wanted to share some thoughts on them. First off Greg is a down to earth guy who will spend time answering emails and talking on the phone to answer questions and share thoughts. Each Piece I have purchased from him to date is very well crafted and thought out.

The V-tracs are very solidly built to begin with and fit was perfect into my K-horns. I actually hate to have these covered up by the grill cloth but even that was stretched and stapled to perfection. I bought the 120 adaptors for my stock k-55's to use on these as well. Those are also made well and mounted nicely onto the horns with everything lining up perfectly. The interesting process that Greg describes when making the adaptors seems to have worked in my opinion. I have had great results with this set up and I probably would not ever really need to buy a 2" exit driver. Of course I plan on doing that just the same cause I am so into knowing what the next thing will bring. The idea that you can do these upgrades in several steps and each time get that thrill and likely reward for going to the next tier is fun. Gregs offerings support this notion very well.

When I recieved the VTK crossovers and opened them up I was floored by how they looked. Robust, clean looking and again well crafted pieces for sure. I dont know if I can ever bury them under the top hats or not, I have been very happy with the sound of these networks, and the amount of flexibility they provide while maintaining a simple aproach is noteworthy in my opinion.

Volti keeps an inventory of everything they sell in my experience and I recieved my order in a couple of days each time. Not having to wait is a plus for an impatient fella like myself. Everything was expertly packaged as well. Overall a great experience dealing with Greg and I feel I have a friend I can sometimes turn to for advice and opinions as well. These upgrades are all improvments, sound fantastic and are worth every penny I have spent.

These are just my opinions an the Volti products and I would not like to see this turn into a who built what first debate as I have seen here before. I wanted to share my experience to help anyone with thoughts of upgrading and to explain a little the road I am going down. I dont see much value in a proprietary debate with things that have been around in one form or another for many many years. Horns, crossovers and speakers have been around for a very long time after all. Its about takin it to the next level I would say, healthy competition makes us all better.

just gotta sell off some used parts now....

Edited by vindeville
  • Like 2

I have made the complete upgrade including all the drivers too. It is incredible. I liked my horns before too, but they were edgy and a little fatiguing, the imaging was always incredible though. Now, the mids and top end are very very good too! I am a musician (as a hobby now) and I used to play a lot. I played drums and am very sensitive to drums sounds to be as real as they can be. Now thats a hard task. The drums with the bass drum starts down below and travels very high in the sound spectrum with the cymbals. The snares are also very hard to reproduce realistically. My problem before volti upgrade was hearing snares as if from a plastic tube. They had that kind of an unnatural coloring to them. The cymbals kind a distorted too, and the decays of sounds were not realistic enough for me. It has all been solved! This is quite enough for me. Also having a good matching system is very important. I am a vinyl guy with thousands of records. The most I enjoy after my upgrade is Musicmatters 45 rpm blue note reissues! Thanks to incredible musicians and Rudy Van Gelder, I am in the studio with these guys every night :)

I have been travelling around and listening to a lot of systems in my friends places or around shops, and I am very happy that my system is on par or better than 10k+ systems :)

ps. I also have now a pair of spare klipschorn parts which I am planning to build a cornscala with!

• Like 1

I can post pics but I think you might just as well visit the Volti upgrades and restoration site. He has many pictures and explanations of his products there.

I think we've all been to Greg's site. I think he (as we all) like to enjoy your process vicariously through what you are experiencing hence, the pictures comment.

Some pics of my Khorns and Volti crossovers. I have them on top for tuning, probably moving them under top hat this afternoon and I'll take a pic or two of drivers then and share. Using PRV D290Py tweeters in these cut back 6db with l-pads using Mills resistors I bought from Parts Express. These tweeters sound excellent in my opinion but I will still likely try the Beymas soon.I have B&C dcm 50 midrange drivers installed( Thanks Greg) on 0-2 tap. These things are really sounding fantastic right now. I'll be selling some stock parts soon...motor boards( nice shape w/o badges), k-55's, k-77's and Voltis 2" 120 adaptors, as well as stock AA crossovers.

When I bought these they had some edges that were a bit rough so I just bound the cabinets with oak veneer. I did not want to lose the original veneer. I added the oak Piece on the bottom as well. These have the Crites cast woofers in them also. That was a bigger improvement than I expected. The bass is a bit deeper with more output and smoother upper bass. I have made new whips with gold forks like whats on the midrange taps in the pics for each driver once I put the crossovers under the top hats.

I built the wall thats lighter color in the pics to have a good corner on the right side. Used solid construction with insulation inside. My room works out great for these and Imaging is nice. One thing I have noticed with these about 17-18' apart and sitting 12-13' back are stereo effects. I cant believe the information I have been missing all these years by having my speakers closer together. With this set up the soundstage is awesome and stereo effects come torough beautifully while not being locked in to a tiny spot for good center image.

post-18834-0-95680000-1394917002_thumb.j

post-18834-0-16600000-1394917038_thumb.j

post-18834-0-69720000-1394917369_thumb.j

post-18834-0-81600000-1394917675_thumb.j

post-18834-0-78400000-1394918787_thumb.j

Edited by vindeville
  • Like 3

Three front Belles with (pre) Volti horns from Greg with BMS drivers and Beyma tweeters using ALK extreme crossovers; I'm happy. Well, I would be if my Onkyp Pr-SC5507 hadn't taken a crappola this week.