Neil Young's Pono

Tarheel

To cut to the chase, it's amazing.  It's everything I hoped for and more.  With more time to experience it, my enthusiasm is likely to grow even further.

The sense of openness is marvelous.  The dynamic range renders the quiet passages easily discernible, with the loud passages powerful and clear.  The best way I can describe it is to compare it to the best of good vinyl without any surface noise.  The silences between cuts are deafening.

By surface noise, I'm not just referring to the unavoidable ticks and pops with vinyl, but the omnipresent surface noise generated by dragging a semi-precious stone across wavy plastic.  Even the most pristine vinyl has surface noise.  High resolution digital files do not.

So far, my time and available musical selections have been limited.  I have compared vinyl, mp3 and high resolution versions of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue and Dave Brubeck's Time Out.  Naturally, the vinyl is better than mp3, but Pono is better than both.  The bass is tighter with the Pono, and there is no acoustic feedback that undermines even the best turntable.  Percussion, as reproduced by the Pono player, pours from my current single driver/tapped horns system with palpable attack and lifelike decay.

If you haven't already visited the HDTracks site (http://www.hdtracks.com/), I highly recommend it.  The free sampler is a generous assortment of music that highlights the digital format.  

The only official Pono music I own at this point is Kind of Blue, Michael Jackson's Billie Jean (single), Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Neil Young's  There's A World (single), the sample included on the Pono player.  After the admittedly limited listening time, it appears to me that the HDTracks (Brubeck and the sampler) sound as good as the music downloaded from the Pono Music Store.

Imaging is superb.  Female vocals from the HDTracks sampler place the vocalist in the 3 dimensional space between the speakers.  I neglected to mention that all of the foregoing listening was done in 2 channel; no center or surrounds.  

Good vinyl is great, but great digital is better.  IMO, excellent recordings of excellent performances sound great despite being on vinyl, not because of it.  Neil Young's Pono player finally delivers what digital has promised for decades.

Nevertheless, many great recordings are only available on vinyl.  I'll still haunt used record shops looking for hidden treasures.  After cleaning them with the Reg Williamson record cleaning system (see https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145942-the-best-way-to-clean-preserve-vinyl/ ) I'll then rip them to FLAC files for use with Pono.  Thank you Neil Young.

post-6832-0-64100000-1418532264_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-96820000-1418532274_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-24860000-1418532285_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-51500000-1418532294_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-19620000-1418532308_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

To cut to the chase, it's amazing.  It's everything I hoped for and more.  

Neil Young's Pono player finally delivers what digital has promised for decades.

Thank you Neil Young.

Wow........nice review.  Glad the wait was worth it and that the PONO sounds so good.

I have a couple of questions.

Why do you thank Neil Young?  Is it for his influence on getting these High Def digital releases that you are using now?  Or, is it for the player itself?  I'm just wondering because as you know there are numerous players with the same and more advanced capabiliities as you know.  I am guessing it's the music......but please let us know.

For instsance.........I have a Benchmark DAC-2 that on paper should sound at least as good as what you are describing.  I don't even know if I have ever even played digital music at the high resolutions you are testing right now.  I probably have not and so have not realized its full capabilities.

Again, I'm getting back to the music resolution as being the true highlight here..........and the PONO being a nice portable version of a capable DAC to let the user realize the full potential.

Let us know your thoughts on this.  Thanks

Mark-

I thank Neil Young for promoting an alternative to compressed digital audio.  While I enjoy some Neil Young music, it's not something I listen to on a regular basis.  The Neil Young demo included with the Pono player is the least impressive high resolution track I own.  It's the last track I'd use to show off Pono to others.

The Pono player, though not inexpensive, is much less costly than similar digital players.  The following YouTube link to a 14 minute review of a Pono player expresses impressions similar to my own.

IMO, portability is not the most important attribute of Pono.  If I want music on the go, whether jogging, riding in a car, etc., the SQ offered by mp3s is more than adequate.  If I'm settling in for relaxed critical 2-channel listening, the Pono player provides SQ that, to me, is unavailable from vinyl, mp3s or streaming.

I thank Neil Young for championing an affordable high resolution digital alternative to compressed digital audio. Apparently, it takes a musician to send a message to the music industry regarding the unacceptable quality of the mass market digital recordings.

• Like 2

One of the clear indicators of a good, sound product (pun intended) is the existence of competition within a short period after introduction. Apple is the innovator of the smart phone (the iPad was designed before the iPhone, but released after deep market penetration on the part of Apple's original iPhone). They no longer have the largest piece of the pie but continue to have faithful followers despite the competitors with more "open" systems.

Methinks something similar will happen with the PONO in terms of battery operated storage and playback of industry standard formats in the digital world. If the DAC is that good, why not use it with a laptop running JRiver with an AC power supply, then unplug it for the road? Just a thought.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

OK, so after all the hype and waiting, would you equate the Pono vs. The HiFi Man Player or the Astrell and Kern player

to the difference between a "Record" and a "Direct to Disc Record"?

Is the Pono that much better { seeing the stereo separation and sound stage was so hyped } re. the above comparison,

OR is it fairly close in Audiophyle Quality and they plan to make their money from "The Pono Music Store"?

One more question. With high impedance cans, like the HD-800s, LCD 2's, etc. is a headphone amp helpful, necessary,

a nice sonic addition or not needed in any way?

Thank You Guys!

John

• Like 1

I thank Neil Young for championing an affordable high resolution digital alternative to compressed digital audio. Apparently, it takes a musician to send a message to the music industry regarding the unacceptable quality of the mass market digital recordings.

............I'm taking this as "it's the music resolution" and not the player, then,  Simply because there are many DACs that can play the same resolutions as PONO.  I"m thinking there is nothing "new" in a PONO player frm an electronics standpoint.  It's simply a portable version of a 24/192 DAC, with a iPod type interface.

I'm not knocking this at all.............I'm just trying to understand.  What I get out of this is that if you play that same high res music on a 24/192 capable home audio DAC that has been in existance for a couple of years now...............you get the same or similar result to PONO.

So bascially, Neil Young has promoted the higher resolutions and provided a place to get that music and even provided a portable player to go with the library.

• Like 1

srvrip, on 14 Dec 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

OK, so after all the hype and waiting, would you equate the Pono vs. The HiFi Man Player or the Astrell and Kern player

to the difference between a "Record" and a "Direct to Disc Record"?

Is the Pono that much better { seeing the stereo separation and sound stage was so hyped } re. the above comparison,

OR is it fairly close in Audiophyle Quality and they plan to make their money from "The Pono Music Store"?

One more question. With high impedance cans, like the HD-800s, LCD 2's, etc. is a headphone amp helpful, necessary,

a nice sonic addition or not needed in any way?

Thank You Guys!

John

John-

I have no experience with the other hardware referenced.  It appears to me that the Pono player is 1/2 to 1/6 the cost.  Whether better, and/or worth the cost difference, is a matter of opinion.  

My only experience with headphones is using Klipsch S4, which sound very good.  It's not my plan to use headphones of any kind with Pono on a regular basis.

Without personal experience, I can't offer opinions other than those stated above.

mark1101, on 15 Dec 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

............I'm taking this as "it's the music resolution" and not the player, then,  Simply because there are many DACs that can play the same resolutions as PONO.  I"m thinking there is nothing "new" in a PONO player frm an electronics standpoint.  It's simply a portable version of a 24/192 DAC, with a iPod type interface.

I'm not knocking this at all.............I'm just trying to understand.  What I get out of this is that if you play that same high res music on a 24/192 capable home audio DAC that has been in existance for a couple of years now...............you get the same or similar result to PONO.

So bascially, Neil Young has promoted the higher resolutions and provided a place to get that music and even provided a portable player to go with the library.

Mark-

In addition to my comments above, I tend to agree with you.

Edited by DizRotus

There are many reviews of the Pono player available after a Google search, and even more opinions. So far, I've yet to read a review by anyone who has actually used a Pono player that did not praise the sound quality. On the other hand, all of the criticism appears to come from those who have not yet held a Pono player in their hands.

Yes, there are other hardware choices capable of playing 192khz/24bit files, and other sources of high resolution music files than the Pono Music Store, but they haven't been able to demand the public attention that Neil Young and his Pono have garnered.

Norah Jones' Come Away With Me in 192/24 is stunning when played from my Pono player through Kilpsch S4s or my 2-channel system.

I'm sure there are negative opinions from individuals who have actually listened to a Pono player, but they wouldn't alter my opinion based on actual ownership and use. The fact that there are other ways to skin the high resolution digital cat doesn't diminish my absolute enjoyment of my Pono player and the excellent sound quality value it represents.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Isn't the Pono really just a Squeezebox Touch that is portable and less versatile ?  

No experience with Squeezebox Touch, i.e., no basis to form an opinion, other than to confirm that Pono is portable.

The Squeezebox Touch is a wireless touch screen + remote DAC that can play/display music located on your computers and devices in your home- all of of your music.  It also can play literally every online radio station in the world using an easy to use display interface.  It has toslink, digital coaxial, SD, and USB inputs along with analog coax outputs to your home stereo system.   I feed mine into Music Hall DACs but it is really unnecessary.   I use my units daily and could not live without them.

I should add that Logitech no longer manufactures these.  I'd also hasten to note that these were $ 200.00 new and now go for more than $ 300.00 used.

post-45985-0-49160000-1418915981_thumb.j

Edited by deep3shot

I'm not quite sure why you would compare the SB touch with the Pono since their functionality is different.  That said, I really like the Touch as well and still can't figure out why it was discontinued.  They still haven't replaced it in the market place from what I've seen.

I'm enjoying the sound of my Pono player more and more, whether played through Klipsch S4s, my 2-channel system or the no-frills sound system in the wife's Ford Edge.  Everything sounds better

But, I must admit the Toblerone tastes better but sounds terrible.

post-6832-0-60780000-1419369845_thumb.jp

• Like 5

I'm enjoying the sound of my Pono player more and more, whether played through Klipsch S4s, my 2-channel system or the no-frills sound system in the wife's Ford Edge.  Everything sounds better

Good one. Does the 2 channel include the mini tapped horns?

Good one. Does the 2 channel include the mini tapped horns?

Yes Claude.  Right now 2 of the 4 are in service.  I'll take advantage of the long holiday weekend to experiment with adding the other two.  In my small space, 2 provide plenty of bass for music and HT, but I'm still eager to see what all 4 will do.

Congrats Diz. Nice review.

I'd wager a Sansa Clip+ playing a FLAC file would give the PONO a good run for the money. The only one-up would be the PONO's ability to digest a files in excess of 16/44.1, the menu structure, battery life, and overall quality of craftsmanship.

Still, the PONO wouldn't be the first player that the Clip and Clip+ have chased around the bush:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html

sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-gallery-0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
xxtpkkwu6xvbcaoxjbx2.png

Don't Buy What Neil Young Is Selling

I wonder why there is so much negativity regarding the improvement of digital music files.  Any ideas about their motivation for publishing these type of articles?

Personally, I think that 192/24 is a bit like jumping over the horse--but 96/24 is definitely an audible improvement in terms of hearing lifelike decays and naturalness in the recordings (but NOT increased stereo imaging and greater dynamics - that comes from the hands of the recording and mixing engineer). 

The problem that I see is the record companies (and consumers, for that matter) who will want their old recordings in "hi-def format".  It doesn't work that way, however.  Upsampling old recordings (even analog recordings made before 1982) doesn't make gold from lead.

:mellow:

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 3