SOLD and picked up: THT Horn Subwoofer in Indy

ClaudeJ1

If you buy the sub don't let Claude audition his other stuff for you ! You will leave with a long wish list !

Dam you Claude :lol:

G man. It's even better now than when you were here. New receiver with updated Audyssey, new bass horns, etc. A lobster bib should protect your shirt when you drool. LOL.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it just so I can hear the new setup !

I'm dying to hear those new bass horn's . I'd like to see how they stack up against the MWM's, If they are even close then talk about an ideal setup.

The MWM's bring a smile to my face every time but they sure take up a lot of real estate and I'm running out of friends to help move them.

If they sound as good as you say those bins with 402's and a couple DTS10's would be the ideal setup.

So I guess you may have the Ideal setup !

Edited by Gnote

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it just so I can hear the new setup !

I'm dying to hear those new bass horn's . I'd like to see how they stack up against the MWM's, If they are even close then talk about an ideal setup.

The MWM's bring a smile to my face every time but they sure take up a lot of real estate and I'm running out of friends to help move them.

If they sound as good as you say those bins with 402's and a couple DTS10's would be the ideal setup.

So I guess you may have the Ideal setup !

Well I had double stacked single MWMs for about 2 years, then down to just one pair. The Quarter Pies are actually better because along with saving 40% of the floor space, they are 1 foot shorter (horn length wise) only give up about 10 Hz. on the bottom, which I don't care about because of the Danleys. In fact, Audyssey AUTOMATICALLY picks a 60 hz. Xover point to the Sub every time, which is ideal for those Danley twins. They are smoother too because they don't have that 55 hz. peak that the MWM has, although that's a built-in "disco thump" that is quite pleasant and easy to get used to. LOL.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

This is an awesome sub at any price, for $395 its a no brainer and will go fast.

Great tool to piss of all your neighbors.

Fortunately, my closest neighbor is deaf, but he says he can still feel it though the double brick walls.

I may be interested but, I can't find any info on the subs extension. I have seen data on the larger one.

The THT is tuned to 22 Hz, as for any sub the response would be room dependent.

The smaller the room the bigger the room gain.

Version 2.1 is basically a sheet of plywood cut in half to 48x48", then an offset radius is used to round the front until it meets the "core" box. It's actually easier to build this 3" larger version and there is less lumber waste. So basically it fits snugly into any corner but it doesn't NEED a corner because it's totally self contained. It was designed to work well just sitting on a floor. So if you take a 4 ft. string, put it in a corner and draw a 1/4 circle with it, that is the Maximum space it will take. It was designed to be a simple, space efficient, low profile horn wiht only a 90 degree turn that is easy to build.............based on the MWMs.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148054-quarter-pie-bass-horn-plots-mwmcorebefore-the-2nd-build/page-10

see post #192 for the latest update. The only thing I would change is the size of the corner reflector to 15.5 x 15.5, which is the same size as the woofer door and should help with the higher frequencies a little, according to many comments received earlier by other people whose opinions I respect and take into account. Anyone who builds this version will actually have slightly better performance than my 45" prototypes which were made from lumber I had precut for a LAB12 Horn I never built.

Also, I have changed my woofer to an Eminence Kappa 15C, which modeled with a "fatter" bottom end and a "thinner" top end at 400 Hz. since I don't need it for my big K-402. I did direct woofer swap from the EVM15L to this woofer with no adjustment except a new cailibration with the Audyssey XT on my receiver. I'm hoping the natural lower rolloff at 300 Hz. will be good enough for me to remove the active Xover and naturally mate with the K-402 without using a choke. We shall see. One step at a time.

Th bass has a bit more definition than before and definitely more "slam" like the Cornwall people talk about, but maintains the sharper transient edges that only a good bass horn can provide over "mushy" direct radiators, comparatively speaking.

Claude: What are the outside dimensions of the cabinet and how finicky is it regarding corner placement?

Sorry Tom, I got confused as to which thread I was responding to........oops.

the THT has greater output when fired into a corner about 18" away. It effectively extends the mouth of the horn and gives you the greatest room diagonal to propagate the lowest frequency possible. It's actually a small horn for what it does, even though people think it's big, just like all the bass horns, but when you are talking getting to 20 Hz., the wavelength is over 56 feet.

Claude: What are the outside dimensions of the cabinet and how finicky is it regarding corner placement?

Sorry Tom, I got confused as to which thread I was responding to........oops.

the THT has greater output when fired into a corner about 18" away. It effectively extends the mouth of the horn and gives you the greatest room diagonal to propagate the lowest frequency possible. It's actually a small horn for what it does, even though people think it's big, just like all the bass horns, but when you are talking getting to 20 Hz., the wavelength is over 56 feet.

Understood!

Thanks

Claude's and my schedules are not jiving in the near future, so um.......is anyone taking a drive from Indy to southern WI? :blush:

Very happy to be the new owner of this THT but I can't do an ambitious road trip for a while. You might be mumbling at this moment, "then why'd you buy it?". I've never heard a horn loaded sub and keep reading awesome comments. This was a great deal I couldn't pass on. I've got a QSC PLX pro amp waiting for sub duty. Yes this is overkill, Claude, but I gotta try :biggrin:. I can make Rockford, IL if that makes things easier.

Can I please get some help from the Klipsch Pony Express?

post-32510-0-34500000-1396840709_thumb.j

Edited by Rivernuggets

Axpona on Thursday Morning somewhere in the Chicago area. It's a 3-day Hi Fi show

I wish there was a spot in this forum that these shows could be listed. I see that as my best way to actually get to the next step in hifi. Or just my next step in audio period. I see you listing gatherings all the time, some invite only although all within reach of me. At this point in my life im more interested in audio 2ch hifi in particular much more than my occupation as paint rep. I tried nodding my head and nothing happened.

Its kind of like race forums for pro nitro 8th scale in the forums. I drove days and spent thousands as well as getting some of best best sponsors along the way. Not at radio controlled shows but actually at certain races. I want to get more involved and these shows at any pace sound 5 star to me..

• Like 1

I dont have anything like you do Claude although im 2ch only. I refuse to step into such places as "classic stereo" cause i always end up pissing them off cause my 2ch rig sounds lumps better than any of there theater setups let alone the $30k theater room they have locally which both my theater and 2 ch especially sound so much better its not funny with their new up to date gear. Iv had it and want 2ch hifi only. I just cannot get enough. Thanks for your direction if you could take a moment to tell me where to get this info, please.

Mark Beeker

• Like 2