Speakers in a tile floored room?

The home we purchased to retire in is located in Arizona. All of the living (non-bedroom) areas are tiled with ceramic tile. In the office/den where I have placed my recently acquired Cornwalls, there is one large area rug located in the middle which takes up most of the floor space directly in front of the speakers. My question is this. Should I place the speakers on some type of rug or other material rather than have them sit directly on the tile floor. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. They sound great as is, but I just got to wondering.

Depends. Some people believe putting the speakers locked on the hard surface (spikes through the carpet) are the correct way to go. Other like the sound of the speaker on a pad. That is why some people buy that foam pads for putting speakers on. Unfortunately you will have to be the judge.. Depending on your positioning, one may sound tighter to you and seem to provide better imaging (locked on floor) but you might not like that as much as on the rug or pad.

• Like 1

I would check to see if yours have domes of silence on the bottom and remove them, as they could scratch the tile. But I am not sure, I have heard of people having issues with them on wood floors, tile may not be a issue.

• Like 1

I would check to see if yours have domes of silence on the bottom and remove them, as they could scratch the tile. But I am not sure, I have heard of people having issues with them on wood floors, tile may not be a issue.

Removed a long time ago when I enclosed the backs!!!

The home we purchased to retire in is located in Arizona. All of the living (non-bedroom) areas are tiled with ceramic tile. In the office/den where I have placed my recently acquired Cornwalls, there is one large area rug located in the middle which takes up most of the floor space directly in front of the speakers. My question is this. Should I place the speakers on some type of rug or other material rather than have them sit directly on the tile floor. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. They sound great as is, but I just got to wondering.

I use old comforters for testing purposes since we always have these on hand - and you can fold them up into smaller sections to listen for differences.

I'd also recommend placing something on top of the speakers that's acoustically absorptive to listen for any differences -- this is due to the collapsing polar midrange horn that loses pattern control below about 1.7 KHz down to the midrange-bass bin crossover frequency. Placing something on top will affect the timbre of the speaker, as well as placing anything within 4 feet of them horizontally or vertically.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Chris

• Like 1

HDBR told me long time ago go get what they call grippers glad I did. They kinda hook speaker to floor with out scratching it and with out transmitting sound to floor . My Ks sit on hard wood I wished I would have A-B them before I put them on but his word was good enough for me. Rick

I use old comforters for testing purposes since we always have these on hand - and you can fold them up into smaller sections to listen for differences.

I'd also recommend placing something on top of the speakers that's acoustically absorptive to listen for any differences -- this is due to the collapsing polar midrange horn that loses pattern control below about 1.7 KHz down to the midrange-bass bin crossover frequency. Placing something on top will affect the timbre of the speaker, as well as placing anything within 4 feet of them horizontally or vertically.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Chris

Excellent ideas

My question is this. Should I place the speakers on some type of rug or other material rather than have them sit directly on the tile floor. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Do the speakers sit really flat on the floor, or do they wobble? Is the floor really flat, or bumpy? If there is no movement, I'd be tempted to leave them alone.

Whatever you do, A-B the results, i.e. do it to just one speaker, then compare the sound to the other speaker without the treatment. If your speakers do not sound the same to begin with (due to room placement, whatever), then try the treatment with each speaker, one at a time, with comparative listening inbetween. If both speakers sound better with a certain treatment, you know what to do!

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.

Both my LaScalas and Heresys sit steady on a tile floor.

I placed a large area oriental rug that lays directly in front of them.

Like ricktate, when I first set them up it sounded so good I never gave it a thought.

Now I'm curious...