Niles' brilliant outdoor subwoofer

mustang guy

Niles has done it again. They have developed a subwoofer that is buried. I was looking at my crutchfield catalog and saw a diagram in the back, and thought, "why didn't I think of that?" I love the idea, but since we are real knuckleheads, we will of course figure out a way to do it bigger and better. I'm thinking an old cistern would be a great chamber for an inground IB.

:)

Here's the site.

GSS10_1200px.jpg

• Like 2

About a year ago I actually priced 1/2" plastic to build BFM subs into a hillside. I couldn't come up with a good method to secure panels to one another. Perhaps something like this with a horn like a brass Tuba shape pointing straight up, and then an inverted bowl to keep critters and weather out. This has inspired me.

Its raining like crazy outside, so I might as well draw a neat underground sub on Sketchup.

edit: OK here is the IB chamber. The approximate size is 87 cu ft. Should allow for a nice sized driver or two. I am forgetting about the tuba shaped mouth, and just figuring on a driver or drivers mounted in a large pipe. I could use an upside down bowl idea like the Niles people, or go with more of an upside down J, like gas companies use.

second update: I calculated 4 sub drivers of brand and model Kicker S15L7 Solo-Baric 15" DVC Subwoofer 2+2 Ohms. Using this chamber and 3 - 12" wide ports 27 1/2" long results in a 15 - 350Hz response curve, with some pretty flat max spl everywhere from 15 - 450Hz in the 130db range. Would be great for an outdoor movie...

post-47699-0-56720000-1399933624_thumb.j

post-47699-0-98200000-1399935656_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Sub level woofer design engineers are diggin deep on this one. How deep or low they gonna go :lol:

kind of like one of them rumble shakers that parts express sell that people, somebody(?) put in their chairs

very interesting outdoor concept nonetheless :) like a little earthquake machine :D

• Like 2

second update: I calculated 4 sub drivers of brand and model Kicker S15L7 Solo-Baric 15" DVC Subwoofer 2+2 Ohms. Using this chamber and 3 - 12" wide ports 27 1/2" long results in a 15 - 350Hz response curve, with some pretty flat max spl everywhere from 15 - 450Hz in the 130db range. Would be great for an outdoor movie...

I just wonder what happens to the sound when you add the "exhaust pipe". I would think it would act more like a port than a sound transmitter.

• Like 1