Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

keep in mind also the 80-180 is just the Dayton line. We can start talking about lms ultra 15" being one of the best drivers available. If you look at that price the 180 "high end" Dayton is much cheaper in comparison.

Boy, you're not kidding. Everything is relative, now isn't it.

Like my friend who just spent $13,000 on a new turntable and tone arm for his moving coil cartridge and lots of new vinyl. Sure makes my turntables and cartridges seem cheapskate in comparison, but I won't hear the extra $12,000 worth, I assure you. Maybe I'll hear it, but it doesn't have that much value to me.

We can start talking about lms ultra 15" being one of the best drivers available

But you'll need to find a horn sub designed specifically with that driver in mind.

well not a 15 but if you wanted to go 18 the gjallerhorns are about as mean as a sub can get. However like others have said. I read it can only go up to about 60 hz. So youth would need something higher.

If you're building this by yourself and it's your first build, build the F-20.

I'll likely build it with Wake. Together we can knock it out in no time.

We can definitely knock it out. Building isn't the problem. Deciding is.

I still think an attic IB should still be in the running.

• Moderators
I still think an attic IB should still be in the running.

As mentioned during our phone conversation, my main concern with that is the neighbors hearing it since I live in a sub-division and my closest neighbor is only 20' away from the HT. Maybe I need to invite him and his wife over for movie night and feel them out first. Haha

• Like 1

As mentioned during our phone conversation, my main concern with that is the neighbors hearing it since I live in a sub-division and my closest neighbor is only 20' away from the HT.

The attic insulation all but kills the back wave of an IB. I've had mine going full tilt and went outside to listen. Occasionally it would sound like distant thunder, no more than that. You go inside the house and it sounds like the walls are coming down.

• Like 1

• Moderators
You go inside the house and it sounds like the walls are coming down.

Unfortunately, in my house there is such a thing as having too much bass.....at least for my wife. She already thinks the RSW-15 is too much bass. :P

You go inside the house and it sounds like the walls are coming down.

Unfortunately, in my house there is such a thing as having too much bass.....at least for my wife. She already thinks the RSW-15 is too much bass. :P

That's what the volume know is for. It goes up AND down. I'm sure there's times when she's not around ;)

• Like 1

We can start talking about lms ultra 15" being one of the best drivers available

But you'll need to find a horn sub designed specifically with that driver in mind.

well not a 15 but if you wanted to go 18 the gjallerhorns are about as mean as a sub can get. However like others have said. I read it can only go up to about 60 hz. So youth would need something higher.

The guy that sold me my first Danley DTS-10 built a pair of Gjallerhorns. The guy who sold me my second one built a "Lowarhorn" which is a low profile version of the Gjallerhorn with that driver. It's a killer for sure but very pricey.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• Moderators

Haha...movie time is the time when she's not around. She doesn't enjoy watching movies. Feels she can make better use of her time

I can't believe I just read that, she has got to be related to my wife, it is exactly what happens here, and you have 0 chance to talk her into it if is a scary movie.

• Moderators
We can definitely knock it out. Building isn't the problem. Deciding is. I still think an attic IB should still be in the running.

Youthman is lucky to have a friend like you. :emotion-21:

About the last part of what you said, I would have to say YES.........but it's not my wife or house so

• Moderators

I can't believe I just read that, she has got to be related to my wife, it is exactly what happens here, and you have 0 chance to talk her into it if is a scary movie.

My wife figures she could run a 1/2 Marathon in the time I watch a movie. :lol:

Youthman is lucky to have a friend like you. :emotion-21:

I'm truly blessed beyond what I deserve.

About the last part of what you said, I would have to say YES.........but it's not my wife or house so

Shaun and I were discussing this and due to the angle of my roof, if I went with an IB, the subs would have to be mounted in the ceiling firing into the middle of the room because of the steep slope along the side and front ceiling. Not sure how that would look in the ceiling? Might be different if I could mount it behind the false wall in the ceiling but the roof angles too narrow.

post-25073-0-56540000-1401941508_thumb.j

Edited by Youthman

Shaun and I were discussing this and due to the angle of my roof, if I went with an IB, the subs would have to be mounted in the ceiling firing into the middle of the room because of the steep slope along the side and front ceiling. Not sure how that would look in the ceiling? Might be different if I could mount it behind the false wall in the ceiling but the roof angles too narrow.

The IB would not have to be in the middle of the room, but would need to be in front of the false wall. Probably right in front of it.

It is possible we can have the manifold open up inside the top cabinets since we will be using grill cloth fronts. We really don't need that much clearance in the attic.

Black trim with black grill cloth on your black ceiling. Someone would have to look for it. It would not be noticeable at all.