Bad idea to make your passion/hobby a career?

Kain

Guest David H
I grow tired of everything. That is my nature. I love learning new things and figuring things out. Perhaps that is my true passion.

Thats what I am about as well.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Actually, my father owns and runs his own business (an insurance brokerage) which I am currently working for. The reason I want to try something else is that I want to do something in line with my passion/hobby. Ideally, I would want to run a business where I can manage and handle everything on my own (or at max have only a few people). I really dislike depending on people (for certain things) because I feel they will never do as good of a job as me (i.e. if you want to do something right, do it yourself). However, if we can manage to bring our insurance brokerage business to a level where it would simply run on its own without my father being there everyday (I know this statement is contradicting me not liking depending on people), that would be the ideal situation because all I would have to do in life is worry about my passions/hobbies and not about money. Guess I should just stick with what I am doing now.

Lastly, the high-end enthusiast home theater scene here in Dubai is quite small. Even thought nearly every major audio brand is available here, not many people actually own high-end or "enthusiast" home theaters. I was watching a show on TV that was showcasing some people's houses in Dubai and one of the houses had a home theater. It had a large projection screen hooked-up to Bose-like speakers. :wacko:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Actually, my father owns and runs his own business (an insurance brokerage) which I am currently working for. The reason I want to try something else is that I want to do something in line with my passion/hobby. Ideally, I would want to run a business where I can manage and handle everything on my own (or at max have only a few people). I really dislike depending on people (for certain things) because I feel they will never do as good of a job as me (i.e. if you want to do something right, do it yourself). However, if we can manage to bring our insurance brokerage business to a level where it would simply run on its own without my father being there everyday (I know this statement is contradicting me not liking depending on people), that would be the ideal situation because all I would have to do in life is worry about my passions/hobbies and not about money. Guess I should just stick with what I am doing now.

Lastly, the high-end enthusiast home theater scene here in Dubai is quite small. Even thought nearly every major audio brand is available here, not many people actually own high-end or "enthusiast" home theaters. I was watching a show on TV that was showcasing some people's houses in Dubai and one of the houses had a home theater. It had a large projection screen hooked-up to Bose-like speakers. :wacko:

Too bad as they say there is some money there. Only a few highend jobs would have you sorted out with the $!

Thanks for replying here.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Insurance, did that for years, I now understand you desire, to me insurance was as exciting as watching paint dry.

What about this, print up some business cards and try it on the side for fun and see where it goes. I didn't realize you were in Dubai, being one of the very few, or only person with this much passion for it, it may take off ? Considering the average money there you could be onto something big, who knows ?

I do know the feeling about having people work for you, when we did landscaping we had at the most one or two other people helping, I was worried that it wouldn't have went as we wanted without being there to see it ourselves, and this was on the outside of there homes.

That is really bad in a way, we easily could have had a couple of crews doing the work and grew the company much bigger really fast, but I was not comfortable depending on others to do it exactly how we wanted, I am sure it was our loss.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

...Lastly, the high-end enthusiast home theater scene here in Dubai is quite small. Even thought nearly every major audio brand is available here, not many people actually own high-end or "enthusiast" home theaters. I was watching a show on TV that was showcasing some people's houses in Dubai and one of the houses had a home theater. It had a large projection screen hooked-up to Bose-like speakers. :wacko:

Fwiw, I feel the Home Theater market has stabilized here in the United States and people definitely are looking for smaller speakers to go with their larger and larger monitors...Just so much real estate, unless you are going to dedicate a room to it....Also, just as with the ipad, the iphone and small tablet phenomena, a considerable number of folks are watching "home theater" material on these devices and there is only so much $$$ one can spend on electronics. For all I know people will start going to "the movies" again.

Kain if you think you might like installing Ht, volunteer to do one, just the pulling the wires through the walls part and get back with us. :o

That was one of my first jobs, installing home alarm systems.

Lots of fun work in hot attics and nasty crawl spaces.

Yo Kain! Your in the land of gold and cashola! Dubai why of course! Get your hustle on and make a million...im not kidding!! Hotels, homes, gallerys, eaterys you name it your gonna bank...just keep your hustle on and youll make it!

• Like 2

I was really getting into photography as a hobby and needed a way to pay for some expensive glass and DSLR bodies. I managed to land a couple of small gigs to get me started and then continued into weddings, engagements, and some architectural work at a local college for their website.

DFW is SATURATED with photographers willing to do shit work for dirt cheap.

When non-professional customers pay you, they expect to have creative control in your work. Money brings restrictive parameters.

Money also brings deadlines.

Shooting weddings is super stressful (for me).

I hate studio work.

I needed to spend more time and money than I had in order to make my photography capable of being a sustaining enterprise. I also felt my time, effort, and aesthetic was worth more than this current market would bear. I'm no fashion fotog, but I was quite a few steps above the MWAC's.

Ultimately it just became a chore to even think about gigs, let alone actually do them. So I sold all my gear, bought a little Panasonic GF1 with 20mm kit lens and haven't looked back. I don't even pick that camera up nearly as often these days, except for when I want some better quality pics/videos of my kid(s) or a fun event.

Maybe photography wasn't a passion after all..

• Like 1

• Moderators

Or it just burned you out, not the work but the customers ?

I am still looking, not much call for people who want to listen to music, travel and get buzzed, but i'm still looking. :(

• Like 1

From the book FIrst, Break All the Rules:

The Gallup [Organization] found that there were just 12 items that consistently differentiated high­ performing workgroups from average- and poor-performing workgroups. Those items, now known as the Gallup Q12, are:

1) I know what is expected of me at work.
2) I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
3) At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
4) In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
5) My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
6) There is someone at work who encourages my development
7) At work, my opinions seem to count.
8) The mission/purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important.
9) My associates (fellow employees) are committed to doing quality work.
10) I have a best friend at work.
11) In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
12) This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.

Note that compensation (money) isn't in any of those statistically relevant factors.

adc6ca10-dd07-11e3-bb69-12313b090d61-ori

Edited by Chris A

Interesting story. I love photography, and have for 40 years. It's my number one passion today. But, I'd never consider professional photography. I love it as an art form, which is making pictures that interest me. Making them for others on demand would be tedious and mind numbing. It would definitely not be enjoyable. I've sold my pictures - that's fine. But they're pictures I wanted to make.

Therefore, regarding your last sentence there, maybe it was the difference I have described between professional and art photography? Don't toss your last camera out yet!

you're spot on Mark. I have absolutely no qualms about selling a piece that I've artfully taken and processed for personal enjoyment. I do not, however, wish to try and cram my photography into someone else's creative box, regardless of how aligned my style and their goals may be be.

I prefer to do "street" or "photojournalism" style photography - capturing the unscripted raw emotion of human beings. weddings certainly have plenty of that to offer, and that was their main draw. Unfortunately, everything else about wedding photography sucked the fun out of it.

living where I do in N.Texas, bearded guys taking random photos of people draws too much unwanted attention (vs. NYC, Boston, or even downtown Dallas). And I have too many responsibilities at stake to drop everything and try to make it as an actual photojournalist. I definitely will keep cameras, but I've just hit a lull these past few years as I focus on building my family, working on my property, and pursuing other interests like HiFI, target shooting, etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I definitely will keep cameras, but I've just hit a lull these past few years as I focus on building my family, working on my property, and pursuing other interests like HiFI, target shooting, etc.

Not a bad thing at all, between film and digital I took a break for years, I think it was what helped me get excited about it again and it was added to other interest. It also fell between our kids as adults and now grandkids so family was still included.

Take plenty of your kids, everything changes really fast.

• Like 1

Or it just burned you out, not the work but the customers ?

I am still looking, not much call for people who want to listen to music, travel and get buzzed, but i'm still looking. :(

hey im always down to listen to music, travel and get buzzed...

• Like 1

Okay, just thinking out loud here but what if I said I wanted to do something (could be anything really, doesn't have to be audio related) that I could manage on my own or at max have only a few people and still make good money? Any recommendations/opinions/comments?

http://blog.bufferapp.com/the-science-of-what-motivates-us-to-get-up-for-work-every-day

http://blogmaverick.com/2012/03/18/dont-follow-your-passion-follow-your-effort/

These two articles sound as if they're contradicting each other--they're not, however.

It's been my experience that no one can tell you what you need to consider for a career, but there are signals that others can use to advise what you probably shouldn't do.

I'd recommend writing down every idea that comes to mind, then use some mnemonic (like the one below, including plotting where each opportunity lies on the figure) to check out and rate each opportunity in some balanced way. Remember to include any personal contacts that you have where you like what they do for a living, then think around what they do for more ideas.

adc6ca10-dd07-11e3-bb69-12313b090d61-ori

"All the serious mistakes are made on the first day"