Taurus vs. Stairway

No. That one's a real stretch.

Ditto. The drowning man clutching at straws. They are not even close.

George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" sounded a whole lotta like "She's So Fine" which he lost in court, but was quoted: "If my name was John Smith, they never would have sued." Same story, different song.

Think about all the riffs in rock and blues that are all what came before it, or just a basic boogie bass line..............puhlease!

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Apparently I was wrong. Turns out that Page was a thief, and most of Zeppelin's songs were covers - admittedly very good ones, but covers nonetheless. There is no shortage of stuff about on the Web and YouTube - it's pretty blatant stuff.

Most ? There are like five that people talk about and in most cases its due to Plant's lyrics not the guitar parts. Musically Page's guitar parts were completely different like in The Lemon Song.

I always thought that ZZ Top's version of La Grange (intro, etc...) sounded very much like a fast version of Cannned Heats, On the Road Again. It's all in the tempo....

Hence my point about every "boogie" song ever recorded, which came from "boogie woogie" rhythm on a piano.

Yes, for the most part they do sound similar although the chord progressions are resolved differently. They're both basic descending chromatic chord progressions and can be played a million different ways. They're also often used to create "infinite" "passing" chord progressions that keep resolving back onto itself. They're quite popular in, well, for lack of better word, "popular" music. The Beatles used them, The Stones, The Byrds, Stevie Ray & Clapton, jazz favorites like Dianna Krall, Patricia Barber, George Benson, & even C&W. Just change a thing or two on any chord, like add a measure, major or minor, add a 5th or 7th and it changes the emotional response to the progression. Here's the same thing with two measures ~ sounds like The Eagles Hotel California.

Fortunately I do have that particular Spirit LP. My favorite on there is "Fresh Garbage". IMHO I don't think Zep/Page ever came up with anything quite as clever. Actually it's my favorite Spirit tune and one of my favorites of all time!

Zeppelin toured with Spirit in '69, then out pops Stairway to Heaven - you can get inspiration from a song without copying it.

@Tone_Boss, you might want to check out the various websites and YouTube videos on this topic. I thought it was crap too until I started digging. It's pretty bad, and you're so wrong on the guitar work - Page lifted entire riffs, and we ain't talking about a handful here.

Zeppelin toured with Spirit in '69, then out pops Stairway to Heaven - you can get inspiration from a song without copying it.

@Tone_Boss, you might want to check out the various websites and YouTube videos on this topic. I thought it was crap too until I started digging. It's pretty bad, and you're so wrong on the guitar work - Page lifted entire riffs, and we ain't talking about a handful here.

I still can't tell if you're being facetious.

• 4 months later...

On occasion you run into a low-life who deliberately steals something that they know belongs to someone else and just hopes they don't get caught, but by and large, in the area of music, musicians are very sensitive to this kind of thing, and if someone, upon hearing something they wrote, says, "hey, that sounds a little bit like ..." -- will set off a torrent of activity to ensure originality. When it happens, it's coincidence, done at the subconscious level, or purely accidental. I love when it happen and the accused says, "Hey, I never even heard that song before."

Lennon got sued for "Come Together" by Chuck Berry's publishers, I can't remember the song -- apparently part of it is identical. Harrison took a shot for "My Sweet Lord" which sounds a lot like a song called, "He's so fine" -- can't remember the band.

While it's true that chord progressions can't be copyrighted, it you use someone else's chord progressions along with some of the arrangement and make the melody similar enough that it's recognizable -- you're probably going to find yourself on the losing end of a lawsuit.

There are only 12 notes, so without some "borrowing", we would run out of music pretty fast.

Dean's got it right. There's a difference between "inspiration" and ripping off another guy's work. Speaking of Chuck Berry, he eventually got the credit for the Beach Boys' Surfin' USA since it so closely tracked on of his compositions. (Can't recall which one).

There are some legal issues.

Copyright rights can be transferred by contract or inheritance.  The original owner of the right might not have sued for whatever reason, but the new own might and is not necessarily bound or "estopped" by the original owner. 

Somewhat related is the issue that there is a continuing copying (or publication), arguably.  It is not as if LZ sold some infringing works (if infringing) in the past, they are doing it today and making money.  I understand the doctrine of laches could be applied by the SCOTUS has a new ruling on that in another case.

Finally, the damage issue comes into play.  Spirit is arguably entitle to recover moneys based on how much its work contributed to the success of the song.  The contributions of LZ will be considered too.  Spirit's contribution is probably not the entire song and LZ contributed a lot to its success..

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott