TV Value

A1UC

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN63B550-63-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B001ULCYM0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401292141&sr=1-1&keywords=PN63B550

Im not sure what a fair price would be for this TV I bought it brand new its mint . I paid 2900.00 for it and 400.00 to have it calibrated 3 yrs ago , its been wall mounted from day one - non smoker .

Id like to list it local but don't want to give it away

I was thinking 700- 800 but then this seems low to me at times

The glass stand is still in plastic never used

• Moderators

Not sure if these are the same model as yours but here is a 1080p 63" Samsung for $550 South of me and another one out of state for $850. These are the first few that I found on Nationwide Craigslist.

Amazon is showing (2) Used for $1750 so I'm not sure what is a good asking price for that model. Start off at what you feel is reasonable. You can always come down if you don't get any bites.

Check www.searchtempest.com to see what others are asking for theirs.

Unfortunately, TV's and most other electronics like Receivers drop like a rock in value due to continual advancement in technology. I paid $2500 for my projector and the next year, they came out with a better model for $2000. When I get ready to upgrade, it will likely be worth $400. :(

How old is the TV? Does the TV have anything that says how many hours are on it like a projector does? As far as value... I look at how much a brand new one would cost, and take half of that as the most I would pay for a used TV. TVs are different then other items like your stereo as they do wear out. Just my 2 cents on value of TVs. In my experience the only thing that drops more in value is a computer. Technology is moving so fast that used items in Hi-Tech have almost no value a year or two later.

• Like 1

• Moderators
In my experience the only thing that drops more in value is a computer. Technology is moving so fast that used items in Hi-Tech have almost no value a year or two later.

Totally agree with that. That's why I build my own and buy a few year old technology (i5 processor etc).

TVs are different then other items like your stereo as they do wear out.

Doesn't a stereo wear out too? :huh: .

Does the TV have anything that says how many hours are on it like a projector does?

Don't think hrs matter that much with Plasma TV's.

Question: How Long Do Plasma TVs Last?

Answer: The early plasma TVs had a half-life of about 30,000 hours. However, due to technology improvements made in recent years, most plasm set units have 60,000 hour lifespans, with some sets rated as high as 100,000 hours.

What a lifespan rating means is that a Plasma set will lose approximately 50% of its brightness during its rated lifespan time. Based on even the modest early 30,000 hour rating, if such a Plasma television is on for 8 hours a day, its half-life would be about 9 years - or, if on 4 hours a day, the half-life would be about 18 years (Double these figures for a 60,000 hour half-life).

However, with some sets now rated at 100,000 hours, this means that if you watch TV 6 hours a day, you will have an acceptable viewing experience for about 40 years. Even at 24 hours a day, a 100,000 hour hour half life is still about 10 years.

• Like 1

OP... I think your original assessment of 700-800 is about spot on.

as with all things, ask for a little more and settle for what you can get, hopefully in the comfort zone.

I agree on the life(half life) on the later Plasmas... they are going to last a LONG time.

this "ubiquitous" post was approved by me :P

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Looks like a tv I would be glad to have. I originally was against plasma because of the horrible image burn and dull color I had seen on display models. I have talked to a few and read online ratings, and plasma seems to be the preferred tech (at least until they perfect OLED technology). I would consider a plasma tv for my downstairs theatre if I could get one for a decent price. It may not be important now, but had my eyes set on the 4k TVs since technology could very well head that direction in coming years.

Are you located somewhere that is within a fair distance to lincoln nebraska? If the picture is still fairly crisp I would have no problem getting a plasma... For the time being.

Edited by Cosmic_surfer

What you really should do is compare your model TV to the equivalent 2014 model and set a % of that as your asking price.

For example, my Samsung PN59D6500 is their 2012 third tier SMART plasma TV which MSRP'd at $2200.00(I think) and I bought it open box for $1149.00.

Today's equivalent Samsung third tier SMART plasma is the PN60F5500AFXZA which has a MSRP of $1799.99 and can be bought new for $1199.00. If I was to list my TV local, I would list it for $750 and most likely get around $600.

It looks like your PN63550 was a 2010 non-SMART model that msrp'd at $3999.99 and was pretty hefty at over 133 pounds with stand. You really should compare your TV to the top tier non-SMART model currently for sale. which is this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-64-class-64-diag--plasma-1080p-600hz-hdtv-deep-brown/1306230474.p?id=mp1306230474&skuId=1306230474&st=pcmcat193400050016_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=7#tab=buyingOptions

It is sad to say(for a reseller) but TV values drop like a rock especially after the next model is released.

Bill

I would just move it to another room. To bad I am not a little closer, lol.

that's what I did... rather than locking in a loss on my older 1080 55" plasma when I got my 64"er... I just moved her into my bedroom. I love it in there and have been happy ever since. it still performs flawlessly to this day despite being nearly about 7 years old.

this "ubiquitous" post was approved by me :P

Edited by Schu

It would make a hell of an active picture frame or a bedroom tv.

Do you have a HT room? There is a guy on the AVS forum that has some software that runs on your pc, and displays trailers and movie posters. You could use it for displaying trailers or put it outside of your HT room for when people want to talk (that is what I am doing with our old 47" LCD panel.

Dunno what your local craigslist is like, but you might see if there's some things you've been wanting that are for sale locally. post your tv on CL, inflate the price by a few hundred, and take some good pictures. Then start hammering people via email asking if they want to trade and include the link to your posting.

I decided that my 3 year old 50" Samsung plasma was too small for my new room and that a 73" mitsubishi DLP is where I wanted to go. I managed to find a guy on the other side of DFW that had one crammed into a spare bedroom and looking to downsize. His TV was a year or two newer than mine, so I traded my TV + $100 and we both walked away with our desired end result.

You can usually get away with higher perceived value in barter arrangements than you can in a cash only deal. Just something to think about if you haven't already.