Center channel above mantel?

stream

Hi guys - trying to configure our center channel arrangement for the new house, and I'm on the fence about something. We've decided (by "we" I really mean my wife) to mount the TV above the mantel, and now I have to place the center channel. I was going to mount it under the mantel using a custom enclosure mounted to the bottom of the mantel, above the fireplace. But there's the obvious heat concerns, plus the fact that the RC-42 II that I've selected would poke out roughly 3" beyond the mantel's front. The wife has vetoed that pretty strong, so that leaves the top.

On our sectional our ear height is about 45", and this arrangement will put the center channel up around 64". Will that ~20" height difference affect our sound? Our mains, RF-7s, have tweeters that are quite a bit lower, I believe. Do y'all think our soundstage will sound funky with that height disparity?

NVWKLHc.jpg

• Moderators

Scrappy, somehow I missed that he had RF-7's. I was focusing just on the tweeter height issue.

I agree, I think you might be disappointed. I heard the RC-52 with RF-82's and didn't feel it could keep up. The RC-42ii with RF-7's is going to strugge even more.

Man I can't imagine a rc-42 hanging in there with rf-7's. Have you tried a phantom center with just your mains?

We have a RC-3 now, and it does fine. However it's almost twice as tall as the RC-42 II, which means our TV would be even 5" higher. The RC-3 is 97db sensitive and the RC-42 II is 95db - is that enough to make a substantial difference?

I'm also looking at the RC-52 II, which is only about an inch taller. Just 95dB to 96dB from the 42, but about 50w difference in power handling.

Edited by stream

Not being an HT fanatic, when im looking at that Mantle all I see is sinking that center right into the center, id be on that puppy with a sawsall so fast it would be done before the wife had a chance to get pizzed :ph34r:

A nice resessed box just under that Mantle.

Man I can't imagine a rc-42 hanging in there with rf-7's. Have you tried a phantom center with just your mains?

We have a RC-3 now, and it does fine. However it's almost twice as tall as the RC-42 II, which means our TV would be even 5" higher. The RC-3 is 97db sensitive and the RC-42 II is 95db - is that enough to make a substantial difference?

I'm also looking at the RC-52 II, which is only about an inch taller. Just 95dB to 96dB from the 42, but about 50w difference in power handling.

the decibel thing will be corrected when your eq runs level matching. However rc-42 or 52 will have a much smaller sound due to the horn size. But if you've been just fine with the rc-3 don't let us change your mind. Just install that bad boy and enjoy. I've owned all the center in the reference lineup and don't think the rc-42ii to rc-52ii is not a big jump for the money.

the decibel thing will be corrected when your eq runs level matching. However rc-42 or 52 will have a much smaller sound due to the horn size. But if you've been just fine with the rc-3 don't let us change your mind. Just install that bad boy and enjoy. I've owned all the center in the reference lineup and don't think the rc-42ii to rc-52ii is not a big jump for the money.

What do you think about the RC-3 > RC-52 II? Similar specs, but 12 years newer.

I can tell you that there ain't no way we're throwing a RC-64 up on that mantel :) That joker is waaaay too big (and expensive).

it may result in less prominence as a center yet the 42 may prove worth it. years ago i used a kv1 for everything(all theater setups) and was way outmatched and was truly i feel the worse(most bad) speaker klipsch ever made(does serve its purpose and dont throw stuff at me lol)

that said and noticing your positioning i would give the rc42ii a shot...adjusting it may just prove to do rather well...

I do understand other comments about comparing to rf7's nonetheless adjustment for theater use may prove well. If its not a permanent placement from the "giving the 42 a try" i would surely try it considering you have it in hand.

Or mod that mantle....that may be a rough couple months to follow though..

A phantom center will work well with that room and maybe some in-wall speakers for front height to help in the vertical portion of the sound stage.

Run the 7s alone. Phantom center will blow away a rc-42ii.

I've thought about doing a phantom center, but I'm concerned that I'd have "anchoring" problems since people will be sitting in all areas of this room. It's not a "dedicated" theater room with a sweet spot in the middle. I'm thinking that a prominent center will anchor the dialog/etc to the TV area, no matter where you're sitting in the room. Am I way off base with that line of thinking?

Anything is worth a shot. A lot of people are running phantom around here. I have done it and it works to my liking. Them rf7's would do rather well i would believe. At the same time you could try the 42...It would be interesting to see what you find best...

I'm installing my TV over the mantle right now and I'm gonna go with the center that will fit! It's mostly the talking speaker at my house. Does it have to keep up with the RF7s? I'm not really buying that I guess unless you are really into surround music purchases?

I'm installing my TV over the mantle right now and I'm gonna go with the center that will fit! It's mostly the talking speaker at my house. Does it have to keep up with the RF7s? I'm not really buying that I guess unless you are really into surround music purchases?

I'm definitely not a sophisticated HT listener, so I'm also looking for a "good enough" solution. If I throw a RC-42 II up on the mantel, will it at least sound okay with the RF-7's? The RC-3 we use now sounds fine for our needs.

I'm definitely not a sophisticated HT listener, so I'm also looking for a "good enough" solution. If I throw a RC-42 II up on the mantel, will it at least sound okay with the RF-7's? The RC-3 we use now sounds fine for our needs.
only you can decide if you think it's good enough. I had the whole rf-42ii home theater for a while and it was great for its size. I say go for it. Won't hurt to try.

My vote would be for a dedicated center, as it will usually have discrete audio information, and not be the same info sent to the L/R's. You guys who are voting for the phantom center are so used to sitting in your perfect LP that you may be forgetting that the phantom center doesn't image as well if you are off-center. :P

I think the center channel is even more important than the L/R because it's where 95% of your content will come from, which is dialog, and for me, I like the sound anchored to the center. I say that with all due respect to you guys who like a matched L/C/R.

In either case, once the center is mounted, Mr. Stream can electronically fiddle with his settings and see what sounds best to him (I'm presuming the wife won't know or won't care, one way or the other :rolleyes: ).

Edited by wvu80