i think i am ready to try veneer out

ok guys i am wanting to try and learn to do some veneer work. i will start on something small. something like the overnight sensation. looking for a cheap veneer as well in case i royally screw it up. any tips? places to get cheap veneer but of good quality? i was mainly reading on joewoodworker.com

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Cheap veneer & good veneer are hard to find together.

If you're starting out on a first project Parts Express has basic veneer that's not overly expensive.

Buy quality adhesive and let all materials acclimate for at least a few days before application.

Guest David H

For a beginner paper back 1/4 sawn veneer should be fairly forgiving to work with, and is not overly expensive.

4x8 sheets of walnut, red oak or cherry run about $80

Dave

Edited by GotHover
  • Like 1

Gentleman I used to work with said he bought "Door Skins", Veneer to made reface doors. He stated it was much cheaper then buying veneer, and his speakers came better then he expected. I never seen them, but he was quite pleased.

• Like 1

Doorskins are nice, if you can find them.

The local lumber cash-and-carry sells 5.5mm 4x8 luan ply with a bunch of different face veners available. The veneer is only on one face, but is much thicker than normal. They have oak on sale frequently to as low as $10.

• Like 1

You also have to consider "iron on" veneer or hot glue method.

Jeff Hoak veneered my Revel B15 subwoofer with iron on cherry veneer while Marshall(groomlakearea51) is in the hot glue camp.

This is where I bought my hot melt/iron-on veneer from. They come in 2' x 8' sheets.

http://www.tapeease.com/hot_melt_sheets.htm

These are 4' x 8' paper back veneer sheets.

http://www.woodcraft.com/category/5/1005150/2008659/Cherry%20Veneer%20Sheets.aspx

Bill

Rockler sells veneer in smaller packs. A lot of veneer also needs a press or vacuum to help with adherence. Not all but some.

Woodworkers source also sells veneer but I haven't found their website to be as easy as rockler. There was a woodworkers source near my house in Phoenix and I bought some veneer tools and edge banding there but had to order my walnut from an eBay seller to get the right length to do my corns.

you can also consider Vinyl siding/veneer... :P

I had a pair of CW's in vinyl, looked like they were done in the 70's... I didnt mind them to much, but I dont think I would ever do that myself.

how do the big sheets come shipped? rolled?

Edited by Schu

just nail some nice wood paneling on them they'll be fine :D

its gotta be same as applying wraps on cars or motorhomes....just be confident and smooth with cuts and squeegee as you flatten it out...hold the loose end firm and watch every spot you apply with confidence. dont hesitate. do it like you mean it...

I seen a friend of mine buy used beat to crap speakers and go to menards grab vinyl and send pics in a couple hours and the pair were like new(minus inserts, the face)...just the outter cabinet. no kidding. his family did a lot of woodwork though...iv never did speakers

• Like 1