New Heresy's

Sprags

I joined a few days ago in hopes of finding a good deal on used Heresy's. And I've gotten some good links for used Heresy's. My collection of equipment is in really nice shape visually and perform great also.

I've considered buying new Heresy's so I know I'm getting them in the best condition they can be but I'm curious about other benefits of buying used ones. Are Heresy I's and II's considered to better than the current generation? Are there differences in the sound?

My first speakers were DCM Timewindows that I purchased new in 1977. I sorta remember an MSRP of around $600 but maybe I'm wrong...so a price of $1700 really isn't unreasonable based on how many years it's been.

Audiokarma seems to believe that spending a whole is crazy...but I'm of the belief that sometimes it's worth it. I wish I could afford pricier stuff but I can't.

Opinions or thoughts? Thanks....Blake

try to demo some of the gear you are interested in...the h3's are a very good speaker...if you like new and they are within range go for it...you can find large klipsch used and in good condition very cheap if you are patient...try to demo all you can before making a choice....look for some cornwalls or chorus or fortes used...heck likely had for abot 5-900$ you cannot go wrong. Enjoy the hunt...sounds like your right on track or close to it! cheers!!

• Like 1

I'd like the larger Klipsch speakers but....I'm limited by space. I've heard older Heresy's...not sure which ones but now that I've been educated about the different generations I'll be sure to make a note of it. I'm going back to Simply Stereo tomorrow to listen to the ones they have setup.

I joined a few days ago in hopes of finding a good deal on used Heresy's. And I've gotten some good links for used Heresy's. My collection of equipment is in really nice shape visually and perform great also.

I've considered buying new Heresy's so I know I'm getting them in the best condition they can be but I'm curious about other benefits of buying used ones. Are Heresy I's and II's considered to better than the current generation? Are there differences in the sound?

My first speakers were DCM Timewindows that I purchased new in 1977. I sorta remember an MSRP of around $600 but maybe I'm wrong...so a price of $1700 really isn't unreasonable based on how many years it's been.

Audiokarma seems to believe that spending a whole is crazy...but I'm of the belief that sometimes it's worth it. I wish I could afford pricier stuff but I can't.

Opinions or thoughts? Thanks....Blake

I toured the Time Window factory in 1980 in Ann Arbor. Steve Eberbach was a very solid engineer on those. Amazing little 2-ways and I like the way he rotated the Philips tweeters for best best performance. I think the new Heresy's are better than the older ones. I have owned the 1, 1.5, and II. Much greater clarity and impact on the III.

That being said, I really like my modified Heresy 1's but by the time you spend the money and time to go though the mods, they cost the same or more than new Heresy's with warranties!

Edited by ClaudeJ1

As much as I really want to check out some speakers from CL I ended up working OT and that extra time has given me the opportunity to follow this forum. I now see that the tube amp I have, a VTA ST-120, may actually be too much for Heresy's. It seems that I may want a speaker that is a little less efficient. Thoughts and opinions? Thank you.

Edited by Sprags

Heresy's can handle that amp no problem. Each Heresy can handle 100 watts continuous, and that amp is 60 watts per speaker.

I have not owned the Heresy III yet, so I cannot attest to it's sound, but I love the Heresy and Heresy II. In fact, it was a set of Heresy's I heard in a dorm room back in 1982 which sparked my interest in Klipsch. It was the best sounding speaker I had ever heard.

There are so many variations of finish, grill fabric, and badging of Heresy's over the years. I have seen ugly ones, and beautiful ones. There are tons of possible mods as Claude said. If you don't buy new, you can shop for looks and modify later to suit your audiophile desires. It is quite fulfilling upgrading and restoring speakers.

• Like 2

Heresy's can handle that amp no problem. Each Heresy can handle 100 watts continuous, and that amp is 60 watts per speaker.

I have not owned the Heresy III yet, so I cannot attest to it's sound, but I love the Heresy and Heresy II. In fact, it was a set of Heresy's I heard in a dorm room back in 1982 which sparked my interest in Klipsch. It was the best sounding speaker I had ever heard.

There are so many variations of finish, grill fabric, and badging of Heresy's over the years. I have seen ugly ones, and beautiful ones. There are tons of possible mods as Claude said. If you don't buy new, you can shop for looks and modify later to suit your audiophile desires. It is quite fulfilling upgrading and restoring speakers.

This is good advise. Upgrading old speakers is a lot of fun and not much work at all. You will have speakers that have a little bit of you in them. This forum is packed full of great info and ideas.

My older son has original Heresy speakers and I have HIIs. To me, the HIIs were an improvement over the originals and I would get HIIIs if I could afford them. New Klipsch speakers, yummm!

While you can tweak and modify the old models to make them better, the new ones are really good. Plus , you get a pair that are unmolested and you can treat them right.

Bruce

• Like 1

Less efficient .....never buy less efficient speakers never,never, if Paul were here he would slap you. lol Never have to much power your good with that amp,Rick

Excellent point. I have taken the attitude of using the best low power amplifiers possible at the lowest price from 5-100 Watts (except for subs of course), and just increasing EFFICIENCY when you want to play louder and/or with more detail and lower distortion.

This is why so many of us have gone to Pro Drivers on midrange and tweeter drivers because when you have 110 db/Watt efficiency, you only need 0.010 (10 milliwatts) of power for 80-85 db in the sweet spot. Everyone who has experienced this will never go back unless economic times get tough, they move to a smaller space, or acquire a new woman in their life, LOL.

Lots of good info. A less efficient speaker is a bad idea. Simply put the more a speaker moves the more it distorts. So the more efficient a loudspeaker the better. There is this misconception that you can get to exactly the same place with less efficient loudspeakers and a larger amp and it is simply not true and the sound is not as good yes you ca play at the same level that way but it is easy for anyone to tell the difference between the two approaches. As said once you experience high efficiency you won't ever want to go back. Those who tell you otherwise have simply not experienced a decent high efficiency rig. Just my two cents. Best regards Moray James.

PS: a set of H3 will get you into both titanium tweeter and midrange diaphragms which are in another universe compared to the old phenolic Heresy diaphragms plus much more sophisticated crossovers. No contest in my mind. Then if you want then you can start to modify to your hearts content.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Less efficient... :emotion-41:

You can't go wrong new, you can have your choice the exact look you want, you get the latest improvements, you support the company that makes the great speakers you love and you get that new speaker smell.

So true, my ht room still stinks from the new speakers. I love it!

Less efficient .....never buy less efficient speakers never,never, if Paul were here he would slap you. lol Never have to much power your good with that amp,Rick

Excellent point. I have taken the attitude of using the best low power amplifiers possible at the lowest price from 5-100 Watts (except for subs of course), and just increasing EFFICIENCY when you want to play louder and/or with more detail and lower distortion.

This is why so many of us have gone to Pro Drivers on midrange and tweeter drivers because when you have 110 db/Watt efficiency, you only need 0.010 (10 milliwatts) of power for 80-85 db in the sweet spot. Everyone who has experienced this will never go back unless economic times get tough, they move to a smaller space, or acquire a new woman in their life, LOL.

I am the latest victim :) . I went from watching movies at -10 all the way down to -20 to -25. :o

Blake;

Do you plan on integrating a subwoofer with the Heresey's? Since you are asking for opinions, I will provide mine.

Heresey's regardless of series require a good sub for proper bass response. I am not a bass head by any means, but the Heresey line is very thin on bass.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Extended Heritage Series. Specifically the forte/chorus line. I am partial to the forte II. Footprint is almost identical to Heresey other than the forte II is significantly taller.

The forte II will dig down to almost 30HZ..... I have never felt the need for a sub with either music or video. Used values are between $500-$700,00 in excellent shape depending on local market conditions.

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town
  • Like 2

I'm kinda limited on space so...I wasn't planning on a sub...but if that's necessary then I will look into it. I'd like larger speakers but space is limited., even vertically, so taller speakers that have a large footprint is something I was hoping to avoid. I may finally get out to the Klipsch dealer tomorrow.

If I were to agree to a sub can you recommend one?

Edited by Sprags
  • Like 1

SVS makes a great all around sub. I am local to you I believe, about 20 minuets North of Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates. You are more than welcome to come by and audition my forte II if you would like. Then you can compare the forte to the Heresey.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to see if Claude will sell you the Super Heresy's that he has.... :emotion-19:

Ha! They are pretty freaking amazing!!

Everything I have is for sale for the right price. Yes, they work beyond my original intent. Sure I would sell them because I know how to make more of them if need be. I have too many speakers anyhow. More stuff on the way.......

BTW, Jim, I'm surprised you didn't mention the main system in my Avatar elsewhere (yet?). You only heard it 15 db below "reference." LOL.

Only two kinds of people in the world. Those who want horn bass and those who don't. LOL.

Edited by ClaudeJ1