Ideas for the new crossovers, active?

minermark

The speaker specs are listed here in the Pic.

Amps are covered, will use three. 70 watt or better Tube.

It's crossover ideas I need guys, what would you do?

Best idea and the one I go with gets a "Free" Bottle of the Duggans shipped to their door!

Edited by minermark

The Rane AC 23S is a pretty well regarded active crossover. Behringer has some options as well, but those aren't as highly regarded. MiniDSP is another option. I think it will ultimately be a matter of how dirty you want to get your fingers. All are capable, but some are easier to setup and configure than others (usually the more expensive ones).

Someone is going with some big toys! (Nice!!)

You might contact the manufacturer of the speakers.

I don't recall the name of the article (I have it at home and can send it later).

Mark1101 posted a PDF document about actives once. Seems that they have their own voicing and the voicing of one brand isn't the same as another.

Meaning, if you put a PEQ and something other in a EV active crossover....and the SAME value PEQ (and something other) in a different brand, they won't necessarily sound the same.

So, if you get the PEQ paramaters from the factory and don't use the active they voiced them with you won't have what they feel might be the best base starting point.

It was a very interesting article.

Whatever brand you end up with, do yourself a favor and consider upgrading to it's bigger brother that may have more outputs.

I've gone from a single Dx38 (2-in, 4 out) to two of them so now I can do more things.

Way around that is to drop the 4 outputs and jump to eight, even if I don't use all of them.

Maybe someone will beat me to posting that article (or finding it here)

From my quick read here, I can see ill be shipping the Duggans to someone, and from my read, contacting the factory sounds like a good start.

Thaddeus, called it pretty good as this is what iv been reading so far on the actives.

• Like 1

From my quick read here, I can see ill be shipping the Duggans to someone, and from my read, contacting the factory sounds like a good start.

Thaddeus, called it pretty good as this is what iv been reading so far on the actives.

Only had time to post this thread then my bud who is built like "Tarsan" shows up, speakers are now inside the cave, Casters are waiting, beer time.

The Rane AC 23S is a pretty well regarded active crossover. Behringer has some options as well, but those aren't as highly regarded. MiniDSP is another option. I think it will ultimately be a matter of how dirty you want to get your fingers. All are capable, but some are easier to setup and configure than others (usually the more expensive ones).

:emotion-21:

• Moderators

Coytee has some great point also, I was going to say active, but what would you do set all PEQ's flat ? That may not sound so great.

Active is so MUCH more than crossover points.

Probably the best thing to do and the hardest (imo)would be go active and also get a mic and learn how to test to see where your at. Depending on what the manufacture says.

I already have Duggans, this generous dude in California sent me some. :emotion-21:

Coytee has some great point also, I was going to say active, but what would you do set all PEQ's flat ? That may not sound so great.

Active is so MUCH more than crossover points.

Probably the best thing to do and the hardest (imo)would be go active and also get a mic and learn how to test to see where your at. Depending on what the manufacture says.

I already have Duggans, this generous dude in California sent me some. :emotion-21:

My quota of "Likes" was burned up before dawn :):emotion-21::emotion-21:

• Like 1

You'll need a 2 in-6 out active digital crossover if you plan to correct the midrange-tweeter time misalignment. The crossover frequencies stated are 300 Hz and 1.8 KHz, with a recommended high pass filter for commercial use of 30 Hz which I'd ignore for a home theater. Recommended crossover filter type (from several sources) are Linkwitz-Riley 24 dB/octave filters.

I wouldn't recommend an analog active crossover that cannot correct for time misalignment. EAW can recommend several manufacturers and models.

Crossovers may be implemented either as passive RLC networks, as active filters with operational amplifier circuits or with DSP engines and software. The only excuse for passive crossovers is their low cost. Their behavior changes with the signal level dependent dynamics of the drivers. They block the power amplifier from taking maximum control over the voice coil motion. They are a waste of time, if accuracy of reproduction is the goal.

Accurate Stereo performance tests Siegfried Linkwitz - October 2009

My experience is that you need something at least as good as a EV DC-One or better if you're laying out that kind of cash for the speakers themselves. Having something fairly low cost that will do pink noise EQ with a calibrated microphone (such as a DEQ2496) will help a great deal in setting levels and doing low frequency EQ below the room's Schroeder frequency.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

How would an ElectroVoice DC-One work 2in 6 out. One box.

It would work very well, IMHO.

My choice also, a big learning curve is in the future for your new rig Mark. I would suspect the EAW fiolks will have many good ideas for you...

There is a 2 x 18 sub that EAW matches to your system, the EAW 2B284C. :D Are your man cave/garage doors insulated?

Be very carefull in your journey, some of the above inmates who responded to this thread will help you spend all your savings and you will be going back to work to support your audio habit. :emotion-21:

I know and respect the knowledge of the forum, helping each other spend money is part of "The Therapy" ........or did I join the wrong cult? naw, im in the right place.

Just talked to john at salesbaron/tubejunkie in LA, checking to see I made it back ok, is that a nice guy or what?

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

You know you need active, now figure out which one. ChrisA will not steer you wrong. As I recall, after you get the crossover all set up and it still doesn't sound quite right, then you need to make sure your amplifiers are up to the task.

How would an Electrovoice DC-One work 2in 6 out. One box.

Though he might not ever need it, if he could get a 4 in, 8 out he might have more flexibility at his fingertips.

I would have never thought I would have needed 4-in, 8-out but, let's count.

2 input, 4 outs for Jubilee's

1 input, 2 outs for JubeScala

1 (or 2?) inputs, 2 outputs for subs

I would have never thought I'd burn up 4 inputs and 8 outputs but you can get there pretty darn quick.

You'll need a 2 in-6 out active digital crossover if you plan to correct the midrange-tweeter time misalignment. The crossover frequencies stated are 300 Hz and 1.8 KHz, with a recommended high pass filter for commercial use of 30 Hz which I'd ignore for a home theater. Recommended crossover filter type (from several sources) are Linkwitz-Riley 24 dB/octave filters.

I wouldn't recommend an analog active crossover that cannot correct for time misalignment. EAW can recommend several manufacturers and models.

Crossovers may be implemented either as passive RLC networks, as active filters with operational amplifier circuits or with DSP engines and software. The only excuse for passive crossovers is their low cost. Their behavior changes with the signal level dependent dynamics of the drivers. They block the power amplifier from taking maximum control over the voice coil motion. They are a waste of time, if accuracy of reproduction is the goal.

Accurate Stereo performance tests Siegfried Linkwitz - October 2009

My experience is that you need something at least as good as a EV DC-One or better if you're laying out that kind of cash for the speakers themselves. Having something fairly low cost that will do pink noise EQ with a calibrated microphone (such as a DEQ2496) will help a great deal in setting levels and doing low frequency EQ below the room's Schroeder frequency.

Chris

I would like to take this opportunity to strongly disagree with Chris!

What was it you said again, Chris?