your thoughts "Audio Nirvana" where is it ?

joessportster

Been thinking about posting this for awhile

So what is Audio Nirvana, Does it exist, if it does how do we

capture it.

My definition would have to be finding a sound quality that is ultimately

satisfying to the point I no longer look for an upgrade. I have gone

through many years, systems, components, and sources in search of my Grail

only to end up satisfied for a spell but ultimately getting bored and looking for

the next best thing

I recall growing up with FM radio and hearing a new song that would send

chills up my spine, no matter what system I heard it on. This rarely happens for me

now. Could it be I am more caught up in the system than I am the music.

Most FM is now more interested in talk than music, or they concentrate on

classics, Dont get me wrong I love my classics, but there not giving me that chill

that made me understand how music had the power to affect me physically

Better systems have afforded me the oppertunity to learn about the multiple

subteltes in the music, tone, pace transients, attack, and vocals ETC.... Thinking back

it seems the story was what affected me most.

I absolutely love my current setup, It provides the best overall musically satisfying

sound quality I have had to date, I use my 1500 albums downloaded lossless and can get

pulled into the music effortlessly, I no longer concern myself with analog vs digital.

Vinyl vs cd ETC...I just enjoy the sound

I really would love to find that chill again. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm pretty much there now with all horns "wall of sound" with Klipsch Pro and Danley DTS-10's for mains with Super Heresy surrounds. Will add time delay soon on mains. Next to try will be Linkwitz OB system X531 and CBT XL. Which each have their own unique properties.

The OB has 3D imaging, where the speakers dissapear. Still sweet spot.

The CBT is great for 2 ch. that has no sweet spot.

As to music I just got 120 CD's, new to me, so I will be busy listening for a while.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Audio nirvana for me is independent of the equipment and can be any song at anytime on any system. As long as I am making an emotional connection with that piece then it is nirvana.

Equipment upgrading and acquisition is nothing more than shopping or at the very least experimentation.

There is still obviously a mechanical component and not all systems are equal... but then again, all systems will never be equal.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much there now with all horns "wall of sound" with Klipsch Pro and Danley DTS-10's for mains with Super Heresy surrounds. Will add time delay soon on mains. Next to try will be Linkwitz OB system X531 and CBT XL. Which each have their own unique properties.

The OB has 3D imaging, where the speakers dissapear. Still sweet spot.

The CBT is great for 2 ch. that has no sweet spot.

As to music I just got 120 CD's, new to me, so I will be busy listening for a while.

How did you know which CDs you wanted ?? or do you just buy random good deals / lots in a genre of interest and keep what you end up liking ??

How did you know which CDs you wanted ?? or do you just buy random good deals / lots in a genre of interest and keep what you end up liking ??

I knew most of the artists, and had some of their other CD's, some I was taking a chance on, especially the Jazz stuff, so far so good. Out of about 30, there's only about 2 so far I don't care for. So, if I end up not liking as many as 10, I got them so cheap, it won't matter.

• Like 1

I knew most of the artists, and had some of their other CD's, some I was taking a chance on, especially the Jazz stuff, so far so good. Out of about 30, there's only about 2 so far I don't care for. So, if I end up not liking as many as 10, I got them so cheap, it won't matter.

Thanks claude, I dont see many deal on used music anymore.....................................did you hit ebay or craigslist ??

I recall growing up with FM radio and hearing a new song that would send chills up my spine, no matter what system I heard it on. This rarely happens for me now. Could it be I am more caught up in the system than I am the music.

Joe raises a very good point about interest in equipment versus interest in music. I started a thread about this issue a few weeks back and the "music" guys could not see the point of the "equipment" guys. Some people find tinkering, changing, modifying equipment to be of the highest order. It is the pursuit of perfection that is important. For others (see Schu's response) it is the music and could be played on a 1965 transistor radio if need be. One is not right and the other wrong, it is just a question of which aspect takes precedence.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 2

Also radio has changed. It has been diluted and homogenized to all play the same crap from coast to coast. Back in the day DJ's would find great music and bring it to you. Do you think a DJ now can bring music HE thinks is good to you? FAT CHANCE! This is 100% the problem with modern radio. Clear Channel owns how many radio stations??????

There are exceptions but few and far between.

• Like 1

Also radio has changed. It has been diluted and homogenized to all play the same crap from coast to coast. Back in the day DJ's would find great music and bring it to you. Do you think a DJ now can bring music HE thinks is good to you? FAT CHANCE! This is 100% the problem with modern radio. Clear Channel owns how many radio stations??????

+1

makes it hard to explore new music, I know about the pc based radio and I use it, It's just not the same and you are strapped to using a pc or mobile device to get access

The only exceptions I have seen are College radio stations. There is one in Ithaca (Ithaca College/.ICB; one in Rochester which is co-owned by the Public Broadcasting station - WRUR; and one in Syracuse owned by Syracuse University).

Thanks claude, I dont see many deal on used music anymore.....................................did you hit ebay or craigslist ??

Amazon has many music and book stores that sell at a big discount and usually the disk is like new. Generally I pay more for the shipping than the disk

The only exceptions I have seen are College radio stations. There is one in Ithaca (Ithaca College/.ICB; one in Rochester which is co-owned by the Public Broadcasting station - WRUR; and one in Syracuse owned by Syracuse University).

College radio and some public or community radio can be great we have KABF and it has some good shows.. But it can't compete with the heyday of radio.,

Amazon has many music and book stores that sell at a big discount and usually the disk is like new. Generally I pay more for the shipping than the disk

I have become an amazon aholic lately, I like the idea of buying in lots

Edited by joessportster

Part of getting older is that you have been there and done that. Every now and again I still get that buzz you refer to (chills you called it). It can happen with what you already have, the answer is not really in more/better gear. It just takes the right circumstances.

"Audio Nirvana" Im getting closer, sometimes it takes months, then all of the sudden, stacked sacals, two weeks later, Wham, the system from Hell pops on my screen.....at this time I guess id say im closer than iv ever been, and never done.

Part of getting older is that you have been there and done that. Every now and again I still get that buzz you refer to (chills you called it). It can happen with what you already have, the answer is not really in more/better gear. It just takes the right circumstances.

I fear you have nailed it............I believe the emotion tends to wear off with age, But when your mind is right the emotion comes rushing back over us.

I can recall looking at some girls when I was younger and just being floored by them, That doesn't happen anymore either which I am sure pleases my

wife :) ...................................................I guess this is just another thing age takes away from us :(

• Like 1

I think it is loving the sound in your room wether it is music or movies. When I first joined the forum, I was genre limited but, since being on the forum my taste in music has expanded as wallet contracts, lol. At this point I a very happy with my speakers, BDP, digital music selection, amp and other gear. My OCD is now on subwoofers which I alread have enough. :)