K-400 Horn Mods in LaScalas

eth2

I have read Forum members discussing horn modifications in different threads. I am wondering whether I should dampen the k-400 horns in my new/old LaScalas. They have the original drivers (and the original seals). If so, is there a consensus as to what is the best material to use to coat the horns?

Thanks!

Don't think you will gain anything but dynamat works well albeit pricey. Putty or clay would be cheaper but looks horrid and cheap. Klipsch used to sell the K401 for $50/ea which is the route I would take, but once those K400's are tightened up real good to the motorboard and back brace they are pretty solid. I have never heard one ring even at insane volume levels.

once those K400's are tightened up real good to the motorboard and back brace they are pretty solid. I have never heard one ring even at insane volume levels.
ditto! I never had a problem with them. If you wanted, you could lay a bag of shot or BBs on top of the horn. As long as the horn is tight to the front baffle and the brace is on the throat end, you should be good.

Bruce

Rope caulk is a cheap alternative that I have seen multiple people comment on here years ago, it is very easy to install as well................I personally never had a cause to use any damping material on the horns

Most report using it to mitigate horn ringing, which I am sure some can hear

That horn is harsh to a lot of folks....me included. I suffered from listening fatigue far to often. Next pair of clones I used the Altec horns and drivers as many here have done. Mucho mejor!

One of the xover guys said he could make the LS really sing....or I think he said sing :huh:

Edited by Tarheel

Thanks, Tarheel.

I am going to play with this for awhile as soon as Bob Crites gets my crossovers and tweeters back to me (should be tomorrow). I want these for outside use during the summer, so they will be playing at fairly high volume and with no interference from walls, ceilings, etc. I am psyched to hear them play! My goal is to see how my closest neighbor (about 1 mile) likes music.

• Like 1

If the screws, on the tweeters, holding the throat assembly to the horn lens (the four that pass through the magnet) are even an 1/8 turn too loose, the diaphragms will buzz/ring loud enough to be audible from across the room while playing certain material...not to mention, sound like crap (harsh) in the process.

• Like 1

One of the xover guys said he could make the LS really sing....or I think he said sing

They sure sounded pretty good last night. My room is well damped though (paneling, carpet, etc.)

Never heard about that loose screws/tweeter thing -- good info.

Like Seti said, if they're screwed to the motorboard, they don't ring. I wen't through all of that years ago -- adding caulk is a placebo effect. I know this because when I decided to remove it -- it sounded the same.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

GotHover's wooden tractix replacement------some of the best money I've ever spent.

I saw your photogaphs. Now THAT is the way to upgrade a LaScala. I'll bet is sounds great, since the mass break point of a K-33 woofer barely makes it to 300 Hz.

Now you just need a horn sub. below 100.

@Claude: everyone is smarter than Paul Klipsch. : )

There's a reason he had frequency response 4th on the list of things that matter most.

@Marvel: now that I'm back to just normal listening levels, the stock setting sounds perfectly fine. OTOH, I am running a coil in series with the K-55-V which is probably taking things down a little (yes, I'm smarter than PK too. : )

EDIT: The Jupiter capacitors, and the fact that they are certainly contributing more loss, has as much to do with what I'm experiencing as that coil

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

now that I'm back to just normal listening levels, the stock setting sounds perfectly fine.
There is something to be said about listening at levels that won't damage your hearing. The cleaner the reproduction, the easier it is to turn it up, because it sounds good. At least until you lose your hearing and have to turn it up even more.
  • Like 1