'New' custom Heresy's

Sprags

I joined this forum with the intent on learning more about Heresy speakers and possibly find a good source to buy them.

Another forum member that builds and restores speakers contacted me and we are communicating about what I would like to purchase from him....and along the way as I learn more the more questions I have. The forum member is helping me but I thought if I asked these questions in the forum it may help another new member.

Since Heresy's have been around for so long I have to believe that complete plans have to be available. If so can you tell me where I can find them. Are 'new' components to replace the old ones available? I found Crite's web site but it looks like not all of the components are there.

I've seen posts here where I think the members have substituted drivers for the originals. Doesn't this alter the speakers sound and performance?

I'm reading as much as I can to learn but I always think I'm missing things. Can anyone suggest web pages or articles that may help educate me so my new custom Heresy's are exactly what il want?

Thank you...Blake.

Blake, post your location or zipcode because everyone here usually has a line on heritage speakers including heresys for sale. stock heresys in mint condition sell in the range of $300 to 700 or 800 depending on the vintage plus condition and location.

do you prefer certain years of heresys ???

I didn't post my questions about where I can learn more about Heresy's with the hope of having someone else point out where I can buy them I already have a person in mind to buy them from since he's going to help make them the way I want them made.

Thanks anyway.

I didn't post my questions about where I can learn more about Heresy's with the hope of having someone else point out where I can buy them I already have a person in mind to buy them from since he's going to help make them the way I want them made.

Thanks anyway.

why don't you tell us exactly the way you want them to be? It has been my experience that people love to ask for advice without giving up much background information and that the only thing people love to do more than to ask for advice is to ignore it when it is offered. If you had a set of stock Heresy or Heresy ll or Heresy lll then you would have a platform to work from and to base your questions upon. I think that Bob's CS speaker is a brilliant design and would be an excellent speaker which would have qualities that none of the Heresy do. I also think that most people learn much more from their mistakes than ever they do from their successes I know that has been true for myself. I also know that most people do not have the stomach for experimenting and attempting to design on their own. You need to know what you want before you can set out to find it. So what is it that you want that any of the stock Heresy versions don't do for you? What is it about the Heresy (any version) that you like? Why start with a Heresy i the first place? Hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I never said I already know HOW I want them made. That's why I asked for links where I could learn more. I did however say that I know who I want to have make them for me. He's a member here on this forum and he's been good enough to send me photos of speakers he's already refurbished as well as speakers he's built from scratch. We've already spoken and I'm not going to change my mind just because someone else thinks that I said I already know everything when I didn't.

I'm looking for links to help me learn. After I do some research it will help me know the kinds of questions to ask. To be honest I listened to Heresy's at a used hifi store and liked them. I then visited an audio store and heard a brand new pair. I liked the sound. I then decided to try and buy a used pair. The few sellers I visited in the Chicago area wanted what I thought was a lot for speakers that would need the wood refurbished as well as speakers refoamed. Then a forum member offered to sell me a pair that are being re-veneered and refoamed for slightly more than the ones I checked. We also talked about building new ones with slightly different dimensions to improve the bass as well as using new drivers as opposed to used ones.

That's why I want to try and research more before I commit.

Edited by Sprags

You said "I'm reading as much as I can to learn but I always think I'm missing things" so I would take from that you are a little overwhelmed and that some focus would help you to find what you want. Ok so what do you want to focus on? You can get pissy or you can share what you think and people can then respond with what ever they think may help you. There is nowhere on the web where you will find such a rich resource of knowledge and information about Klipsch as you will here. You are in the right place.

Here are some links to posts I have made about Heresy modifications:

cabinet brace work

horn time alignment

compression driver modifications

stands for Heresy

damping material reference list

horn orientation

damping spider noise and basket noise

damping woofer mid radiation

I hope that some of this information is of interest and or use to you. Feel free to ask any question. If you share specifically what it is that you want to research then I am sure responses will come forth. Look at Bob's cs speakers as I mentioned in my first post they are a splendid design. The very last thing I would do is to build a new speaker with a set of K700/701 horns they are a very old and very tired and distorting horn when compared to quality modern horns. Two way in my opinion is a better option than a three way though you do need to use better quality drivers. Come back with questions and members will follow up with answers. Opinions are free. Best regards Moray James.

I have cut and pasted these links which did not post for some reason when and where they should have they are in the same order as my descriptions.

cabinet brace work

horn time alignment

stands for Heresy

horn orientation

Ok so the system here will not let me post these links for some reason. If you send me a pm I can send them to you.

Edited by moray james

cabinet brace work

horn time alignment

stands for Heresy

horn orientation

I tried again still not allowing me to post links

Edited by moray james

If anyone is trying to sell you Heresy speakers that need to be "re-foamed", they aren't selling Heresy speakers at all.

Several people seem to be trying to answer questions that you aren't necessarily asking, but we do enjoy helping when questions are both specific and relevant.

Perhaps the person you're already speaking with can be the most help to you, but the experience here is both broad and deep.

Welcome to the forums.

Sprags: would you be kind enough to see if you can get the links which I sent to you to attach to one of your posts as an edit? I just cannot get them to attach to a post for me for what ever reason normally they do attach to the post, could be my computer. The links may be of interest/use to others following your thread. Thanks and best regards Moray James.

If anyone is trying to sell you Heresy speakers that need to be "re-foamed", they aren't selling Heresy speakers at all.

Several people seem to be trying to answer questions that you aren't necessarily asking, but we do enjoy helping when questions are both specific and relevant.

Perhaps the person you're already speaking with can be the most help to you, but the experience here is both broad and deep.

Welcome to the forums.

That's what I was going to ask. It's paper not foam.

I've been researching speakers and considering designing and building them myself or at least designing them and contracting someone else to build them because I lack the tools and space....and then I see when on the DIY Audio forum they warn all the newbies against trying to do that for fear of not getting good results...yet here it seems as if mixing band matching drivers and experimentation is encouraged. Now I can see if a newbie picks out hardware that is way out that warning them might be good. Yet if someone picks a proven design to start from and then alters the driver selection slightly based on the driver specs. Sure...adjustments in the crossover design may be necessary but that seems more like what gets discussed here.

Years ago shortly after getting out of school I got a job at a hearing aid manufacturer in Chicago. Other engineers and I had discussions about speaker design and the idea to design and build my own was something I wanted to do. I'm a mechanical engineer and electronics baffles me....but speakers are mechanical devices driven by electricity so I think I can come up with a driver/cabinet configuration that would be a good start that can be refined by the crossover.

What do you guys thing?

Excuse the typing if there are mistakes. I trip over smartphone keyboards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I say give it a whirl if its something you've wanted to do anyway. I will say that having a base line or something tried and true to start with may not be a bad idea though, (as already suggested) even if only for comparative purposes. Another consideration may be stepping up to a Forte or Forte II, they've been quoted as being a "Heresy on steroids" and have the same basic footprint, just a bit taller. Also remember that even if you demo a set of speakers at a store or someone else's home they will likely not sound exactly the same in your home. So much so that I gave up demoing gear at any place but my room except to make sure it works of course if buying local. This is a hobby and if part of the fun for you is building your speakers then go for it, good luck!

Just a thought, but I would get a stock pair in the house (original, HII or HIII) so you have something to compare. Then change parts or modify to your heart's content. You need a baseline reference before you go off in another direction. It sounds like you want a slightly different Heresy...

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your quest.

Bruce

• Like 1

I agree with Marvel, and what Budman said. As I once never gave the stock Klipschorn a try, and right off the bat started with a modded pair that I didn't end up caring for. So know I am much further away from ever hearing the nice Khorn sound. I think the Heresy is a nice sounding speaker, which is my opinion. I too would start with a H1 and swap crossovers, horns, mods etc to see what I like best. What alot of folks where using on their Khorns I didn't care for regardless of their reviews. Good luck and remember to have fun with this hobby.

You might do well to make a short list of your "must have" qualities and characteristics. This will help you to make quick decisions about what components are worth looking ant and which you can stroke of your list.

A two way design with as large a horn as possible will provide smooth coherent sound with stable polar response to as low as possible (determined by the size of the horn). Manufacturers make recommendations for best use bandwidth for a horn but that does not mean you can't use them lower. Look at the Klipsch line and you see the K700 which has been used as low as 600 - 650 Hz in the distant past but normally used to 750 Hz and up. The K700/701 is a small mouth horn so you know that polar control at these crossover frequencies will be much less than ideal But as you have heard they can still turn a few tricks. So the larger horn that you can muster will go a very long way to better polar response. Try to make the horn and the woofer close to the same physical size if you can so radiation will be similar at crossover which is another big bonus in making a smooth uniform transition between drivers.

Faital Pro have a very nice elliptical horn with a 1.4 inch throat the LTH142 which you can drive with the HF14AT driver. This horn measures 13.8"x9.2" and would make a good match with a 12" woofer or an even better match with a ten or a pair of tens. A 10"woofer will make all the sound you could ever need in an apartment setting and it will play higher than a 12" woofer (ensuring a smooth overlap) and require less cabinet volume than a 12" woofer. Later a re work could see two 10" driver in a larger cabinet which will move almost 50% more air than a single 12" woofer can. High performance 10 inch drivers that still have good efficiency (94 -95db) can be found which will play well down to the range of 35 - 40 Hz.. Experiment with the crossover point between 650 and 900 Hz and use your ear to tell you where the best for you compromise is.

18 sound also have some interesting horns and drivers . Look to Beyma, 18 sound, B&C and others for ultra high quality/performance components all at least as good and better than those which Klipsch uses.

Just as a last note you might also try experimenting with not using a horn at all. You can achieve excellent results for near field monitors using the Karlson K-Tube rather than a horn. The K-Tube is a 1/4 wave long plain wave tube with a variable impedance aperture or slot which can be exponential, elliptical or hyperbolic in shape. You can make them out of rolled paper to experiment quickly and very inexpensively. The K-Tube makes for very simple execution of time alignment between the woofer and the high frequency driver. I an using a double cutaway version on a set of EV DH1A and the results are very good. I would be very hard pressed to consider using a horn again. I hope that these ideas are food for though to you and to other interested readers. Best regards Moray James.

Sprags:

Do you feel that building a speaker that is currently in production is cost effective?

My inclination is that it would not be.

If you want to DIY a speaker:

I would use a readily available and tested plan for a something special or unique that you can't just go out an buy in a store.

For example; build a Pi Speaker, Treols Graesens JBL L100 clone, or a Crites Cornscala kit, etc

If you want any of those, you have to build 'em!

/that's my 2 cents.

Regardless of that, best of luck on the project!

Edited by MAZ

third try to post previously mentioned links

tweeter and mid diaphragm alignment

compression driver mods

Heresy brace work

Heresy and custom stands

Damping material reference

Heresy driver configuration standard and vertical

Spider talk

Dealing with woofer interference with mid

Best regards Moray James

OK so no luck can anyone tell me how I should be posting a link? I have copied and pasted the link and I have cut and pasted the link into a post here and neither method is working. I never had any problems posting a link in the past. Any assistance would be most welcome.

Edited by moray james