Finally got my wife on board!

Cosmic_surfer

After starting a claim with Ebay, the seller of the SC-65 told me that he had left the receiver with FedEx, and that it had been put aside on accident and not sent. He assures me that it is on the way, and tracking appears to have updated to support that claim. Still if the receiver is not functional, he will get negative and I will continue forward with the claim.

I decided to take a few photos to show where my speakers were located in relation to the couch and TV. I know I will get a lot of groans and advice on how I should properly set up my theatre, but sadly space is a major factor, and with a support beam behind the couch (see photo) the choices are very limited. Still I think it will be a very enjoyable experience!

post-58350-0-39420000-1406403902_thumb.j

post-58350-0-49020000-1406403920_thumb.j

post-58350-0-34500000-1406403962_thumb.j

post-58350-0-67940000-1406403948_thumb.j

Edited by Cosmic_surfer

Don't pay attention to reviews. The DSP/MCACC are excellent and can deliver a great sound for music and movies. Run the speakers as small and you will have all the power you need. My SC 35 is rated 140 watts but it has been tested to swing up to 270 watts. So, most likely you will swing some extra watts if need. I have used my 100 watt Sony avr on my system and it did fine. Why a different mic was recommended, I am not sure. The mic's for most avr's are not the best on the market but, they are calibrated to work with that particular avr.

Edited by derrickdj1

Can you return it? While it's not a bad receiver based off reviews, the VSX Pioneer receiver I owned (not exactly sure the model but it was one of the top VSX models) was lacking in power. I sold it and snagged a SC-35, the difference was huge!

It might work just fine for your listening levels but when a receiver can be had like this one for roughly the same price, it might be worth returning the VSX-70.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Now if you can stretch your budget to $799 (I know it's a large jump) you can pick up a SC-1523-k (MSRP $1,699) with 9 channels of D3 amplification. D3 amplifiers will likely be the most power you will ever need.

Just wanted to toss out some options. If you keep the VSX-70, I am sure you will love it. Pioneer (while it lasts) is by far and away favorite receiver brand. I grabbed that SC-1523-k off amazon and I should have it in a day or two.

Edited by K5SS

Don't pay attention to reviews. The DSP/MCACC are excellent and can deliver a great sound for music and movies. Run the speakers as small and you will have all the power you need. My SC 35 is rated 140 watts but it has been tested to swing up to 270 watts. So, most likely you will swing some extra watts if need. I have used my 100 watt Sony avr on my system and it did fine. Why a different mic was recommended, I am not sure. The mic's for most avr's are not the best on the market but, they are calibrated to work with that particular avr.

read the bottom Derrick. He said he is missing the mic.
  • Like 1

Yea... My wife is saying maybe we should return it and get something a little better used. I have my eyes on an integra dtr 50.3 as well as a pioneer sc-07 or sc-37. We will see where this journey takes us. Either an elite or integra would be fine with me, both have excellent track records.

Yea... My wife is saying maybe we should return it and get something a little better used. I have my eyes on an integra dtr 50.3 as well as a pioneer sc-07 or sc-37. We will see where this journey takes us. Either an elite or integra would be fine with me, both have excellent track records.

If you can bump up to one of the SC models with the D3 amps you will find it is a huge improvement. BTW ignore Shakey, he has receiver issues.

BTW ignore Shakey, he has receiver issues.

I don't have issues with receivers. They have their place just like a Bose Wave Radio. Both are utilitarian in nature.

Shakey

Yeah, that's right, receivers totally suck. That's why I use an Onkyo 818 with Audyssey XT/32 to drive my 2.1 all horn Pro setup and blows away anything I've ever had before it. Watts don't mean crap when you have 110 db/Watt. efficiency and never use even a full 1 W. And the sound has blown away every seasoned audiophile ever to sit in the sweet spot listening to their favorite music. I won't even mention the male-neutering sub-bass output.

I mean why have total system integration from input to output, including room acoustics, extremely short wiring, great grounding, very high signal to noise ratios, right?

It's much better to have ground loops, longer cables, filters, impedance mismatches, etc. cobbling together 50 year old signal and amplifier technology......................NOT

I'm an Audyssey fan, but I hear good things about Pioneer's Room EQ.

"It isn't so much that liberals ("audiophiles") are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so."..........Ronald Reagan

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 3

Well I have heard that music is the true test of any audio equipment. But I posted this in home theatre and not in 2 channel. I enjoy a good movie or video game loads more than just cranking tunes. My goal is a very enjoyable home theatre experience, decent music would be a VERY distant 2nd priority. If I was worried about my 2 channel listening pleasure, I would be looking at mcintosh equipment...

• Like 1