Paint or varnish Palladium

Legigi7

Hi guys,

I am on the verge of buying Palladium P37 speakers. Unfortunatly I cannot choose the color and would like to change it.

Any idea how I should proceed? Should I first sand the wood with fine grits or can I apply directly paint or varnish?

Should I use paint, varnish or other product?

Thanks for your help as this would me my first time and I do not want to ruin my Palladium.

Cheers

Legigi7

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new speakers. we would all love to see photos.

Please proceed with caution!

It sounds like you are not comfortable or experienced with finishing or refinishing. Let me be blunt: this is not a beginner project. If you are changing the color, many mistakes are possible (even for someone more experienced). Further caution, even if the results are acceptible, you will have decreased their re-sale value considerably. Folks are very particular about cosmetics on expensive speaker cabinets.

Good luck and maybe you can learn to live with their current finish,

-Tom

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

Thank you for your warm welcome and for your messages.

I do not care about the resale price. I am not a beginner in working woods but never done it on speakers.

Is there any product that could modify the colour of the wood (or make it darker) without sanding the wood.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I am on the verge of buying Palladium P37 speakers. Unfortunatly I cannot choose the color and would like to change it.

Any idea how I should proceed? Should I first sand the wood with fine grits or can I apply directly paint or varnish?

Should I use paint, varnish or other product?

Thanks for your help as this would me my first time and I do not want to ruin my Palladium.

Cheers

Legigi7

What color do you want and where are you located?

No matter the finish you are looking for, there are only three steps:

1. Remove all speakers, cones, feet, wiring.

2. Belt Sander with no less than 36 grit, this should show results pretty quick.

3. Kmart has a sale on flat black this week.

GLWF (good luck with finish)