technics sl1200 Mk ll

jcmusic

It may need to go to a repair shop for threading the wires, unless you feel good at it.

You could try contacting and ask where you could send it:

www.NeedleDoctor.com

Other parts can be purchased from various sources like this one:

http://www.djparts.net/technics-parts.html

I got two in a dj case, sold one for the cost and still have my free one.

Bruce

Carried away? By what? The simple fact that a side-by-side comparison using the same ancillary equipment reveals a very close run if one is comparing perceived performance per dollar. Financial investment is NOT always the sure road to (subjectively...let me rephrase...highly subjectively) "better" performance. After all these years I am glad I have arrived at that realization.

Lets's use another ubiquitous yet extremely tiring example: interstage coupling capacitors in components. I have built numerous line stage preamps and amplifiers where, early on, I wanted the "best" (meaning expensive) passive parts I could afford, only to find, even after many hours of so-called break-in, subsequent performance was not acceptable. A given circuit has neither a clue nor could care less how much money the designer spent on any single part of said circuit -- whether it be a plate load or cathode bypass resistor, or an electrolytic or film capacitor. It is up to the designer to make a subjective call on what sounds most suitable in that given design -- which simply does not in the least necessarily equate to cost. I have found cases where the more expensive part was what happened to sound good, so that's what I used. Another case, where, to my own surprise, the best sounding capacitor in one small single-ended amp I made was the cheapest capacitor I had, though I had others from which to choose in the same value and voltage tolerance that were far more expensive.

That Technics table is a wonderful deck; the one my wife got me as a gift was totally NOS! Perfect. I love it both for how well it is made and its excellent performance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with KAB being recommended for rewiring your tonearm. Mr. Barrett is a superb gentleman and does superb work on the Technics SL-1200 family. I use the Technics SL-1200's upscale brother, the SP-25 broadcast turntable with an Audio-Technica ATP 16-T transcription tonearm and use the Pickering XV 15/625 cartridge with mine as main cartridge. Superb sounding, and broadcast dependable.