Need ideas on speaker connectors on Pioneer SX-1250

jimjimbo

Just bought a beautiful Pioneer receiver, SX-1250, awesome condition, 165 watts/channel. However, as is the case with many of these vintage components, the speaker connectors on the rear are the sketchy spring loaded types that look like they will only accept a maximum of 14 awg. There is no way I'm hooking up any of my Heritage speakers with 14 awg wire....Any suggestions on how to modify these connectors or other thoughts? Thanks.

post-12530-0-53480000-1405997247_thumb.j

post-12530-0-02280000-1405997372_thumb.j

jimjimbo,

#14 gauge wire will support 1800 watts, so there is no need for larger wire unless you have some really long runs to take care of. If you have to have a larger wire, pin connectors are your friend. I run silver plated #10 gauge wire and my brother in law runs #8 on his K-Horns. There is no sonic improvement, it is only a bragging right thing. There is nothing wrong with running lamp cord.

Roger

• Like 1

I'd be careful how you use these adapters.

Ask me how i KNOW? I had the red and black speaker wire at the amp touch. :( A little heat shrink tubing would have saved it.

I do prefer a soldered wire as it seems easier to place into the amp speaker out out, If I had a preference for one of the other adapters I would use heat shrink tubing to mark and PROTECT the speaker wires

Solder 1/2" inch of 14 G on each 12 G wire to connect to receiver.

Have done this and it works.

Can't say what I want, total brain fart??? Pull a few strands off the #12 G wire so it will fit the spring loaded speaker wire connector.

Then solder the end of the wire. If you use just the smallest dab of solder you can it makes a nice looking connector and works well. Better then any connector to fit adapt a larger wire to smaller clip wire connector. I'm sure there are better but I don't know of them

091-300_HR_0.jpg
Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

Just bought a beautiful Pioneer receiver, SX-1250, awesome condition, 165 watts/channel. However, as is the case with many of these vintage components, the speaker connectors on the rear are the sketchy spring loaded types that look like they will only accept a maximum of 14 awg. There is no way I'm hooking up any of my Heritage speakers with 14 awg wire....Any suggestions on how to modify these connectors or other thoughts? Thanks.

attachicon.gifPioneer SX-1250 back end.JPG

attachicon.gifPioneer SX-1250 back end right.JPG

I saw someone else ask if you could fit banana plugs in there, and the answer is obviously no, but yeah, see if you can replace them with the twisty posts that you stick nanner plugs in! I use nanner plugs all around!

Whoops... I forgot to add that I put electrical tape on one of the ends to prevent shorts. Taz was right about the danger but I was lucky enough to notice that they might touch before I turned on the receiver.

I was using tape and did not realize it had come loose. Thus I now support the use of Heat shrink tubing.

"Why not just use your wire strippers to reduce your ends to 14 gauge wire, then solder the ends to prevent shorts.

No need to buy fancy connectors"

I Agree with this not buying fancy connectors.

Edited by Taz