Space Mountain

Sprags

I'm almost certain we didn't go in 1975. The history states that it opened January 15, 1975 and normally we went to Florida during Christmas holiday. I was in HS, my brother was in grade school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that Disney was advertising Space Mountain as a new attraction for the winter of 1974-75; therefore, the ride may have been operational during Christmas of 1974 even though the 'official date' has been documented as January 15, 1975.

post-36163-0-50560000-1406737103_thumb.p

That could very well be but certain events in my life make me want to believe it was earlier. I turned 16 in May 1974. My father was was off from work due to an injury in workplace accident in 1973. He was finally able to go back to work in 1974. I traveled to Germany during Easter vacation 1974. Summer of 74 we traveled out west and typically only went on one vacation per

year. So it seems that too many things happened from 1973 to

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Space Ship Earth! I'll bet that's it. You rode through it and there was a couple futuristic scenes. Not really a roller coaster though.

Carl,

Funny you should mention Spaceship Earth. Several years ago we went to Disneyworld and my wife said she wanted to ride Space Mountain. I was amazed as she hates rollercoasters. She said her mother had ridden it and loved it. So on we went. Within seconds she realized it was a rollercoaster and was screaming at me to make them stop the ride. Yea...right. Anyway, her mother had meant Spaceship Earth. Oh well.

• Like 1

Space Ship Earth is the globe at Epcot, no comparison to Space Mountain and Epcot was not open the first years of the Magic Kingdom. The combination of Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, etc. is actually called Disney World. The space flight simulator was called Mission to Mars if I recall. Growing up in FL, I am sure I have been to DW 30+ times. It always seems to have something new to offer along with the prices! I liked it as a child, it is also a popular date place. Since I went as a child I also have gone with he nieces and now my children.

• Like 1

We went several times when I was little as we lived in Daytona Beach at the time. I remember a Monsanto ride you went through that had smells that matched the scenery (orange groves for example) but I don't recall any roller coaster type space ride prior to Space Mountain. Mr. Toads wild ride, and the Peter Pan theme ride took you through different scenes but they certainly weren't space oriented.

I'm not old enough to know first hand what agent orange smelled like...

Edited by mungkiman

The only one I remember prior to Space mountain that had a space theme was not really a roller coaster type ride. You ended up in a room and were in a simulated blast off. The seats shook then the bottom cushions sank simulating g-forces. I don't recall the name of the ride though.

Yes that Disneyland attraction was originally called Rocket to the Moon and later changed to Flight to the Moon it later closed and reopened as Mission to Mars with slight changes and has been closed for quite a while now. Also for the confusion yes this ride was always a stationary simulator with some slight movement, while Space Mountain has always been a roller coaster.

It changed several times but this was it's early original look which is like the poster Schu posted

moonrocket_1959.jpg

Edited by Rich_Guy

Yes that Disneyland attraction was originally called Rocket to the Moon and later changed to Flight to the Moon it later closed and reopened as Mission to Mars

I've never been to Disneyland, just Disneyworld.

Now that you mentioned it isn't Disney land in California, and Disney world in Florida.

Now that you mentioned it isn't Disney land in California, and Disney world in Florida.

Yep, I've never been to Disney World but I live very close to Disneyland. Had to of gone there at least once a year growing up. About ten years ago me and a girlfriend had annual passes and we went there quite a few times that year but that was the last time I've been there. At about a hundred dollars a person to get in now I probably won't be going there again.

I went to Disney world when I was about 6 or 7. I don't remember a whole lot, but space mountain and a few other rides. Went to Disney land when I was 15 that was a good time.

Was the good time because you remember the rides or was it because you had already discovered girls wearing bikinis?

Edited by Fjd