How important is a center channel?

swa99a

Interesting and timely topic for me. Until my recent rediscovery of all things vintage audio, I have been using the old KT THX three speaker set-up in my living room. Also a big Klipsch SW. Have the side speakers that fire both directions but no good way to mount them in this house. All in all I have just taken this set-up for granted as its been great. Since then I have taken up refoaming various speakers that I have found for next to nothing because of the foam issue and redoing them. In the process of testing various speakers and acquiring some vintage equipment I relocated the KT's to another room as a 2.1 set-up for music. They are great until I can find some walnut Chorus II's since I have developed an interest in them. I ended up having a small three speaker set-up and a two speaker set up (for music) in the living room of various repaired speakers (semi-tolerant spouse so far).

About that time I read an article on a photography blog by a guy who is also an audiophile, but who isn't big on TV. He was saying that two channel is how he likes to listen to TV. So about that time I tried two speakers with the TV and I would have sworn that three speakers were in use. I then began testing this on friends and family members. Everyone was fooled by the phantom sound, and would have to walk up to the unused center speaker to prove to themselves it wasn't being used. Further experimentation is giving me the impression that it depends on what you are watching/listening to. Movies are generally better with the 3 speaker set-up, regular mindless TV is often better with just two. I'm sure this is old hat to many, but has been very interesting to me-and a lot of fun with the friends and family who have been the guinea pigs in the experiments.

Edited by dbomberger

Two good speakers are better than 3 mediocre ones. 3 good ones are best IMO, but everything needs to match sound wise. The first time I tried the multi-channel thing I was using a RC-7 with Fortes. Not a great fit and the Fortes sounded better by themselves. But if you get everything matching and properly set up it is great for music and movies.

• Like 1

To DaBomb,

Welcome! Like you, I have read a lot of posts about this/these issues, too. I surely am NO EXPERT, so I offer only opinion:

• People (typically) have strong opinions at just about every point along the continuum. You know, the way they do it is about as perfect as is possible (perfection occasionally actually being possible)!
  • The passion is fun for the participants. Toe it/them in just 1/3 of a degree more, move the left speaker back 1/4" and, voila! From barely tolerable to (near) perfection.
  • For that particular spot/area of listening. Of course, be somewhere else in the room, or just passing through (in a large-enough area that allows it), and the result may be very different.

To go to all the effort and various gymnastics to attempt to produce a wonderful "sweetspot"/area that could be produced very simply in reality.

My question is why (outside of the fun of the effort and the discussions)? I mean, how often--if at all--can a good center (timbre and volume-matched) NOT enhance the delivery of primarily vocals? Literally, providing good horizontal and vertical delivery in the center of the action.

Could be that my opinion reflects an insufficient immersion in the technicalities and equipmental possibilities, much less the joys of the endeavor.

Could also be that my "senior" ears appreciate not having volume attempting to compensate for clarity wherever I am in a room.

It is likely that some remedial instruction will follow this post, but, that is the fun and the profit, right?

• Like 1

I have been through this a few times now and every time I regret spending money on a center channel every time , I would rather put more money into the main speakers .

I now have a separate 5.1 icon setup with a SVS Sub and AVR and then my separate 2Channel setup this works out just great for me ....

Wow, This a pretty debatable topic, I only ask because when I was running a center channel vs the Phantom did sound a little more crisp. Maybe this was do to lack of height of the center speaker. Any thought of how hi or low a center speaker should be? And also is 3 rf62ii better than 2 rf 62ii and a rc 62ii ?

Wow, This a pretty debatable topic, I only ask because when I was running a center channel vs the Phantom did sound a little more crisp. Maybe this was do to lack of height of the center speaker. Any thought of how hi or low a center speaker should be? And also is 3 rf62ii better than 2 rf 62ii and a rc 62ii ?

just make sure its pointing at you , ear height would be good but hard to do sometimes

3 rf62ii better than 2 rf 62ii and a rc 62ii ? if you can make it work

Edited by A1UC

It seems to me that the size of the theater room and intended coverage area would come into play, where things like Haas and precedence effect become important. Those of us with smaller sweet spots to accommodate can get great results with a phantom center, but bigger rooms with more listening positions to the left and right pretty much demand a center speaker.

• Like 2

I really enjoy my center for movies and games, especially since they match my fronts. When It comes to music I generally find myself kicking back to two channel. When I had my first set of Klipsch speakers, a set of Heresys, I had them toed in, and I got what felt an excellent phantom center.

What are your current speakers? For me, I didn't HAVE to have a center but my funds allowed me to get one. If all you can swing is just some mains, there's nothing wrong with that, especially since they are Klipsch =)

It seems to me that the size of the theater room and intended coverage area would come into play, where things like Haas and precedence effect become important. Those of us with smaller sweet spots to accommodate can get great results with a phantom center, but bigger rooms with more listening positions to the left and right pretty much demand a center speaker.

Seems to be the best answer.

If most of the seating area is in the center of the room, you can use a phantom center. Once you get away from the center of the room, you hear the speaker that you're closer to and loose the phantom center effect.

• Like 1