Wisdom needed...difficulty with an ebay purchase....

jimjimbo

Most of these old boat anchors are pushing 40+ years old and they were never designed to last even that long.

I bought my Sansui 8080 and then a 9090 in Yokosuka japan in the 70s, both gave up 15 years ago, when a transformer goes, it's a pretty penny to replace if you can find one.

I know we all get attached to fine looking audio equip, but i learned a long time ago, the deck is stacked against you owning one of these.

Tuners, preamps and amps seem to be MY TICKET, the days of "All In One" have passed. IMO.  

I thought transformer failures (besides due to manufacturing defects) are mainly due to overheating or caps going bad.  If you keep good caps and everything in spec this would be unlikely to happen?

Anyway, I would be looking at a rebuild and not just a repair.  If you are going to keep it go "all in"!

• Like 1

Did the seller slip into the item description "as is?"  

Nope, and I read the listing several times....

The situation has been resolved.  I remained calm and reasonable in my approach, never threatened anything, but mildly implied some action to the seller.  They have made a fair reimbursement offer for repairs, and I accepted and will keep the unit.

Thank you all for your recommendations and advice, I appreciate it very much.

I'm glad to hear that this was resolved.  

Just wait until you sell a piece of "vintage" gear and the buyer is displeased and you agree to take it back.  

Later, you see that the unit has been opened and several "hard to find" good parts have been removed and replaced with several "bad" parts.  This happens more often than you would think.

The situation has been resolved. I remained calm and reasonable in my approach, never threatened anything, but mildly implied some action to the seller. They have made a fair reimbursement offer for repairs, and I accepted and will keep the unit.

Cooler head prevailed.  That's great news.

The situation has been resolved.  I remained calm and reasonable in my approach, never threatened anything, but mildly implied some action to the seller.  They have made a fair reimbursement offer for repairs, and I accepted and will keep the unit.

Just wait until you sell a piece of "vintage" gear and the buyer is displeased and you agree to take it back.  

Later, you see that the unit has been opened and several "hard to find" good parts have been removed and replaced with several "bad" parts.  This happens more often than you would think.

That is sick!  What kind of piece of krap person does that kind of stuff!?  I guess you need to take lots of pictures inside and out before you sell something.  

That is sick! What kind of piece of krap person does that kind of stuff!?

The same type that will keep your nice piece of gear you sent him and send you back a DOA POS of the same model.  Always take inside and out pics and record serial numbers.

That is sick!  What kind of piece of krap person does that kind of stuff!?  I guess you need to take lots of pictures inside and out before you sell something.  

You can also get a special "tape" that you can place across the removable outside case.  If the tape is removed, torn or broken "no" refund should be offered.  It is prudent to put this condition in your ebay listing.

Sounds like you got a decent resolution. As a general matter, we shouldn't overlook leaving strong, negative feedback when warranted. Buyers like me check feedback and will pass on a purchase when the seller has any amount of recent negative comments which are of substance. Congrats on your settlement.

Most of these old boat anchors are pushing 40+ years old and they were never designed to last even that long.

I bought my Sansui 8080 and then a 9090 in Yokosuka japan in the 70s, both gave up 15 years ago, when a transformer goes, it's a pretty penny to replace if you can find one.

I know we all get attached to fine looking audio equip, but i learned a long time ago, the deck is stacked against you owning one of these.

Tuners, preamps and amps seem to be MY TICKET, the days of "All In One" have passed. IMO.  

I thought transformer failures (besides due to manufacturing defects) are mainly due to overheating or caps going bad.  If you keep good caps and everything in spec this would be unlikely to happen?

Anyway, I would be looking at a rebuild and not just a repair.  If you are going to keep it go "all in"!

I have always been impressed with the younger crowd keeping and running this type of "all in one" equip, wish they never quit making it, likely id be running it now if that were the case.

After getting quotes on my 8080 wile running my 9090, i never got it repaired, then the 9090 went out, kind of gave me a hint i better look into seperate componets.

Been happy ever since, and sold both on the Bay for like $25 bucks and $80 bucks shipping!

Not to rain on anyone's parade, id say keep running your goodies till they die.

I am also pleased that the OP was able to come to an acceptable resolution.  From the detail provided in the initial post, I had believed that the OP may have been too vague in describing what he wanted as settlement since he did not define specifics and left it open-ended for the seller to counter-offer and determine what the OP may have been getting at as settlement.   

In addition, by floating an open-ended idea of taking it to a tech for an estimate could have resulted in a situation where the seller would have been further ahead to take the gear to the landfill or donate it for a tax write-off.

Overall, I don’t think there is a ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution to navigating these types of issues.  However, I have learned to quickly figure out what type of settlement may be a win/win for both parties and present specifics and why. 

In my experience, I found that open-ended complaints with vague settlement requests only seemed to put a seller into defense mode. 

In other situations, I have not brought up an issue and just moved on for various reasons of my own where I determined it was not worth the time and hassle I would need to invest.    

Begin rant:

The following overall observations are not to be construed as observations related to the OP or the seller in question; however, many of my acquaintances that sell collectable pieces of electronics have quit selling on eBay as electronics sales have resulted in some of their worst experiences selling on eBay.

There just doesn’t seem to be a happy medium when the possibility exists to being exposed to an unscrupulous person.  In the past, eBay used to be much more seller-friendly and it was impossible for a buyer to get any help when they were wronged.   In these situations you could identify many ‘seller scams’ out there and it was not hard for an inexperienced, or naïve, buyer to get caught in one of the scams.

Now it seems that eBay has shifted the other way where it is very difficult for an honest seller to succeed in a dispute given the current eBay and PayPal policies.  As a result, many ‘buyer scams’ have resulted where many sellers get caught in the scams, hence the perceived defensiveness of sellers.

As Boxx has very astutely stated and recognized, it has become very easy for buyers/customers to complain that something does not function properly and the seller gets the return and finds the good parts were replaced with bad or a piece of gear switched out with junk in situations where there is not enough information to positively identify the item you sent.   If fact you can find many boasting “how to” articles and blogs on how “buyers can scam” and “how sellers can scam” on eBay, which I find rather disgusting, although I'm not certain that a few are not just 'tongue-in-cheek.'  They could at least disguise it as a "be aware of this trap" communication.

It happens outside of electronics sales too as a while back one of my previous girlfriends got burned trying to sell an expensive authentic, unopened bottle of perfume.  The buyer filed a claim that the perfume was not authentic and even though she could document the history, including her original purchase from a reputable department store,  the decision sided with the buyer and the item the ex received back was a half empty bottle of perfume that was not the one she sent.  In this situation, this unscrupulous buyer got the genuine authentic perfume and got their money back.

I guess that it should not surprise anyone to know the world is filled with bad people, and it does seem that many of the policies, no matter who the policies side with, just result in eBay openly welcoming people to exploit them.  Since many perceive eBay as the world's premier international e-commerce portal, it seems that unscrupulous people flock to eBay to prey and profit on the naïve and uninformed (both buyers and sellers).

I suspect that some of this may be a result of being a publicly traded company with an ongoing drive for increased revenue, where eBay needs to strive to keep activity levels high so shareholding investors are impressed.   As a result, from the information we keep hearing about, it seems that they very rarely punish members that are in direct violation of, or have circumvented, the policies as it would be too costly to them to properly enforce.

Unfortunately, I have found that with the current policies in place, if you sell on eBay long enough most will learn that not every buyer on eBay is honest and forthright, and that these abusers have found ways to abuse eBay and PayPal policies in their favor.   

Oh well, I guess not really much different from the buyer getting trapped under the old eBay policies that favored the seller, just now the other side of the transaction.

End Rant

I have always been impressed with the younger crowd keeping and running this type of "all in one" equip, wish they never quit making it, likely id be running it now if that were the case.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. The AVR vertical is alive and kicking - it's the audio snobs (not directed at you) that turn their noses at such devices. Somehow vintage receivers are amazing audio finds and best bang for your buck (in spite of failing components), but new receivers are considered garbage and should never be used for a "serious" 2-channel rig.

I've tried to find fault in my Onkyo's audio, but I simply cannot. Then again, I run a $20 wimpy 15W class D amp in my 2-channel rig so I'm a mere plebeian.   :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I don't quite understand what you mean here. The AVR vertical is alive and kicking - it's the audio snobs (not directed at you) that turn their noses at such devices. Somehow vintage receivers are amazing audio finds and best bang for your buck (in spite of failing components), but new receivers are considered garbage and should never be used for a "serious" 2-channel rig.

I've tried to find fault in my Onkyo's audio, but I simply cannot. Then again, I run a $20 wimpy 15W class D amp in my 2-channel rig so I'm a mere plebeian.   :rolleyes:

The OP described his purchase as a "a vintage Pioneer receiver" the same 70s type stuff i was reffering to, no AVR was discussed.

Current AVR class recievers are in a class by themselfs and not 30 years old.

In fact if you think about it, there are no 30 year+ old AVR(s) they have not been around that long.

If you've never heard a Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1050, or SX-950, played through a pair of Heritage speakers, you owe it to yourself to do so.  Beautiful rich sound, excellent detail, and tone controls that are worthwhile using.  I don't use them for the radio sections, only for the pre-amp, amp, and speaker configuration options.

post-12530-0-52500000-1408558211_thumb.j

If you've never heard a Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1050, or SX-950, played through a pair of Heritage speakers, you owe it to yourself to do so.  Beautiful rich sound, excellent detail, and tone controls that are worthwhile using.  I don't use them for the radio sections, only for the pre-amp, amp, and speaker configuration options.

attachicon.gifPioneer SX-1250 front.JPG

I think hugeroost has at least one of each.

• Moderators
After getting quotes on my 8080 wile running my 9090, i never got it repaired,

An 8080, It was my first real receiver and I loved it, gave it to a relative when the front light went out and have been sorry since.

I use a old HK 930 with Cornwalls and love the sound.

With SOME of the old receivers the parts used are as good as some of the separates today. They at least sound like it to me.