PC troubleshooting from afar

USNRET

Windows 7 64 bit nothing intentionally changed but could have had an auto update priot to issue beginning

Issue: PC would not wake up from sleep mode using mouse, keyboard or power button. I would cycle the power switch then press the power button and th ecomputer would "resume Windows"

Before I could get to the trousbleshooting steps I was researching on line the wife returns from vacation and powers down the PC now I got nadda. Nadda I tell you except for the small led is lit on the motherboard. Checked all connections from power supply to components but nadda.

Thoughts? Power supply? Corrupted ACPI?

Hey, a PC should last more than 10 years right?

Computers are disposable these days , unless its something special I wouldn't bother  .

Hey are you not the guy  that spent 10k plus on audio gear this year ? Go buy a 500.00 PC  :P  

All kidding aside I would start with the PSU check it

Edited by A1UC

OK, I'll just throw this out there....you might also have a bad power switch....it happens, especially if you are cycling it multiple times every day for 10 years.

That I can check but I rarely turn this thing off and typically only power cycle for a recovery or someone powered it down; maybe once a month. I'll pick up a new PSU from the local rip off place at noon. Hopefully it won't fix it and then I'll be approved by the CFO to build a new one. My SSDs are relatively new so a MB/CPU combo, ram and new DVD drive whilst using the newly acquired PSU. Just need to make sure the new MB has serial port for my Audyssey Pro cal kit.

Ok... you didn't say if it was/is a laptop or desktop. I would guess a PS, though. However, if it's a desktop, look at the little capaitors on the motherboard. If they are bulging or leaking, it's probably the end of the MB. What brand is this?

Bruce

Desktop as stated earlier.

Homemade Asus MB Antec power supply

Next I will unplug all components and see if PSU fan will run. My thought is if PSU fan does not run with everything disconnected it has to be PSU. If I change PSU I will change out CMOS battery.

Does the power supply have a dedicated on/off switch (separate from the mobo on/off tied to the front of the case)
Yes, I had to cycle that switch then the front case switch to bring it out of sleep.

anything else on that circuit? tripped GFCI outlet maybe? Otherwise it's looking like a power supply issue. If it were motherboard, RAM, or CPU, or PCI device issue you should at least get a boot up and beep codes. If hard drive, you would get POST and then a drive error. If OS then you would get boot, POST, and BSOD (or nothing at all).

I am running out to the two places we have available (Altex and Best Buy) to pick up whatever is available. According to web site a Corsair CX750M is supposed to be in stock.

Michael, I know I have power input to the PSU.