SOLD La Scala pair with full factory grills

tromprof

i want them , but would not be able to buy them tell around christmas time ..You are 8 hours away from me anyway ..So if ya still have them by then ....Such a nice looking pair of speakers ...

I would hope they will be long gone by then, but you can always write a letter to Santa. Maybe he will store them for you.  :P

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

I had a very nice older gentleman who came by this morning to listen to them. He has a fair amount of nice equipment but had heard a pair of La Scala 40 years ago and wanted to see if they sounded as good as he remembered. He was very impressed, so impressed in fact he said they would be wasted on him since his hearing wasn't doing so well. He told me to try to sell them to someone younger who would appreciate them more.  :lol:  Told me if they didn't sell in a couple of weeks he would take them.

I did take him down to the basement to hear the Quarter Pie theater. He was totally blown away. I played a Berlin Philharmonic video for him first, and switched to Revenge of the Sith. He hadn't seen any of the new Star Wars but said he was going to get a copy on his way home.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. When I designed the horns, I had to call them something. Being that it was around the holidays when I finished the simulations in Hornresp, I happened to look down and see 1/4 of a pumpkin pie in a plate and thought: Hey this looks just like my bass horn, so, I had no choice but to name them that. LOL.

That being said, I never even imagined it would become the name of a Home Theater as well!

I hope the name only sounds 1/10th as good as the Theater itself. It was impressive with 3 Quarter Pies in the front, so it can only be better with 2 more in the side channels.

Did you try them with the drivers firing down yet?

I have run across one photo of another pair with grills like this. Not unique but certainly rare.

FWIW I have a twin pair, original owner bought in 1976 or '77 in Michigan. Brought them with me to Cal in 1980. They were the only part of my stereo that did not get stolen, guess they're just too darn big.

I have run across one photo of another pair with grills like this. Not unique but certainly rare.

FWIW I have a twin pair, original owner bought in 1976 or '77 in Michigan. Brought them with me to Cal in 1980. They were the only part of my stereo that did not get stolen, guess they're just too darn big.

I knew there were more out there. 

Best thing about Bose 901s is they can be stolen easier than a La Scala.  :lol:

• Like 1

I knew there were more out there. 

Best thing about Bose 901s is they can be stolen easier than a La Scala.  :lol:

Yes, and they can be easily recovered with a neighborhood sweep of a high modulation distortion meter (kidding about the meter, not the distortion).

In my experience, the somewhat rare special finish or factory grilles on LaScalas (nearly always shipped bare bones with no finish at all), usually carried some nomenclature on the name badge to that effect. IE  TG = Top Grille (which my pair have now, although factory grilles, not installed at factory),  WS = Walnut Stained, WL = Walnut, Lacquered.   For a factory grille set, the labeling might have been FG = Full Grille, but that's not evident here. Perhaps it was user added, or a mod kit from Klipsch at the time (as the original Cornwall Decorator had a mod to add a grille via velcro).  On this pair, the number 21 in the corner of the label might be just that, not sure. For Klipsch the number for the standard Heritage black grill fabric is 17, so that is a bit confusing.  Just my 2 db on the history. You know how it goes - with Klipsch, never say never, because some of this stuff was built in unique combinations. 

Edited by colterphoto1

SOLD!

Nice young audio nut came and got them today. He tried to talk me down from my CL price of $1,200. I told him to join the Klipsch Forum and I would do $1,000.  :lol:  He did, and I did. Hopefully he will post a pic or two of his "new" speakers. BTW he has a tube amp to pair with them so he should be happy with the sound.

• Like 1

SOLD!

Nice young audio nut came and got them today. He tried to talk me down from my CL price of $1,200. I told him to join the Klipsch Forum and I would do $1,000.  :lol:  He did, and I did. Hopefully he will post a pic or two of his "new" speakers. BTW he has a tube amp to pair with them so he should be happy with the sound.

Ha I love it! Congrats on the sale. And an even bigger congrats to the new owner :D

SOLD!

Wow, a 16% discount to join the forum?  What a deal!

• Like 1

SOLD!

Wow, a 16% discount to join the forum?  What a deal!

Just passing it along. I have had several good deals from forum members, the last being K-55s from Dean, but others include a pair of Volti horns and a pair of ALK trachorns. It was nice to see the the next gen. be excited by good audio (and know it when then hear it).

SOLD!

Oh well . I wasent too keen on driving 8 hours anyway ...Grats on the sale , Hope to see some pics of the new guys system ...